Default PB fittings, Plastic Copper or Brass?

I have been reporting these fittings as being plastic (see picture), but I am not sure they are the plastic fittings ref. by the statement required by the NCHILB? I have seen this type of fitting many times and have never seen them leak. I have never seen the copper crimp type fitting leak (like the ones pictured in the 5-14-08 post). The big clunkey all plastic fittings that I have seen were leaking like a rain forest.

Question is, is there a problem with this type of fitting or has anyone seen them leak.

I am not endorsing PB plumbing but I don't want to cause undue alarm.

All thoughts are welcome. I already know PB is not the answer to the future of plumbing. I report is as "it is what it is" to the customer. Biggest problem being with the fittings.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Default Re: PB fittings, Plastic Copper or Brass?

I've never seen those before -- they look like plastic compression fittings with copper compression nuts?

In any event, the vast majority of plastic PB fittings I've had experience with have become very brittle and tend to snap pretty easily.

I think they are made of a nylon type material but don't know for sure. I also think they are still on the market, or some that look much the same.

The first time I saw the all PB plastic fittings I could not believe anyone would think they would work, and they didn't!

Question is, do I report as plastic fitting? As you said they do have brass nuts. And are they reliable? So far I have not seen any fail. How about anyone else?

It's a Brass Craft fitting, I believe they're specifically not included in the lawsuits and claims, however, I don't know if the fitting itself is a problem.

Look here:

CPRC, Inc. (photographs)

Dom.

Thanks Dom. I didn't know there were that many types. The #13 on the web page is the one I have seen leak.

I've reopened this thread because I can't find the picture of the different types of PB fittings listing which are considered "copper or brass". I think I remember having seen it from this thread. The link no longer works for me, did anyone save the picture?

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

From the formerly hosting site, pbpipe.com:"As of May 1, 2009, the filing deadline for all new Cox v. Shell, et al. claims has EXPIRED. As of December 31, 2009, the CPRC Claims Administration Office will be closed. Pending the final order of closure from the court, CPRC may be contacted by mail only." (P.O. Box 869006 Plano, TX 75086-9006)Obviously the CPRC links are "dead" now.You might find a cached version out there, or some "borrowed" images - try searching images for PB pipe or PB fittings (or Polybutylene Pipe, Polybutylene Pipe Fittings)."Inspector Paul" site still has the images borrowed from the CPRC Claims site (don't know how long they will remain, so hurry over there) Here is a link: Polybutylene Piping Inspection Charlotte NC Fort Mill SC

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I've reopened this thread because I can't find the picture of the different types of PB fittings listing which are considered "copper or brass". I think I remember having seen it from this thread. The link no longer works for me, did anyone save the picture?
    Heres one site.. Had 2 homes last week with poly where the customers were concerned and wanted more info. Polybutylene Plumbing - What is Polybutylene?
    There are several more info sites on google.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Joshua Hardesty Guest

I've seen those fittings before, and I've seen them broken. Personally I'm wary of any metal screwed onto plastic -- it's really easy to overtighten and put stress on the plastic. The most common failure I've seen with them is overtightening causing the threads to snap. That being said, those fittings aren't *that* common and I don't know how to compare the failure rates of those vs other fittings since I haven't seen them much.

Thanks HG, that is what I was looking for.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

I generally pay no attention to the type of fitting if PB2110 is present.
    It needs to be replaced....