Default Slab leak in my home

Guys, I have discovered I have a slab leak in my own personal home. Can any of you Dallas area inspectors refer me to a leak detection service that services North Dallas/Plano/Allen area. I can find plenty on Google but have not had direct experience with any. I have heard some of these companies usessome sort of electronic leak detector to pinpoint leaks, so any info you can provide on that is helpful. I have seen plumbing pressure test and drain line test performed but have not observed any electronic means of leak detection. Any input appreciated. I have a small pinpoint leak I assume because the spin wheel on the meter appears to be rock steady. But I have water seeping from the side of my foundation and the floor starting to swell upward. Any input regarding a local leak detection company is appreciated.

Also, anyone with experience in resolving a slab leak, please feel free to give me your insight.

Thanks

Gene

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Slab leak in my home

I have used and would call Public Plumbing Services at 214-363-4477. Those guys are great but not cheap.

rick

Rick, thanks, I will give them a call in the morning.

Gene

Chuck Lambert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Guys, I have discovered I have a slab leak in my own personal home. Can any of you Dallas area inspectors refer me to a leak detection service that services North Dallas/Plano/Allen area. I can find plenty on Google but have not had direct experience with any. I have heard some of these companies usessome sort of electronic leak detector to pinpoint leaks, so any info you can provide on that is helpful. I have seen plumbing pressure test and drain line test performed but have not observed any electronic means of leak detection. Any input appreciated. I have a small pinpoint leak I assume because the spin wheel on the meter appears to be rock steady. But I have water seeping from the side of my foundation and the floor starting to swell upward. Any input regarding a local leak detection company is appreciated.

Also, anyone with experience in resolving a slab leak, please feel free to give me your insight.

Thanks

Gene

Be very careful...Choose wisely when and if you report it to your Home Owners Insurance company. I had a slab leak..reported it..insurance company required me to pay for FULL re-pipe and then they canceled me. This was after they told me not a problem we will take care of it and it will NOT go on a CLUE report. Still waiting the time period for the CLUE report.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, thanks for the tip. I am insured by State Farm. Could I ask who your insurance company is (or was). Thanks for the advice.

Gene

contact Barry Adair on this forum. he can use his thermal imaging camera

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Hi Bruce, thanks. Barry and I are in touch and he is coming over.

Gene

The Insurance coverage would only begin if there is ensuing damage to the interior of the home (damaged carpet or drywall) and would not cover the repairs to the source of the leak. There may be some coverage for repairs to the slab to make the repairs to the plumbing, but not for actual plumbing repair. If the source of water is not plumbing related then no coverage would be extended unless you have an endorsement called "backup of sewer and drain". I would suggest determine source of leak first and then speak to your agent "hypothetically" before filing a claim. You do not want to speak to a secretary who says they will have to let you talk to a claims representative, as they are filing a claim in this case. Your decision to file a claim should depend on how expensive repairs are, if coverage applies to your situation and what deductible you have. The insurance companies do keep track of number of claims on each policy for three to five years, so if you have had several already, then that is where it counts against you.
    Good Luck

William Galbraith Guest

Gene,

Was Barry Adair able to help find the leak? I use Infrared and Ultrasound for leak detection. I am based in OK City but travel to Texas often. If you need to discuss further call me at 405-570-0270.

Good luck, leaks are hard to identify.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    contact Barry Adair on this forum. he can use his thermal imaging camera
    Bruce,
    Thanks for the referral!
    and thanks to the coastal guy for the email notification of this topic...
    Definitely identified a leak with IR and visual. The rest is up to the plumber.

Gene, thanks for the work and lunch.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Hi Bill, yes, Barry was very helpful. It was good to get his advice. Wish I could afford one of those high-dollar thermal cameras myself !!

Gene

Barry, Glad it worked out.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area