Default Magnets on main water line

I inspected a house last week that had magnets taped to the main (copper) water line. I know that some people think this reduces hard water. There are even some companies marketing these systems claiming they can take the place of water softeners. Does anyone know what this does to the pipes and what the theory is behind this and how they claim it works. And yes I did recommend a plumber evaluate.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: Magnets on main water line

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    I inspected a house last week that had magnets -- There are even some companies marketing these systems claiming they can take the place of water softeners.
    Did it look something like this?
    Magnetic Water Treatment

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Michael Larson Guest

Does anyone know what this does to the pipes and what the theory is behind this and how they claim it works.
    Many dubious claims for these products. A little science and lots of hype.

Read and Learn

Michael Larson is compledtely wrong and must be a closed minded Republican plant sent here to spread misinformation, since the magnets have not only been scientifically proven to soften your water, but attached to your gas line in your car, the magnets will increase your gas mileage by up to 150% (which is why the oil companies spend so much money trying to malign these fine products, and hire guys like Michael Larson to say they are hype).

The magnets work by realigning the Ley Lines around your house which reverse the magnetic spin of the calcium and magnesium ions in the water and this simultaneously has the effect of increasing the thickness and girth or your personal organ (if you are male) and/or increase your breast size and reduce cellulite (if you are female) – the magnets will keep your razors sharper longer, and increase the battery life in your automobile battery (also producing less hydrogen). Consequently, according to Greenpeace, since batteries last longer and produce less hydrogen, the magnets effectively reduce the effects of global warming and also reduce the amount of ozone in the ionosphere, increasing the probability of survival of the endangered Wyoming Snail Darter.

Since your water is softer, you lose weight while still being able to eat as much chocolate as you want, and your clothes are whiter, brighter and more environmentally friendly than using those nasty phosphates and nitrates. As such, you’ll look better and smell better, and this doubles your chances of getting a date without having to compromise your normal sexual preferences or lower your standards.

You can always spot people without magnets: They tend to be mean stingy buggers, and are therefore, more likely to be seen driving around in larger, newer cars; they are also more mean-spirited and that is why they are more likely to be better paid bosses and supervisors, rather than the lower paid, but much more enlightened, magnet owners.

You can increase the efficacy of the magnets by attaching dual oriented pyramids pursuant to proper feng shui principles. It is an absolute fact that nobody with magnets on their water lines have EVER died of exposure to toxic mould, indoor radon, or second hand smoke.

Any questions?

Cheers!
    Caoimh*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Industrial Hygiene

(The statements expressed here are exclusively mine and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for fun only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended offend anyone who matters, or supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimhín P. Connell View Post
    --this simultaneously has the effect of increasing the thickness and girth or your personal organ

Any questions?

Sold !!!!!

Do You accept VISA????

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 06-16-2008 at 04:15 PM.
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimh*n P. Connell View Post
    Michael Larson is compledtely wrong and must be a closed minded Republican plant sent here to spread misinformation, since the magnets have not only been scientifically proven to soften your water, but attached to your gas line in your car, the magnets will increase your gas mileage by up to 150% (which is why the oil companies spend so much money trying to malign these fine products, and hire guys like Michael Larson to say they are hype).
    Drats! Busted!

Yes, well – Now that you’ve been flushed out Michael, we expect that you will make good on your past, and donate to "Friends of the Earth" the countle$$ million$ you’ve been paid by the oil company conspirators. I am a registered agent licensed to receive such gifts, and I will expect a notable sum of money in the mail.

“If God didn’t want them fleeced, he wouldn’t have made them sheep.”
    -P.T. Barnum (or possibly someone else)

Cheers!
    Caoimh*n

Caoimh*n,

What is your input on this thread and the potability of condensate?

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ace-floor.html

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

R. A. Wilkins Guest

It has to be true ya''ll cuz I see'd it on that there intranet.

And yes I did recommend a plumber evaluate.
    Tom, what is the plumber supposed to evaluate?

Yes I have a few questions. How does it work on your auto's gas line? What type of magnets are used. And how do they attach so not to fall off when you hit a bump. With the price of gas going up I would try anything.

Steve Reilly
    Owl Inspection Services
    Villa Park IL

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Richard Stanley Guest

"And how do they attach so not to fall off when you hit a bump."

Duct tape - of course!

archivoyeur Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post

Duct tape - of course!
    Alternately, you can drop them right into the gas tank, BUT not if you are already using Bean treatments in the tank...

Richard Stanley Guest

Ok, I gotta hear this - what is Bean treatment????

Mike Truss Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimhín P. Connell View Post
    Michael Larson is completely wrong and must be a closed minded Republican
    As opposed to an open minded Democrat who is always willing to accept ludicrous claims as fact.

Duct tape - of course!
    Not just any duct tape though. Code approved structural duct tape.

archivoyeur Guest

Ok, I gotta hear this - what is Bean treatment????
    Some years ago a relative was quite excited to be "let in" on a secret gas extending Pill. Of course it was secret because the oil industries didn't want anyone to use LESS gas than they already used. The secret technology had supposedly been in use in Europe for some time, where everyone knows the much higher price of gas is very prohibitive and drivers need every advantage when it comes to stretching their gas.

Turned out there was a noteable marketting campaign that ranked right up there with the Sonic Stain Remover in the 3 a.m. T.V. viewing slot. Some secret!

When the time tested, highly confidential, marvelous, magical bottle of Gas Extending Pills arrived with instructions to use "one with every fill-up", we were simply amazed at how much the Pills resembled pinto beans.

Never heard from the relative how much extra gas was generated. Car was sold that summer.

Richard Stanley Guest

Ha. That ranks up there with the old mail order automatic fly killer. You got 2 pieces of wood with instructions - "place fly on one piece - squash fly with other piece".