Jon Randolph Guest

Default Stairway Stringer Question

This is the stringers to a basement stairway. I have never seen the stringer designed like this, but can't find anything in the IRC regarding the actual stringer construction.

It doesn't look like it is anchored well at the top, not is there enough material left to provide support, in my opinion. I guess that is why they added the support under it.

What do you guys think?

By the way, my report is waiting on this, so please hurry.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Stairway Stringer Question

Is the side along the concrete wall fastened to the concrete in any way? It's hard for me to tell from the photo how it is all fastened at the top. How much of the riser was left to fasten to the landing? The side along the 2x4 vertical studs isn't much of an issue, since that can be anchored at numerous points along the way.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Ron Bibler Guest

I don't see any PT Adjacent to the concrete. That looks like a DF. Stringer next to the concrete wall.

Is the mudsill PT. looks like DF.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 06-06-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Jon Randolph Guest

Thanks for you replies.

The 2X4 between the stringer and the foundation is DF, not pressure treated.
    The stringers are not pressure treated and are resting on the floor (direct contact).
    The stringer is not attached to the foundation wall.
    The stringers are toe nailed into the header and have only about 3" bearing on the header.

Ron Bibler Guest

The dude did not known what he was doing with that stair system.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 06-06-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Jon Randolph Guest

I'm done with the report. I listed untreated wood in contact with masonry as well as improperly installed and cut stringers with attempts being made to further strengthen/support them.

Jon,

Yes, I would expect to see some kind of hardware or pressure blocking where the stringers hit the floor framing.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

That aint how we used to make em! :-)

We always notched for PT at bottom of stringers to avoid contact with masonry and such. I've never seen or personally notched that way for connection to main floor or headed out openings etc. Our stringers were generally pressure blocked to joists, beams and such as well as many more recently attached with joist hangers.

Along a concrete wall I've run into jobs where we used PT against masonry wall and other stringers up to rake wall (or other stud wall) were DF. I can also think of a job where we used/asked to use Moiststop between wall and stringer. With the advent of PT ply i'd now prefer to use all DF stringers and hold away DF with PT ply if they let me.

Last couple we sheathed/sheared under all stringers as well.

With just about all remodel/new being engineered now for structural items such as this....... who knows :-)