Thread: Water Heater

Seth Hughes Guest

Default Water Heater

Any input on this water heater from these pics?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Default Re: Water Heater

I'd complain more about the unsupported quest on the other side of that flexi connector on the TPR. 8|

Cool Re: Water Heater

I don't know which Jerry you mean, but I'll bet both of them agree the PTRV piping is wrong. Also, is that WH located within an attic? If so, where's the drain-pan? And where's the electrical bonding jumper? And I don't see any connector screws in the flue vent piping? And if that WH is located anywhere in CA where's the seismic strapping? (and I'll bet EC Jerry finds additional stuff)

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Also, is that WH located within an attic? If so, where's the drain-pan?

Right under the unit. You can see it in the photos. It looks like a formed sheet metal pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    And where's the electrical bonding jumper?

The piping is plastic. Again, refer to the photos.

Seth,

If you specific questions, feel free to ask them. Asking for input is holding a door wide open for all kinds of submissions.

Dom.

Dom & Seth, I lightened up a couple of photos and other than the PTRV piping connected to the corrugated copper I don't see any plastic piping? I now see the pan and even a sediment trap for the gas supply piping. BTW, Adobe Elements #6 is a great tool for a fixen photos.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy

Ted Menelly Guest

Does an attic constitute the home as far as copper pipe for the gas line?

Jerry,

Look at the 4th photo. Under the insulation you can see the poly crimp to the copper flex connector.

Dom.

Ted Menelly Guest

G2413.5 (403.5) Metallic tubing. Seamless copper,aluminum,or streel tubing shall be permitted to be used with gasses not corrosive to such material.

G2413.5.2 (403.5.2)Copper tubing shall comply with standard Type K or L of ASTM B88 or ASTM B280.

Copper and brass tubing shall not be used if the gas contains more than an average of 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100 standard cubic feet of gas.

Unless I can verify all that (unless I am reading in all the wrong areas) I write up copper pipe being used anywhere inside a home (basement, living area, attic) . Every time I have, a plumber changed it out.

Please anyone add input because this is what I was told and or read or tested on for years. I would like to know your opinions. The substance put into natural gas is sulfides so yo can smell it unless I am reading it wrong as well. Like I said I would like advise on this subject.

Ted

I am very rusty on codes. That is one reason I came to this site and also started reading the books again. Slacking off I guess. Need to brush up. A lot!!!!!

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 06-07-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Dom
    Thanks for pointing that detail out, old eyes (mine) sometimes miss vital details. Here's a decent web-site regarding Pex piping installations. http://www.healthyarkansas.com/phc/p...egulations.htm

Jerry McCarthy

What I see at first glance, starting with the first photo and progressing to the last photo, is:

- T&P flex copper is unsupported
    - T&P flex copper connects to PB for T&P discharge line - PB is not approved for use as T&P discharge line material
    - T&P PB discharge line goes uphill
    - no sediment trap on gas line
    - gas line bend, and weigh of gas line, could cause a kink with the gas line coming vertically up off the gas valve like that
    - what's that scorch mark above the gas valve
    - water heater setting in drain pan, which is intended to catch water in it, which will cause the water heater to rust out
    - B vent is not secured to draft hood
    - draft hood is not secured to top of water heater

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com