Dyer Francisco Guest

Default Vacation Rental Homes - what classification?

Hello - I am looking specifically at one category of homes, thinking about a new locking product (late night dreaming...) that would be sold to vacation homes. Question (first one, there are likley to be more):

- what classification of dwelling would these fall under from a requirements perspective?

Would I need to conform to hotel/motel requirements or residential home requirements, or other?

Thanks!

Dyer

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Vacation Rental Homes - what classification?

Dryer, I am having a hard time understanding your question.
    If you are asking what building code a vacation or rental property falls under, there is no real answer to that since a vacation home could be anything from a mobile home to a high rise. A little more clarification would be helpful.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Dyer Francisco Guest

sure... this will be applicable to two main types of dwellings: single family homes used at least a portion of the year as rentals - could be one week a year or 9 months, and potentially in high-rise condos as well which are used in the same manner.

Thanks,
    Dyer

If I am understanding your interest as developing a locking device, there is not a lot in the residential code except to say what it can't do. Paraphrasing here, you have got to be able to get outside the building without the use of a tool, key, or special knowledge. A little variation on the other occupancy classes.
    Does that help?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Dyer Francisco Guest

Thanks - does turning a deadbolt (non key from interior) constitute 'special knowledge?'

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dyer Francisco View Post
    Thanks - does turning a deadbolt (non key from interior) constitute 'special knowledge?'
    To Some
    No.