Thread: black rubber

Seth Hughes Guest

Default black rubber

any comments?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: black rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Hughes View Post
    any comments?

They's Got Roaches.

AC cold supply line & A coil cabinet wrapped in , sealed with unapproved material.

Replace deteriorated AC cold line insulation.

Remove unapproved sealant material [ black rubber ] from A coil cabinet and reseal with approved [aluminum ac tape ] material.

Suspect AC cabinet sealing grommet [ under black rubber ] is deteriorated and requires replacement.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

AC cold supply line & A coil cabinet wrapped in , sealed with unapproved material.

Replace deteriorated AC cold line insulation.

Remove unapproved sealant material [ black rubber ] from A coil cabinet and reseal with approved [aluminum ac tape ] material.

Suspect AC cabinet sealing grommet [ under black rubber ] is deteriorated and requires replacement.
    Billy, where are you going with this? The low pressure line looks great to me, insulated all the way to the cabinet. What is "unapproved" about rubber self-stick insulation? Would you rather see aluminum tape that will sweat like a HI in an Aug. attic? It looks like the sealing that has been done has corrected condensate problems as evidenced by the dry stains on the wood. Other than not knowing if there is a trap & if it is insulated and don't see secondary drain, I don't see a problem.

I'm not an HVAC guru by any means, but that I don't know of anything that prohibits the use of the black rubber whatever it is tape. Heck, I have never even seen a black rubber tape like that anyway. It kind of looks like a mastic tape.

If it is sealing properly, what is wrong with it?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    rubber self-stick insulation?

As Vern said, it is self-stick insulation. Works better than duct tape.

It is made like a tape so it can be wrapped around piping, it can also be cut into pieces and wrapped around the pipe entry into the cabinet.

Jerome, this would likely solve the condensation sweating problem we saw yesterday on those air handlers in that garage (didn't think of this stuff when we were there).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Seth - I have to agree with someone who responded to another post of yours where you basically said "any comments?" without stating your own concerns.
    Ok, I guess "black rubber" indicated your concern on this one, but it gives the impression you are just throwing photos out there and hoping someone will cover all the bases for you.
    This is a give-and-take process. I think you'll get more responses if you stop being shy about expressing what you think is, or might be, wrong with what you're showing us.

Kevin Luce Guest

Common used around here in Northwest part of Indiana and I've seen it used when I lived in Wisconsin. All it's doing is prevent air from escaping. Some companies use putty while a couple use caulk or duct tape (black and gray the two common colors).

In short, nothing wrong.

The black rubber tape is sold at most hvac houses and is in common use. As Kevin stated there are various options such as putty and caulk also. I don't have a problem with the black rubber.
    My concern is 'what appears to be' a plywood plenum box. I always call these things out, regardless of whether it is a H/C or cool only system. The plywood isn't allowed for heating. It's not a good idea for cooling.
    Since they sealed so well around the condensate/low voltage and freon lines going into the box ... it indicates to me that it's a plenum. Which in turn would make it improper (nor code compliant) for the lines to be running through there.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Billy, where are you going with this? The low pressure line looks great to me, insulated all the way to the cabinet. What is "unapproved" about rubber self-stick insulation? Would you rather see aluminum tape that will sweat like a HI in an Aug. attic? .. I don't see a problem.

So the Black Rubber & The Duct Tape are Manufacturer approved Materials for this application?

As well as an approved replacement for the [ leaking] missing or deteriorated Cold Line Cabinet Sealing & Drain Line Grommets ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 06-12-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Drain Line
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Other than not knowing if there is a trap & if it is insulated and don't see secondary drain,

Vern,

If there is a trap, it is on the wrong side of the vent (which is also capped, suggesting that is a service access and not a vent, which gets back to your 'where's the trap?').

Hopefully, that plywood stand is lined with duct board.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I think that is a cleanout, properly capped. The primary cond. drain trap may be beneath the unit? The vent would be down-stream of the trap if it has one, can't tell. The secondary drain from the unit is "usually" next to the primary? Don't see any drain line but i'm not there.