Jon Randolph Guest

Default Inspecting same home/different client

I had an issue come up the other day. I was called to inspect a condo that at was in the same addition and over the phone, I thought the same condo. If you were faced with a new client on the same home that you had previously inspected, how would you handle it?

Turned out after I looked at my records it was not the same, but my thoughts were on the following issues until I found out that it was not the same:

1. I cannot simply forward the last inspection to the new client because of the fact that it is owned by the party who paid for it, the first client.
    2. If I inspect the home again, already being privy to the deficiencies within the home, can I justify charging full price the second time.
    3. The listing Realtor will most likely have seen both reports and will know that they were both performed by me, so I know that I will have to disclose the prior inspection to the new client.
    4. I know that I cannot simply copy sections from the previous report, because some items may or may not have been fixed.
    5. What if I discover more problems on the 2nd visit that either weren’t apparent or were overlooked during the first?

This is a great board and I have learned a-lot from reading the different posts and comments. I appreciate in advance any replies to this issue should it actually arise in the future.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Inspecting same home/different client

You tell the client that you inspected it before and that since whatever time has elapsed you cannot sell the same report as it was purchased by someone else and the condition of the home may have changed.
    You handle it as a normal inspection. These inspections I have found, sometimes take longer than the original so don't cut your price. And don't offer the name of your past client without their permission.
    The broker on the last one will try to get in on it so warn them not to release the past report.

Richard Moore Guest

It's never happened to me but I'd probably call the first client to ensure they are definately out of the transaction. Then...

1. I cannot simply forward the last inspection to the new client because of the fact that it is owned by the party who paid for it, the first client.
    I think that's obvious.

2. If I inspect the home again, already being privy to the deficiencies within the home, can I justify charging full price the second time.
    The first inspection was a "snapshot in time" and you need to take another, complete "photo", so I see no reason to charge less.

3. The listing Realtor will most likely have seen both reports and will know that they were both performed by me, so I know that I will have to disclose the prior inspection to the new client.
    Hopefully, you would disclose it anyway. This business is based on trust and your honesty shouldn't be "forced" by what others might say.

4. I know that I cannot simply copy sections from the previous report, because some items may or may not have been fixed.
    See #2...but nothing wrong with saving some time if the conditions are exactly the same.

5. What if I discover more problems on the 2nd visit that either weren’t apparent or were overlooked during the first?
    No brainer! You report them. If it somehow comes to the listing agent saying something like..."Hey! That wasn't in your first report."...then you can reply with..."Yes...isn't it fortunate I was able to come back and catch that?".

Last edited by Richard Moore; 05-02-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Richard Stanley Guest

"5. What if I discover more problems on the 2nd visit that either weren’t apparent or were overlooked during the first?
    No brainer! You report them. If it somehow comes to the listing agent saying something like..."Hey! That wasn't in your first report."...then you can reply with..."Yes...isn't it fortunate I was able to come back and catch that?"."

Thats what continuing education is for.

That condo or home we inspect last month, is not the same today as it was then.

New inspection, new charge.

Leave the old report at the office and inspect the house as if you've never been there.

Cheating off the old report will make you lazy and catch up with you in the long run.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    That condo or home we inspect last month, is not the same today as it was then.

New inspection, new charge.

Leave the old report at the office and inspect the house as if you've never been there.

Cheating off the old report will make you lazy and catch up with you in the long run.

JMHO
    Yep. That's the way I did it. Usually, I did not even recall that it was the same place until I drove up, then it was 'Criminey, I inspected this place a month ago or so.'

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

IMO, as your liability is the same, your inspection should be the same, and your price should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    IMO, as your liability is the same, your inspection should be the same, and your price should be the same.
    If anything ... your liability INCREASES.

You'll have had two bites at the apple, and if you miss something that second time, the judge (speaking of the result of that liability) will wonder just what you were doing there and if you are truly incompetent if you miss it after having been given two chances to find it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

If anything ... your liability INCREASES.
    Agreed.

• That's correct.
    • You betchya. It's because you're going to do the whole thing again.
    • Same response as everyone else
    • And they may not perform the same. I don't agree with Rick about leaving the old inspection at home. I'm not there to test myself. I'm there to give the best inspection I can. AFTER I've done the latest inspection, I review the old one to make sure I haven't missed something the second time that I caught the first time. What I never do is look at another Inspector's report before I do a job. I don't even want to go there.
    • You probably will. News flash. You're not infallible. There was some old fart in Florida who might have been, but personally, I think he's Urban legend.

This is a great board and I have learned a-lot from reading the different posts and comments. quote]
    • Me, too.
    My record for inspections on the same place is four times. The sweet part was that the house was less than a mile from mine. I earned every penny.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix