Default off center support

Contractor indicated that if the post was centered the fasteners would be too close to the edge so instead of drilling a hole in the center of the plate he moved the support and put the lag right between the two glue lams. He says the 1/2 inch plate makes up for being off center. I agree to a point but would like to hear your opinions. Wayne

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: off center support

It doesn't look right. It's only being fastened with two out of four intended screws. An engineer wouldn't draw it up that way. I'd tell him to check his plans. I think he's got the wrong parts for the job.

He should just sister a couple boards on each side of the beam to "widen" the beam. The post is not being used as designed right now, which I would call out as being improper.

The beam is fully supported by the metal plate. The only concern that I see is whether two bolts are enough because the plate has four holes. Probably should have used a post with a different plate. I personally do not see any real problem with it. It will probably outlast me.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I agree Gunnar, I just had a hard time with his logic. Mabey I was puttng him in the Broker category.

John Rusinko Guest

I would say it is wrong. The center of the beam is not in line with the center of the column, there will be a moment up at plate and it will have some force trying to bow that column. Weather or not the column will bow, is not for anyone but an engineer to say. My guess is you would be hard pressed to fine an engineer to sign off on it.

John

In addition to what John said, with that being eccentrically loaded, the beam/support hinge point could allow rotation of the beam, especially with only that off-center bolt with limited holding ability being in the center of the two LVLs.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hey Jerry, What, were you waiting for me to send the report out because your timing was perfect. HAHA. It;s all in there anyway. Thanks