Default Interesting laundry setup

Saw this on last night's inspection (house built in 1998). Basement laundry set up to sit on a wooden platform. Small set of stairs on the right to get up there. The platform seems plenty strong to support the washer/dryer. The house is on septic. The only clean out is shown here (no exterior clean out). Talked to a neighbour, who said all the houses were built this way.

Anyone seen anything like this? I guess if the buyer doesn't mind climbing up on the platform and ducking their head to do laundry, I can't immediately see a problem here. I am going to recommend that the black power line be run through the studs, rather than just loosely run behind the PVC.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Interesting laundry setup

It looks like the platform was built to make the drain for the washing machine work out properly with the manufactures supplied drain hose. I had rather see the platform than drain hose that has been modified to "fit".

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Crouse View Post
    ducking their head to do laundry,
    What is the head room, sounds like it does not meet minimum head room requirements.

Also, you did write that exposed paper facing up in the insulation, right?

And the fact that it is backward, you got that too, right?

Also looks like all the wood the plumber used for support is not PT.

Not even mentioning that the recessed washer box is to be supported properly and that it is to support the valves and pipe, not the other way around (oh, wait, I did just mention that, didn't I ).

How high is that platform and the stairs? Over 30" (needs guardrail)?

How many risers in that stair? If four or more, then it needs a handrail.

If the stair has a total rise of more than 30", it too (like the platform) requires a guardrail.

All I have are questions, and more questions.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

I'm sure he saw all those items...he only asked for opinions about the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    It looks like the platform was built to make the drain for the washing machine work out properly with the manufactures supplied drain hose. I had rather see the platform than drain hose that has been modified to "fit".

?????
    Build a Platform instead of cutting a piece of hose ?

I'd be more concerned about all the houses build like that meaning the basements are prone to flooding.

http:washer and dryeraccessories washer drain hose - Washer and Dryer Accessories - Shopping.com

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, all the walls down there were insulated that way (I suspect a home improvement project). The insulation in the ceiling was okay, which was probably done by the builder. The platform was 2' high. Those 2x4 pieces on the wall were not PT.

I did not catch the unsupported washer box, so thanks!!!

If the platform was not there, I wonder how that would affect the washer's ability to pump the water up that extra 2 feet. Probably would at least put extra stress on it.

Thanks again.

Brother in Law had a throne in the basement like that. Same reason. Get the toilet up above the drain.

Real head knocker!

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Brent,

Something I didn't see the first time but did when I just looked again - looks like that dryer vent extension is the foil type stuff not allowed to be used for that use.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

Flex aluminum vent extension is okay, isn't it?

Flex aluminum
    Brent,

Is it flexible aluminum foil (basically aluminumized mylar) or that flexible aluminum duct?

In the photo it looks more like that slinky aluminumized mylar stuff - which is not allowed.

The real flexible aluminum (easy to tell and feel the difference) is okay.

If it collapses up like a slinky and you can extend it back out (like it was an accordion), that is that aluminumized junk.

If it comes all collapsed up into a short piece and you stretch it out (and it usually dents and deforms when trying to collapse it back), then that stuff is okay.

Looks like I can see the spiral wound slinky inside, that's why I think it is that foil stuff. That is only approved for use as "air duct", i.e., such as exhaust from a bath fan.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

You may be right. It does seem to angle down quickly from the vent in the wall. Although, to me it just doesn't look like the spiral flex duct. When I zoom in on the picture, the duct looks pretty smooth between ridges. The crappy stuff usually has more of a wrinkled texture.

Well, from a plumbers perspective, it looks like someone did not want to spend the moneys to install an ejector pump. Here in Illinois the purpose of an overhead sewer is to keep the sewer from backing up into the basement. This drain set up defeats that purpose. When there is a back up it will overflow out of that drain since it now is the lowest drain point in the system.

Here if its just the laundry you can use a pump in a box setup. Basically a sump effluent pump in a sealed box with a vent. It would be easy enough to install here. Drain Pump System by Zoeller Pump Company

It would eliminate the need of that platform and bring back the protection of having an overhead sewer. About the clean out most codes state there must be a clean out easily accessible with in a foot of the foundation, it can be inside our outside.

Just was looking at the picture a bit closer. Where does that vent for the drain goto, or does it just stop in the rafters? I have a sinking feeling the homeowner did this him/herself or had a handyman do the plumbing.

Last edited by Ron Hasil; 06-23-2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Adding a bit on Vent

Although, to me it just doesn't look like the spiral flex duct. When I zoom in on the picture, the duct looks pretty smooth between ridges.
    Brent,

"pretty smooth between ridges"

The spiral wound air duct has those ridges.

The flexible aluminum duct is more evenly corrugated and does not have "ridges" which the spiral wound type has.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com