Ron Bibler Guest

Default Real Estate Agent Calls The Police

First inspection of the day was more then I was looking for. Started on the out side before the agent/buyers got to the home.
    I was working my way around to the back and look at the back bedroom window noted some fungus damage at the sill then saw that someone was sleeping on the floor. So I put in a call to the listing agent to see if anyone was living at the home. She said no and then she called the Santa Rosa Police from her office. when the Police got to the home I gave them the keys. they went in and that's when all heck broke loose. turns out the Cop had 2 car thieves that had been living in the house for the past week. In 30 years of inspecting homes this was a first for me. I'm glad I did not go in. You just never known.

Best

Ron

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Ron Bibler; 06-12-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Real Estate Agent Calls The Police

Why did you have the keys if the broker was not at the home? Just strange wording. I never enter a home without the broker being there. Even if the owner invites me. Your post makes it sound like the broker gave you the keys.

Ron Bibler Guest

We have lock box codes in Calif. The agents will give the inspector the code at the time they order the inspection.

Best

Ron

I'll go in if the adult owner invites me in, most of the time.

A couple of weeks ago I inspected a place where the adult male tenant said "go ahead in! I have to go out and do some errands. My teenage daughter is upstairs in her bedroom."

I told him I'd wait for the selling agent and buyer, thanks.

imported_John Smith Guest

Key in the background music "Bad boys bad boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you".

An inspector here has called down off a ladder by the police last summer - he had to convince them his pin-type meter was not a taser.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Wayne,

Why is it so hard to believe that HI's enter homes with permission to lock boxes. Many of us in many states have the opportunity to have access to the lock boxes and the electronics key pads.

There is always the argument that you don't want the blame for something. We take that risk every time we enter a home alone or even if the broker is present.

Now most sales contract let the seller know that agents, HI's, appraisers, can enter the home during the sales transaction.

I've have never had one complaint. Why? Because the seller knows I'm coming in before I arrive. They are notified before I show up.

Personally I like it this way as I'm not having to wait for some broker who could care less about being on time or got caught up yaking with someone at the Starbucks.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    An inspector here has called down off a ladder by the police last summer - he had to convince them his pin-type meter was not a taser.
    Hi Mike,

These things happen. In March or April there were three of us inspecting a large apartment builidng on the south side by 71st and Jeffery in Chicago. I was outside with one other inspector and the 3rd was in one of the apartments.

Anyway, an irritated tenant called the cops saying there was a break in. About 6 pull up. No big deal. The oldest one of them looked all of 23. Really young. And a female that should be a model.

Spent most of the time trying to help one of them who has a termite problem and another with a water leak.

Corey

Talking Re: Real Estate Agent Calls The Police

I would never get any work done if I had to wait on the Realtor or broker to arrive. In my area the Realtor boards prohibit the Realtors from being present at the inspections. The key box lease is the only way to go. Less travel time chasing keys down and less interaction with the Realtors.
    I have had a few interesting inspections in the college town I live in. I could tell you stories....

Rick, I believe it , I just can't do it here. And brokers here in Ct could lose their liscence for doing that.I wish we could. I just always look at it as " another broker being lazy".

Ron Bibler Guest

Brokers. We Don't Need No Stinking brokers.

Wayne Your the inspector! Why do you need a broker at the inspection.

If they are not standing around at inspection they can be out selling home and setting up your next inspect.

Best

Ron

Realtors are required to open up and be on site for the inspection in Oregon as well--- it's interesting how much this varies other areas.

David Banks Guest

Never had a Realtor not show up to open the house on time. No Inspection no commission. Around here they are very good at being there on time. Being late would also irritate the buyer.
    I do like the idea of no Realtor at the HI! Most of the time they sit in the kitchen and do paperwork or yak on the phone.

We can get Supra keys if we want to. I had one almost a year and was able to get into a house 3 times.

Seems they want to treat I's as stepchildren (even though we pay the same fee for the key). Where the Realtor just puts in their pin code and get in, we would have to put in our pin code, and then, put in the CBS code that we had to get from the listing agent.

No big deal? Well, the problem I found was that most listing agents had no idea what a CBS code was, and if they did, they were not sure which lock box was on the house, and if they knew that, they didn't know the CBS code.

I finally gave it back, and just tell my clients to have their agent come by and open the house. Works fine, 98% of the time. I don't care if they stay or not - just open the door thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    Never had a Realtor not show up to open the house on time.
    Around here they are very good at being there on time.
    Being late would also irritate the buyer.
    I wish.

Why show up when the Buyer can call & get the key box code or Just Put The HI on the phone, He knows how to open Them Up.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Off the subject slightly. Has anyone started to inspect the wrong house "tract neighborhood" due to a realtor error in giving you the address. Since we all get there a little early for the exterior roof etc. I had the outside all done. The realtor told me the front door would be open, and it was. About 20 seconds after I entered the wrong house and the realtor calls and asks why my truck is across the street from the inspection. Well we determine I am in the wrong house due to her error. After that inspection I quit testing exterior GFCI unless I knew there was access to the house. The realtor and I both left business cards on the door to notify the owner of the mixup. Turns out the guy was an avid hunter and had 500 lbs. of Elk in a chest freezer in the garage that was on the GFCI I tripped from outside. I did go reset the GFCI in the garage because that is not that uncommon here. Not sure who would be liable in an instance such as that.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Realtors are required to open up and be on site for the inspection in Oregon as well--- it's interesting how much this varies other areas.

