Ted Menelly Guest

Default How much for a home inspection

I just received a call for a home inspection. How much do you charge for a home inspection? I went thru my normal spiel. After finding out the basics and being stopped several times with "how much do you charge" I finally got to "Do you want a termite inspection as well" answer " I just want a price for a home inspection, you know what, thanks for your help, I'll call elsewhwere"

Hmmmmm, don't you just love it.

Ted

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: How much for a home inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    -- How much do you charge for a home inspection?

Ted
    How Much You Got !

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Good reply Billy.

Mine was usually, "Wrong question."
    After a pause they would say something like "What should I ask?"
    I'd say, "Ask me what my qualifications are."
    If they didn't, conversation over.
    Funny how after being in this business for years you could instantly tell the difference between a phone caller looking for a "low bidder" or a new home inspector checking out his/her competition.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Billy,

I liked "You can't afford me." as that always provoked the question:

"What do you mean "I can't afford you."? Why not?"

To which I would reply "Because you asked the price first, my clients and referrals either ask last or not at all."

My responses varied from time to time and as I felt like it, but essentially with that tone - If you have to ask how much fuel that 100 foot yacht uses, you can't afford to buy it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kelly View Post
    I know it pisses me off when I call a business for a price and get a song and dance.
    I was losing all patience, getting older I guess, with "how much for a home inspection". I would let many slide if I could not even get basic info from them about the property.

Well, even the "I am just pricing" I am going to at least carry on with a normal convo about the basics especially when you just got finished telling them you need some basics. You can't give a price if you no nothing of the home. For every one of those that you don't try, you won't get any.

Ted

Ted Menelly Guest

You know. For the longest time after being asked the question "How much for a home inspection" I would just blurt out $1622.10. I know it might sound foolish but I think I am going back to that. Once I said it I would pause and see what they had to say. Once they came back with anything, they broke the silence, I would book the inspection. (not for 1622.10) It worked more often than not. It takes them out of the drivers seat and puts you in it.

A friend of mine use to sells cars. The question would be "how much will my payment be" tell them a wild figure "Give them the opportunity to break that pause and you have them". He made a serious amount of money selling cars.

Just one approach. With me it depends on the vibes coming from an individual before I come back with a particular phrase.

I use to do the prices on the website and brochures. I don't put prices on the website and don't print brochures anymore. I use to drop a bunch of brochures off at realtor offices. Sometimes they let you put them in the agent box. Standing a ways away talking with someone I would see agents go thru their boxes and throw out flier after flier and brochures as well. Man good brochures cost to much for that. I would rather (no matter how frustrating) get the calls and try to deal with them.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Billy,

I liked "You can't afford me." as that always provoked the question:

"What do you mean "I can't afford you."? Why not?"
    Someday.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Deleted Account Guest

In the past I was converting one in three calls into inspections but these days Its probably best for everyone if I just tell the price shoppers to piss-off & hang up.

My prices are listed and I know I ain't the most expensive, but I believe what I'm charging is reasonable for my market.

Ted Menelly Guest

Joe

As I said before

Very entertaining

You mind if I use the piss-off and hang up thing?????????

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kelly View Post
    How about having a really low base price, something like $150. Tell them right off the bat.

The conversation might go something like:
    B: $150? Thats great! When can you do it.
    I: Well, that is for the new guy, he can come any time. He has only done a few inspections and needs the practice. We can send him over tomorrow and he can do it in his lunch hour.
    Fritz,

That's good, except tell them $250 (still cheap) then hire the other inspector and pocket the $100.

Wait ... do I hear 'liability' rumbling in the background ... yeah, but that $100 will pay for the insurance.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Now don't be so hard on the wack job. You have never done a market Analysis in your area? This dude problem is that he got caught.

He's no Smooth smoothy.

I bet i could get that info out of you? L.O.L.

Best

Ron

As a plumber I get the "How much do you charge?" question a lot. It is hard to give them a set answer with out seeing the plumbing issue they are having, even if they explain it perfectly they may be overlooking other things.

My solution to this is to tell them that its time & material. First hour will cost them $265.00 + parts if it goes beyond the first hour, it will cost $80.00 per half hour. This satisfies 90% of the price shoppers. The other 5% can "piss-off". I learned at a young age you can not please everyone out there no matter how hard you try. So I stopped trying so hard.

Ron Hasil