Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Condensate lines onto crawlspace floor

I think this is an easy one but I want to make certain. Can condensate lines from humidifiers or air conditioners, drain directly onto a crawlspace floor or do they have to have a condensate pump to pump the condensate out of the crawlspace? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Condensate lines onto crawlspace floor

Sub-structures should be keep dry and well ventilated at all times.
    Any moisture condition can cause Fungus infection, Molds and other unwanted condition.

I had one home that the HVAC installer put the aircon. drain line out the back of the stand and into the sub-structure adjacent to the sub-area access. What a mess. ( standing water ).

Best

Ron

mathew stouffer Guest

maybe you should drain it into your garden to help water you plants.

Jon Randolph Guest

Ryan & Matthew - You guys brothers or what?

If it's in a crawl space, why not just run it through the wall and outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Can condensate lines from humidifiers or air conditioners, drain directly onto a crawlspace floor ...
    According to the wording of your question ... ... 'Yes they "can" be' ... HOWEVER ... 'No, they are not "allowed" to be'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

and I've heard you don't want the condensate draining to a garden as it is not safe.

rick

mathew stouffer Guest

Well Rick legionnaire's disease may make him more normal

Out of curiosity, why don't you want the condensate lines to drain into a garden? Ours just drains into a French drain, but I've often thought of capturing the water for use on our shrubs (we're in Marietta, GA in the middle of a drought, so all water we can get helps).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson Beisel View Post
    Out of curiosity, why don't you want the condensate lines to drain into a garden? Ours just drains into a French drain, but I've often thought of capturing the water for use on our shrubs (we're in Marietta, GA in the middle of a drought, so all water we can get helps).

Thanks!
    Think About The Current Tomato Recall.

A lot of Nasties could be lurking in that discharge water.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ahhhh.... it maketh sense! I shall refrain from using any condensate water for veggies!

Greg D. Dames Guest

Smile Re: Condensate lines onto crawlspace floor

Sometimes logic is really lost. When you think about it the water captured in the condensate pan and then piped away to where ever (I don't think under the house is acceptable) is simply condensation just like what forms on your glass of beer or what ever. Now I don't know anyone that collects what accumulates in the coaster and drinks it but I cannot believe that what is dripping outside my house as being much different with the following exception. The HVAC pan is exposed to the ambient dust etc that is in my attic. The pan does not have any moss, mold or standing water so now what makes it any different than collected rain water. My mom used to wash her hair in collected rain water and she and tons of folks that think "GREEN" also use rain water. It ran off the roof collected all the settled dust and filled the old wooden barrel we had. Why would anyone think that water is any safer than the water exiting your HVAC condensate pan. Now if your really thinking about it has any one ever eaten Korean rice? Do you have any clue what they use for fertilizer? "Poop" For a side note it is a product that the US Military sells back to the Koreans from all of the Port-A-Potties they have over there.

So I for one would say there is no harm what-so-ever in the HVAC condensate runoff and would not hesitate using it for the veggie garden, I think it is a great idea.

Greg D. Dames
    Pacific Mold Assessment / National ThermoGraphic Inspections
    Simi Valley, California

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. Dames View Post
    The HVAC pan is exposed to the ambient dust etc that is in my attic.
    Hopefully your AHU pan is not exposed to the attic ambient air, it is supposed to be sealed up.

The pan does not have any moss, mold or standing water so now what makes it any different than collected rain water.
    Ever look at that crud in your condensate pan and drain piping? *THAT'S DIFFERENT* than what you get off you glass of beer or soft drink.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ever look at that crud in your condensate pan and drain piping?
    *THAT'S DIFFERENT* than what you get off you glass of beer or soft drink.
    Or the A coil of your AC.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

The most common concern, regarding using condensate drain water, is condensate from a condensing furnace. The condensate from a gas source contains acids that would not do your tomato plants much good. If the condition inside your air-handler is so bad that you can't let it get on your tomato plant, you might want to consider having an air quality/mold test!

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    --- If the condition inside your air-handler is so bad that you can't let it get on your tomato plant, you might want to consider having an air quality/mold test!
    Where You going with this Vern ?

From what I see from the outside [ I don't want to see the inside. ]

Photos taken from Thread " Filter Challenge" started by Jim Arnold 3-13-08.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

From what I see from the outside [ I don't want to see the inside. ]
    Perfect example. A well mantained system should not cause concern with condensate water or air quality. But and I re-state "but", if you let anything go without maintenance you can have a problem.

I would be more concerned with what I was breathing, in the case you show, than the health of my garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Perfect example. A well maintained system should not cause concern with condensate water or air quality.
    Oh Yeah I see those, Right Before the Builder Delivers The Keys.
    If the Installer didn't leave them out in the rain to long.

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Vern, tomato plants do like a certain acidic soil!!!

Hello Gents-

My two cents…

Draining the condensate line into the crawlspace is generally a bad idea, made worse if the crawler has a vapor barrier. Most houses would probably be able to adequately distribute the moisture before it became available for mould/fungal growth – but, generally just not a good idea.

Next – condensate from a mechanical device such as a cold-deck, AC or fridge is not really the same as one would find on a cold glass of beer on a warm day. Although the mechanism of deposition is exactly the same (condensation), the liquids are different to the extent that the environments in which they have been produced are also different.

The residence time in contact with the condensing surface, the size and temp of the collection reservoir, the condensing material, the presence of thermophilic Bacteria, the temperature differential between the hot air stream and the condensing plate, all conspire to result in a condensate of varying contaminants; some nasty – some innocuous.

For my money, there is little to be gained by running the condensate anywhere except to drain.

Cheers,
    CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Industrial Hygiene

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Ted Menelly Guest

Unhappy Re: Condensate lines onto crawlspace floor

Say Whaaaaaaaaaaat?????????? Now your scaring me. That does it I won't be getting near any more HVAC units or crawls.

Forensic Industrial Hygienist Just that title is scaring me

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Seems pretty simple to me... if you wouldn't stick a straw in the catch pan around the AC, you probably shouldn't put it in your veggies either.

However if you just wanted to save a little water for a potted plant or whatever, I don't really see the harm in that. Just don't let your cat eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hardesty View Post
    However if you just wanted to save a little water for a potted plant or whatever,
    Visions of Little Shop of Horrors keep coming into my head everything someone here says to discharge it to the plants.

Feed Me ... FEED Me ... FEED ME...

YouTube - Feed Me (Git It) - Little Shop of Horrors

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 06-18-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: to fix the quote, I forgot the [/
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

OMG!

I just had to go and stick my finger in that condensate water and look whats happening. In a few hours I going to look like Stephen King in that movie.