You must be drooling like me..... just think, no more waiting for agents..... what would life be like?

You must be drooling like me..... just think, no more waiting for agents..... what would life be like?
    I honestly only have a handfull of agents that bother me during the inspection and/ or show up late (typically the same ones). Most of them just let me do my thing and are pretty professional.

It is still easier to do the inspection with less people around though............

My dream is to have all of my houses be vacant, have my own access to the home, and only have the buyer show up at the end of each inspection to go over my findings.

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kondzich View Post
    Off the subject slightly. Has anyone started to inspect the wrong house "tract neighborhood" due to a realtor error in giving you the address. Since we all get there a little early for the exterior roof etc. I had the outside all done. The realtor told me the front door would be open, and it was. About 20 seconds after I entered the wrong house and the realtor calls and asks why my truck is across the street from the inspection. Well we determine I am in the wrong house due to her error. After that inspection I quit testing exterior GFCI unless I knew there was access to the house. The realtor and I both left business cards on the door to notify the owner of the mixup. Turns out the guy was an avid hunter and had 500 lbs. of Elk in a chest freezer in the garage that was on the GFCI I tripped from outside. I did go reset the GFCI in the garage because that is not that uncommon here. Not sure who would be liable in an instance such as that.
    I never trip an exterior GFI until Realtor shows up. Good example why not.

Smile Re: Real Estate Agent Calls The Police

Interesting post. I could not imagine dealing with Realtors or brokers that much. All my area Realtor boards prohibit them from being present, even if the buyer shows up. I have never (knock on wood) had an instance where I felt uncomfortable being there as the office sets it up and warns the seller of my inspection time. I had a new Realtor show up at the same time and I had to tell them to call their office to see if they are allowed to be here with me. They were not and had to explain to the buyer why they had to leave. Liability scares them. I have a keybox key and always call ahead to verify it was confirmed.

Jon Randolph Guest

Off the subject slightly. Has anyone started to inspect the wrong house "tract neighborhood" due to a realtor error in giving you the address.
    I did once, but it was my mistake. The same realtor had 2 listings side by side. When he had the offer accepted on the home I was supposed to be inspecting, he pulled his sign out of the yard. I roll up and, without looking at and verifying the address, see the sign in the yard with the realtors' name so I jump out and start inspecting. After about 1/2 hour on the outside, the homeowner came home and asked what I was doing. Luckily, I had not opened or entered the home yet. I would imagine that the combo on both boxes would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gainey View Post
    All my area Realtor boards prohibit them from being present, even if the buyer shows up.
    I very seldom see realtors during the inspection, but I don't think that they are actually prohibited from attending. I think that they choose not to attend so that they don't learn too much about the inspecting end of the business, limiting their liability. Are you under MIBOR in Muncie, or is it a different organization?

Russel Ray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    We have lock box codes in Calif. The agents will give the inspector the code at the time they order the inspection.
    Rarely down here in my neck of the woods in California. Buyer's agent and Clients are at 95% of my inspections, and Seller's agent and Clients at the other 5%.

Russel Ray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    Never had a Realtor not show up to open the house on time. No Inspection no commission. Around here they are very good at being there on time. Being late would also irritate the buyer.
    I do like the idea of no Realtor at the HI! Most of the time they sit in the kitchen and do paperwork or yak on the phone.
    Exactly what happens down here except that sometimes they also corral the buyer and go over all the California disclosures with them. It's a nice little booklet of 100+ pages. When I bought a home 800 feet up a hillside, I got the flood disclosure. If a flood gets to me, I've got far bigger problems than the flood (like the first or second coming of Christ, depending on your religion; or the big one where I've now got oceanfront property, etc.).

LOL, had that happen to me a few years ago. someone transposed the numbers on the address. House was supposed to be vacant so I show up and start inspecting the exterior. This was a very high end house and area around a golf course. While I'm in the back yard looking at a pool under construction, I notice that there is someone inside. It was the house keeper and she invited me in. I came in, set up my computer and started inspecting. There were kids in the family room watching a movie but no one else in the house.
    Now I get a phone call from my helper wondering where I am! He's at the right address up the street. Oops! I calmly packed up my gear, told the house keeper that I was done and slid out the back door. I wonder what she told the owners?

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Steve Lowery Guest

Speaking of disclosures, I've found them to be an interesting thing to read prior to inspections. The most common variances ( lies ) from them that I have found is claims of no alterations to the premises(sp?) , no recent paint, and no pets ever @ the home.

When alterations are disclosed the can be looked at more closely.

I think that they choose not to attend so that they don't learn too much about the inspecting end of the business, limiting their liability. Are you under MIBOR in Muncie, or is it a different organization?
    Mibor is the one locally that discourages Realtors from attending. Mabor in Grant county is one that Prohibits attendance.
    Not that I am complaining. I can get the inspection completed faster when I don't have the interruptions.