Jon Randolph Guest

Default Derating Needed?????

I say yes, but I will wait for some replys before finalizing the report.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Derating Needed?????

Jon,

Can't tell you for sure what is going on inside that wall, but ... from the photos, if the top of that panel is 24" or more down from the ceiling, those circuit need derating based on that.

At the panel, don't forget about those NM cables in that center knock out with the duct tape around them - that's not good either.

For the photo in the attic, that first 12" shown leads me to suspect that the next few feet (and it only needs another 12") are like that, meaning those would need to be derated or fanned out (spaced out to maintaining spacing between the NM cables).

Also, those holes from the attic down need to be sealed for firestopping.

I am sure you also caught the notch in the other side of that truss, and those notches in this side of it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon Randolph Guest

Thanks for the reply Jerry,

Yes I did get the NM with the duct tape (as well as several other issues). The pics below will identify some of the conditions with this panel. This house was a contractors home so there was much to report.

For that truss, it is above the exterior wall so I did not mention it. Should I have?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Randolph View Post
    For that truss, it is above the exterior wall so I did not mention it. Should I have?
    It's a gable end truss then? Not as critical, however ... no truss is to be cut or altered ... even a gable end truss needs to be strapped down, and that bottom chord would have tension on it under load, so, yeah, I would write it up.

In that one photo you circled two neutrals in one terminal, but did not circle the two above it with one neutral and one ground in the same terminals - that is not allowed either.

Good catch on that sliced insulation. That probably happened when the electrician used is NM cable slicing tool to split the outer jacket on the NM cable, if you don't do it right, or are careless, the blade will slice into the insulation just like is shown.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon Randolph Guest

I did not alter the pic that went into the report, only the one that I posted on here. The report included the original pic with a statement that while the panel is listed for doubled ground conductors, the neutrals should not be doubled and needed to be separated by a licensed electrician. I also said that even though multiple grounds may be present under one terminal, they all need to be the same size conductors. The neutrals in the pic are #12 and #10