Post FHA home inspection sure to raise eyebrows - Upstate House

InspectionNews has just found the following information that might be of interest to you:

FHA home inspection sure to raise eyebrows
    Upstate House, NY - 1 hour ago
    Their inspection, when compared with an actual home inspection, is best described as a brief walkthrough. Basically, they look around, take measurements and ...

More...

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: FHA home inspection sure to raise eyebrows - Upstate House

The broken link to a google cached version years ago, obviously doesn't work.

Here is a direct link which (as of today, at least) does work, to the article quoted and referred to above.

(clickable link): FHA home inspection sure to raise eyebrows | Inman News

HTH.

Donald Mead Guest

Did an inspection about two weeks ago. Call out three important issue , a gaping rusted out hole in the water heater flue a big trip hazard on the sidewalk also lack of a fire door to the garage. The FHA inspector went thru and only called out caulking missing from the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Mead View Post
    Did an inspection about two weeks ago. Call out three important issue , a gaping rusted out hole in the water heater flue a big trip hazard on the sidewalk also lack of a fire door to the garage. The FHA inspector went thru and only called out caulking missing from the back door.
    The FHA "inspector" is actually the appraiser. They do not look at sidewalks, lack of fire doors or water flues. It is not part of their job, so this is why all FHA loans make the borrower sign a form that says they need a home inspection.

Fast forward......

A movement is afoot to require the appraisers to "certify" that the home is safe and that everything is ok in the house. It would kill our profession if this is to happen. ASHI is spearheading a movement to fight this through thief lobbyist in
    DC.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

It would kill our profession if this is to happen. ASHI is spearheading a movement to fight this through thief lobbyist in
    Shows what you think of the lobbyist

Donald Mead Guest

Well this house had an appraiser, me and the FHA inspector.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Mead View Post
    Well this house had an appraiser, me and the FHA inspector.
    If it was an FHA inspector it was what is called a Fee Paid Inspector, I'm one and you could be one as well.

Most likely they were called to inspect the repairs that the appraiser required. All they look at are the repairs to make sure they are done properly to meet HUD requirements, anything not listed by the appraiser and it is not looked at.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I haven't ever met one of these FHA inspectors, but I have read many of their reports which are always posted with the property information at HUD's website. The reports look pretty thorough, but when I inspect the same house for the buyer, my reports rarely resemble theirs. Sometimes, I wonder if I am looking at the same house. Recently, the HUD inspection report claimed that the plumbing didn't hold air pressure and the furnace wouldn't operate and needed replacement. But I found the plumbing to be fine and the furnace was only a few years old and in great condition, although needing a cleaning.
    However, I found a significant structural concern that was unmentioned in the HUD report.

That HUD report was from an out of state company. I surmise that this inspection company won a general inspection contract and then found a local inspector to sub contract for them here. Out of curiosity, I wonder what everyone is getting paid for these inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I haven't ever met one of these FHA inspectors, but I have read many of their reports which are always posted with the property information at HUD's website. The reports look pretty thorough, but when I inspect the same house for the buyer, my reports rarely resemble theirs. Sometimes, I wonder if I am looking at the same house. Recently, the HUD inspection report claimed that the plumbing didn't hold air pressure and the furnace wouldn't operate and needed replacement. But I found the plumbing to be fine and the furnace was only a few years old and in great condition, although needing a cleaning.
    However, I found a significant structural concern that was unmentioned in the HUD report.

That HUD report was from an out of state company. I surmise that this inspection company won a general inspection contract and then found a local inspector to sub contract for them here. Out of curiosity, I wonder what everyone is getting paid for these inspections.
    Those reports that you are talking about are done by the management or preservation company that has the contract for that area with HUD.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thier not inspectors. Thier appraisers. Real estste agents tell buyers that thier inspectors and thier the the only ones who can inspect those houses. The agents are full of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Those reports that you are talking about are done by the management or preservation company that has the contract for that area with HUD.
    The management companies are always local, but the inspection reports are often (not always) from an out of state company. I don't see any evidence that the reports are done by appraisers. Since, I don't have any interest in doing inspections for HUD, I am only curious about them, but I'll find out how HUD is handling property inspections around here.