Peter Wigle Guest

Default Old duct from what kind of system?

The galvanized supply duct in the foreground comes from a 12 year old furnace but what is it connecting to? (I did mention the possibilty of asbestos from the friable edges of the white wrapping material.) Does this look like a component from a gravity furnace or something else?

It looks like a hole was cut into the bottom disk of the large diameter unit. I got side-tracked and forgot to check the other end - but you can see that it seems to have been 'squished' into a somewhat rectangular shape as it goes through the floor above.

Thanks,

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Old duct from what kind of system?

Peter,

By the raging lack of responses, I would expect that no one has any idea as to what this is. Including myself. Sorry.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Richard Moore Guest

"Does this look like a component from a gravity furnace or something else?"

That would be my best guess, but only that, a guess. The wrapped duct looks about the normal size for one of those old beasts.

Another guess...Was everything on the main floor supplied by newer ducts and floor registers with that old duct feeding an upper (maybe half) floor? Easier to re-use it than to try to install a new supply duct.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Richard Moore; 06-25-2008 at 11:36 PM.

yes more than likely an old octopus leftover, and that Asbestos will be on ducts in the walls also and while it would be considered encapsulated within the walls, if any remodelingf is done and Asbestos is exposed it would have to be removed at that time, and you don't want to be getting that phone call.
    Also there is always the chance of Asbestos fiber being pulled into the ductwork and therefore the home air by the vacume created by the air moving through the duct. Those are 50/50 deal busters,

Peter Wigle Guest

Thanks guys,

Yes, I think it was going to the second floor (of 1.5 storey) - probably would not have left that old component in the system if it was just a boot to serve the floor immediately above - wish I had remembered to follow-up while I was there.

Good point about asbestos in the wall and possibity of leakage into the airflow. I will add that to my report!

Old gravity feed octopus. White stuff usually asbestos, at least around here.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Peter,
    I see these types of old ducts quite frequently around here, most of which are still present in 50 yr or older homes. The biggest problem as I see it is the asbestos wrap around these ducts. The friable asbestos material can be picked up in the air stream resulting in exposure to the occupants. I always recommend the boots be removed by a qualified HVAC contractor.

Bob

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI