Richard Rushing Guest

Default Re: Florida --SB 2234 Passed

7/1/2010.

So what does this mean to home inspectors in Florida. Cliff Notes would be nice!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    So what does this mean to home inspectors in Florida. Cliff Notes would be nice!

Probably the end of associations as we know it here in Florida cause, everyone including your Granny is eligible for a license: Effective Date: July 1, 2010. Of course it goes to the Governor next and he could do what Bush did and veto it, then its back to the drawing board once again.

Jade Bos Guest

Yes I would love to a basic explanation of the new law in laymans terms.

as for everyone and their granny getting a license... what was/is stopping anyone as of right now from doing business as a home inspector in florida? I'm taking a class at Miami Dade right now and there are 3 grannies in it! I'm serious!

Jade,

Tell Michael (I believe he is still the instructor there) I said hi.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jade Bos Guest

No I have a different instructor - I am attending North campus and the instructor is... well he seems pretty knowledgeable - but he's not a very good teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Bos View Post
    ... and the instructor is ...
    At least some initials?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Pearson Guest

Hey Jerry,

This has nothing to do with the post. Just a Hello. I have not talked to you in a while.

Mike Pearson
    Lighthouse Building Inspections

Jade Bos Guest

I don't wanna throw anyone under the bus and I don't wanna put suspicion on anyone who may happen to have the same initials - the instructor is not a current home inspector in South Florida to my knowledge - He said that he's done work for FEMA and he owns & manages condo's and is involved with several businesses in the area.

Like I said I think he is a knowledgeable man, he's just a very poor teacher IMO.

Mike,

Welcome to THE home inspectors board.

You'll like it here.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bruce Lunsford Guest

It is not good. Right now ASHI may rate it as the weakest license law in the USA.

Unfortunately, it was blindly backed and pushed by both NAHI and FABI. I will of course not be renewing my FABI membership.

Basically, it's like this.

1. Take a class.
    2. Take a test, any test as no test is specified. They may even accept an online NACHI style test for all we know.
    3. Do whatever you want as there is no code of ethics or standard of practice.
    4. It doesn't matter anyway as everyone is automatically grandfathered in.

Basically, it's bad, very, very bad.

I'd like to know who all was backing it, but I suspect it was Jeff Hooper, members of FABI and NAHI.

I DO KNOW that FABI was not at all up front in their support of this bill. They apparently didn't want the FABI membership to really know what they were up to.

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lunsford View Post
    I'd like to know who all was backing it, but I suspect it was Jeff Hooper, members of FABI and NAHI.

NAHI & FABI are a given but there is another proponent of home inspector licensing working in the background in every state to promote licensing at any cost and that entity is the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors (EBPHI) the keepers of the NHIE. They would do whatever it takes to get state licensing passed just to have a shot at becoming the required state licensing exam.

States who wish to remain free of the plague that is sweeping our nation would do well to make sure that the if licensing ever becomes a topic within your state legislature that language is included to restrict the NHIE from ever becoming the state exam.

Bruce Lunsford Guest

I'm not sure how much truth there is in that Joe,

First, NHIE is a break off of ASHI. ASHI does not support this license law.

Second, Would they have supported this when no test is specified? The way the current law is written, it is perfectly possible that the very school that taught the class could then give a test to their own students.

NAHI AND FABI were definately driving forces, that I know. Jeff Hooper made a post on this very board some time back where he said that even a weak license law is better than no law at all.

That line of thinking is so dangerous I don't even have the words......

Deleted Account Guest

First, NHIE is a break off of ASHI. ASHI does not support this license law.

Does not compute, the fact that ASHI doesn't support the licensing law would have nothing to do with what goes on in the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors (EBPHI) board room... or would it?

Are you saying that as an ASHI member I am required have some kind loyalty or regard for the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors (EBPHI)? As far as I know our transaction was consummated and completed when I paid to take my exam and they provided me with my results, end of story. I owe them nothing and if they were supporting licensing legislature in Florida then they were working at cross purposes with ASHI not me.

Bruce Lunsford Guest

That's not what I'm saying Joe. Maybe I'm stretching it a bit, but you'd think there would be some loyalty there.

Bottom line is we really need to band together, raise funds, hire a lobbyist and try and get this disaster corrected.

Like I said before, but apparently Brian must have deleted it. FABI is having a meeting next month and one of the topics is the license law. Several of us need to be at that meeting and raise some issues.

Deleted Account Guest

Bottom line is we really need to band together, raise funds, hire a lobbyist and try and get this disaster corrected.

What is your plan, and what gives you the idea that FABI believes there is any disaster to correct?

My guess is, if polled the FABI Board of Directors to a man would most likely tell you not to screw with their successful passage of a home inspector licensing bill, and that you & your lobbyist should take a hike and not let the door hit you in the ass as you depart.

Just so we can compare notes... tell me what do you think your reception with FABI will be?

Bruce Lunsford Guest

I think there will be several in the audience that will agree with me, most will be clueless as their FABI leadership has lead them down a clueless path.

The FABI leadership will pretty much do as you say. I know for a fact the FABI leadership is not unanamous on this issue.

My plan is to talk to FL ASHI, see if we can organize an email campaign and start raising money.

Deleted Account Guest

My plan is to talk to FL ASHI, see if we can organize an email campaign and start raising money.

Good idea, we should talk privately I have some ideas, email me.