Default Truly Electrifying Television

This TV projected about about 12" from the wall, about 30" above the tub rim, and was on the GFCI (breaker) protected circuit for the jetted tub (tub only, no shower).

1) Other than common sense, what (if anything) prohibits this arrangement?

2) Other issues aside, are their any limitations to what can be connected to a circuit primarily powering a jetted tub's motor and/or heater?

3) Generally, what are the limitations (if any) of audio and video cabling to such a location/device? Though this is "low voltage" wiring, it would seem to me reasonable to be concerned about its becoming energized with with AC due to miswiring or equipment failure.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Truly Electrifying Television

How many GFCI's have you come across that did not trip when tested or was improperly wired?

Chances are that the idiot that thought this installation was ok, also was an idiot at electrical connections also.

rick

Michael,

It's more about the location of the receptacle outlet.

From the 2008 NEC.
    - ARTICLE 406 Receptacles, Cord Connectors, and Attachment Plugs (Caps)
    - - 406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
    - - - (C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Now, the "within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall" can best be described (explained) in the aspect of lighting fixtures and ceiling fans in that 'even being able to touch a lighting fixture or ceiling fan which is within 3 feet horizontally from the edge of tub to a height of 8 feet high is prohibited', thus, having a receptacle within that bathtub or shower zone is even more hazardous. Meaning, absence of something stating otherwise, I would interpret that the bathtub and shower zone also applies to receptacle outlets.

I'm going to go look in my handbook and see if this is addressed in there.

Added with edit:

The Handbook simply states:

Section 406.8(C) prohibits the installation of receptacles inside bathtub and shower spaces or above their footprint, even if the receptacles are installed in a weatherproof enclosure. Prohibiting such installation helps minimize the use of shavers, radios hair dryers, and so on, in these areas.

The unprotected-line side of GFCI-protected receptacles installed in bathtub and shower spaces could possibly become wet and therefore create a shock hazard by energizing surrounding wet surfaces.

Well, that was not real helpful, nonetheless, *I* would leave it to others to 'approve' those types of locations where the NEC acknowledges a risk exists, *to me* that location is 'not within the realistic realms of safety'.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 06-30-2008 at 04:35 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

No Manufacturer of These Products Allow this type of Installation.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

I found this same situation in a home. Let me ask you this. Do you want to be the someone to reach up and reset that GFCI or TV be pulled into the tub and test it to see if it is working.

All new GFCI's and or outside not pressure switch controls for the jacuzzi cannot be placed next to the tub. They must be out of reach of the tub. Almost every new home I inspect with a jacuzzi has the GFCI in the master closet away from the tub. Why? Because you do not want to be the one to test it from the tub, sitting in the water.

I wrote up with no reserves or further thought or book reading what so ever to have the GFCI to be moved from the tub area so it could not be reached with out exiting the tub.

OOOOPs the GFCI failed and my daughter got electrocuted.

I for one never want to hear that from any client, friend or anyone else for that matter.

Ted

imported_John Smith Guest

I can envision someone getting into the tub, slipping (happens a lot, check out statistics), grabbing for anything within reach, and pulling the TV into the tub with them. Code or no code, it defies common sense, and codes cant address every idiotic installation.

Looks like it would be hard to see to me anyway. Not to mention the corrosion to the TV set from hot moist air.

Code or no code, it defies common sense, and codes cant address every idiotic installation.
    Amen John

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Billy,

Thanks... I was thinking code, when it was simpler to cite the manufacturer's installation instructions.

----------

Jerry,

I'm still interested in whatever else you can turn up.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    simpler to cite the manufacturer's installation instructions
    See : Attached Visual Aid.

( Just in case they don't believe The Manufacturer. )

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Billy,

Thanks... I was thinking code, when it was simpler to cite the manufacturer's installation instructions.

----------

Jerry,

I'm still interested in whatever else you can turn up.
    Michael,

As Billy pointed out (stating it in NEC language) "110.3(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Randy Clayton Guest

I also see this to many times it should not be there