Dave Mortensen Guest

Default Advice on a new handheld pc

I want to buy another handheld pc with the Windows platform, does anybody have any good ideas? I'm looking at a HP with GPS on it that looks good. but it's $500. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Advice on a new handheld pc

Dave,

Let me know too. I broke my last one and have not replaced it because of the cost. I had expected them to go down in price, not up. At this point, I am not replacing it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ted Menelly Guest

imported_John Smith Guest

Buy the most expensive one you can afford. I bought one about 5 years ago that still does everything I need it to. I paid about $600 then. Lots of flexibility built into it for upgrading. I too had the GPS addition. It isnt anywhere near as good as the new Garmin Nuvi I just bought (and got a bargain on it at Best Buy). It was rated #1 in Consumer Reports. Makes my old GPS look as obsolete as a key map. Satellite aquisition is practically instant now.

Ted Menelly Guest

I bought a Garmin and had concerns, problems right away. I went to go on Garmins site and it would not come up. I bought it a month ago and brought it back a few days later. I bought a Tom Tom one XL. large screen It has been fool proof for a month. Obviously strickly for navigation.

Ted

Dave,

You need to exam what you want to do. For example, I run 3D and am using an older iPaq. It is dedicated to just running 3D. I have a dedicated GPS in my truck that is bulletproof and never crashes.

Why run older technology? Cost - all tech products drop dramatically in price after the 1st year. My choice is to take advantage of Craig's list or eBay and buy older products. Yes, there is a risk but ask questions. Currently my Ipaq is running fine after 3 years, I have only have had to replace a battery. I scooped up a second unit last year for $50. Total investment for both units plus battery is $225. I expect to get at least another year out of them before I go through the cycle again.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Dave Mortensen Guest

Thanks guys, I had an old ipaq for 3D also, but it's got to many problems now. Does anybody have a specific handheld they would recommend?

Jeff Knight Guest

Dave,
    The HP iPaq 211 would be the recommended device right now.

Buy an HP iPAQ 211 Enterprise Handheld (FB041AA#ABA) from HP

It has the nice 4 inch diagonal screen and is very reasonably priced at around $450. What PocketPC is the old one you are retiring ?

Jeff

Dave Mortensen Guest

2003 Pro, I can't download 3D version 10 on it because it's using an older version of Windows. I contacted tech support but got nowhere. So I'm looking at the 210 on ebay for $265 (1 day left on the bidding). Thanks for the tip!