Default too hot to walk on roof?

Does anyone NOT walk on a comp shingle roof (or any other kind) because it is so hot you are concerned about damaging the roof?
    It's supposed to get up to 99 this afternoon in the Philadelphia area.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

mike huntzinger Guest

Default Re: too hot to walk on roof?

I never worry about damage to the roof, but when its over 100 and the tile roof material will burn my hands when getting off so be carefull

Ted Menelly Guest

If it is a low pitch or should I say less than an 8 inch rise I will get on it. If it is 8 or better and 99 degrees outside thats another story. By saying that, if it is a higher rise you can see about everything from the ground. I use some pretty high power binoculars and scan the roof. With those binoculars I can see every single shingle and piece of flashing. Of course I disclose my reasons and method of inspection. The higher the rise per foot of run the more likelyy to cause damage to the shingles. You certainly do not want a home owner to be sending you the damage bill.

My opinion

Ted

John,

Yes. A soft comp roof can be significantly damaged by walking on it, particularly if it is a steep slope. I will also not walk on a roof if a seller specifically requests (tile), but will note it in the report. Around here, it does not happen much, only occasionally. I tell the people whether or not I feel I got a good look at it and will come back at no charge if they like or if I feel a better look is warranted.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Once the temperatures get up to 80+ degrees I always wear gloves when getting on the roof. Asphalt shingles get very hot, I have burnt my hands a few times when trying to get off the roof and back onto the ladder.

I always wear my "ladder gloves". They have some kind of pvc grip that helps with the ladder, especially extension ladder rope, and the roof.
    And they're really cheap!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

John, the roofs I tend to see getting marred during hot weather are the coated built-up roofs which happen to constitute about 80%+ of all roofs in Philly. The feet of my Xtend n' Climb ladder tend to leave impressions in the coating.

Hey do any of you use special roof shoes and if so, What brand? I try to get the softest soles possible but still too scary for some pitches.

mike huntzinger Guest

For the wood roofs try a pair of golf shoes from a yard sale I have almost fallen off a slippery roof in the winter with-out the spike shoes, beware of black ice on flat roofs too, i can remember a two story unit with a section of flat where the flashing was the only thing that stopped my foot from going over the edge