Ted Menelly Guest

Default What wording to use about windows

There were several stain glass windows in the home I inspected today. The only glass for these windows was the stain glass themselves.

I am just curious how other folks would word their report

Thanks
    Ted

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Jon Randolph Guest

Default Re: What wording to use about windows

Were these in bedrooms? Was there another means of egress?

Ted Menelly Guest

No, not in bedrooms. Front foyer and office,

Just no thermal rating when even the smallest window in the home was probably 1,000 dollar low e, argon, etc. etc.

There was a stain glass window in one of the second floor baths that had safety glass on the inside. This sounds like a heat up and warping concern at least.

While not required, most ones I've seen had a protective glass pane outside and inside the decorative glass. Mainly to protect that investment from damage.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Hey Jerry

In this new age of green and 13 seer minimum and so on isn't there something in some code somewhere that has to do with the minimum thermal and or double glazing. I could have sworn I've seen some thing but can't remember where.

What are your thoughts on the bath window that has safety on the inside but nothing outside. I have seen windows like that in the past where the heat build up between the pains warps the stain glass. What about minimum secutity and or moisture getting between the pains. It would be just like a broken seal between the double pain windows. You can lean on those windows and pop them in or out.

Thanks.

Still reading, can't find anything.

Not as long as those windows were taken into consideration in the energy calculations.

At least not that I can think of.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Maybe its my personal opinion that is hounding me. You take a 2 million dollar home and make it a lavish as you can inside and out with all the latest energy conscious mechanics and insulation, heat reflective sheathing, 2x6 walls 12 inches on center blah, blah, blah and then put single pain windows in several areas (yet perfectly fitting for the home).

I guess I have to learn to (maybe) keep my personal opinion to itself.

Thanks for the info

Ted

On the one hand you have a point, on the other hand it is Art, Design, etc. Otherwise the place is just a vanilla box.
    I usually recommend to my clients to install a layer of clear plexiglass/Lexan on the outside to reduce: 1) damage 2) air infiltration 3) theft
    The heat loss shouldn't be that great for a couple windows.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ted Menelly Guest

I don't know about a vanilla box

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Ted Menelly; 06-20-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I don't know about a vanilla box
    All That And a Built In Storage Trailer.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I guess I have to learn to (maybe) keep my personal opinion to itself.
    Ted,

Yep, that is something you have to learn to do, especially if you like doing that higher end homes.

I've some some gaud-awful stuff in some of the ones I inspected, and, if you asked me (while there) that stuff was fantastic.

However, if you asked me later ... after I left and had a chance to clean myself up after puking ...

Many, many years ago I commented about a puke green-purple color painted room to my client, stating that I guess they will be painting this room first, and ... well ... my client *liked* that (named the color name) color ... and I had to retract my foot from my mouth, had that sucker shoved in all the way to my knees, I did.

Some things you just have to learn by experiencing them, sometimes, if you are lucky (hint, hint) you can learn by someone *else* experiencing them.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That place looks like willie wonka and the chocolate factory and Michael Jacksons never clever land wrapped up in one

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    -Michael Jackson's never clever land wrapped up in one
    Yeah won't be long before stuff Starts Falling Off.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

The only reason I like doing homes like this and better is because I like the time honored work. Franky this house had serious plaster work in every room but everything was darker toned and the lighting (well costly) was so subdued I had to use my flashlight in every room.

I built and or remodelled both residential and commercial all my life and had to give opinions and suggestions. When I first inspected homes years ago it was before anyone new what a home inspection was. Doing a mix of building and inspection/evaluating homes all my life it has always been extremely difficult not to add my 2 cents worth in.

Obviously you know that. I can't help it on here.

That's why you are here Jerry, to keep me in check

I kept my report in check on the windows. Just mentioned possibly adding a pain to the exterior.

Thanks Jerry

Ted

(but if that were my 2 mil) shut up Ted