Default Smart phones....

As I was merging into rush hour traffic this morning trying to drive and schedule an inspection appointment for next week I realized there must be an easier way.

While in the field I pretty much just use a pen and paper to take info down for jobs. It seems pretty 'low-tech' in today's techie world. Are any of you aware of a 'record' feature on the newer smart phones that is quick and easy to activate so I can just record both sides of a phone call and copy down the info later? In an mp3 format would be my dream so I could just pop it into my pc later and listen but I realize that's dreaming.

I'm about to make the plunge into a data phone of some type and am curious if this feature exists.

If not, how do you guys take down info while on the run? These days I can't afford to miss many calls and it gets to be a bit of a juggling act at times

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Smart phones....

Service using your existing phone.
    Welcome to CallRecorderCard.net

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

I have a razor. All I do is hit the record button. As far a down loading to your computer I am not sure why. It would still just be a recording. You can listen to the recording on speaker and listen as many times as you want.

No matter how smart a phone you get or software to down load that info it is still just a recording. Sometimes to smart is just spending to much money. Not all smart things are that smart. I would say keep with what you have until someday you can automatically turn a recorded message into written words accurately. Either that or pull over for a minute and write down the info neatly and safely.

Just my opinion

Ted

Or purchase recorder.
    Phone Recorder - Telephone Recorders

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I have a razor. All I do is hit the record button. As far a down loading to your computer I am not sure why. It would still just be a recording. You can listen to the recording on speaker and listen as many times as you want.

No matter how smart a phone you get or software to down load that info it is still just a recording. Sometimes to smart is just spending to much money. Not all smart things are that smart. I would say keep with what you have until someday you can automatically turn a recorded message into written words accurately. Either that or pull over for a minute and write down the info neatly and safely.

Just my opinion

Ted

I am currently using a razor but haven't even looked long enough to see what it's capable of. Do you actually use it for saving job info?

I use the term 'smart' phone meaning a data phone that is capble of using as an actual modem for a laptop, etc. The older phones can technically do it but not with any real speed. My razor is cracked/broken and well past it's useful life. I'm getting a new phone soon and was just curious about the latest and greatest technology.

It is hard to beat a pen and paper for taking phone notes. I use a legal pad and just write away, if I have a question weeks, months from now I can look back and find what I'm looking for. Sometimes going with low tech is the better way.

As for driving, I pull over or ask if I can call them back. Everyone appreciates it when I tell them that I'm driving and I will need to call them back in a few minutes.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    As I was merging into rush hour traffic this morning trying to drive and schedule an inspection appointment for next week I realized there must be an easier way...
    There is a much easier way. Of course it isn't free. Use a scheduling service. Mine does all the coordinating between realtors, WDI and radon inspectors, sellers, etc. They email me a sheet with all the contact info, lockbox combo, description and location of property, etc.

Richard Stanley Guest

Ditto Scott. Yellow pad 101 low tech. Pull over and write - no problem. I have an HVAC friend that uses a recorder - he just asks the caller to repeat the address, etc., of the job to the record mode on his nextel phone.

Todd Stevens Guest

Admin staff and scheduling service is the way to go, if you can afford it...at some point you can't afford NOT having it. Acknolwedging that it is a tough decision to give up dollars in today's markets.

Else, if recording phone conversations, make sure you check local laws first...just ask Monica Lewinsky's friend Linda Tripp. :-)

Kidding aside, if recording, you may need to let the other person know and may have them acknowledge it on the recording. Depends on the state and feds. Nothing like jail time to running a good career.

Last edited by Todd Stevens; 06-28-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: completing thought

andrew Guest

I use a Palm Treo 700p. To record calls, I use CallRec (dowload at this link: CallRec 6.0 (for Palm OS) - mytreo.net/downloads)

To take notes, there is a notepad built into the operating system of the phone, but I also use DataViz Documents To Go (check it out here: Documents To Go - Use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Other Files on your Smartphone or PDA) which is fully compatible with MS Office.

The phone also as a very good quality 1 meg camera in it that is very useful, as well as he functionality to save and write over the pictures using a stylus pen and touch screen.

Everything can be saved to an SD Memory card (like a digital camera) and emailed, copied to PC, bluetoothed or beamed.

Of course, now I can't seem to do anything my phone doesn't tell me to do But it never forgets!