David Cervantez Guest

Default Day-Nite (Bryant) cooling unit

Hello,
    I have run into a cooling unit that I have never heard of be for. I did find out that they are now owned by Bryant, thats all that I have been able to find out. It took some work, but I got the serial # FCFFG 14678 and model# 60 VHFC 108C
    Any infomation sure would help.
    Thanks much

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Day-Nite (Bryant) cooling unit

Quote Originally Posted by David Cervantez View Post
    serial # FCFFG 14678
    Any infomation sure would help.
    Thanks much
    Manufactured 46th week of 1978.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Think the realtor is going to argue about needing to replace it? "It's still working, we'll just ask for a warranty."

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

imported_John Smith Guest

I have a 1982 Rheem unit on my house. It still works pretty good. I get it serviced annually. I know its not as efficient as the new units, but Im gonna try to get at least this year out of it, and replace it next year. Im always surprised how quick people are to replace their units. I dont like the idea of running it to failure (especially if failure is August in Houston!), but developing a good relationship with your service tech and depending on them for advice. If you find a good tech, treat them well. You will gain a lot of knowledge from them.

Look at some of the old units on top of strip malls (old and in poor shape).

If its working when you look at it, just write it up as old and report any noticeable problems.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    If its working when you look at it, just write it up as old and report any noticeable problems.
    I have an old 1983 Jaguar XKJ, all original (except for the radio), looks really nice, runs really nice too, but ...

I would not compare that car (a classic) to an old a/c unit - sure, you can replace basically all the parts to an old a/c unit, but there is nothing classic about that old a/c unit making it worth keeping.

Recommend the old a/c unit be replaced - for your clients best interests. You can't make your client (or anyone else for that matter) replace or repair anything, however, you CAN make it so you client has no bargaining power ... all you have to do is not mention that it needs replacing, that, hey, sure, 'just get to know a good HVAC tech'.

WRONG ANSWER!

Also, verify that s/n and date, as I recall, those date codes were based on the letters, not the numbers at the end (but I'm not sure and could easily be wrong on that).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Every time I talk of age and time for replacement it never fails. The Realtors tell the clients the same thing. Well if it has to be replaced the warranty company will replace it. Most of the time the clients listen to what I have to say (you think that's what their paying me for?) and at least get an allowance or have the seller replace the unit. Warranty companies are starting to wake up with the replacement of these old units. If you do not state strongly enough in your report about the very near future cost for replacement and then they get left paying out 2000 for a partial system to 6000 or more for an entire system, you might get left holding some of or all of that bag.

That is a bag I do not want to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Every time I talk of age and time for replacement it never fails. The Realtors tell the clients the same thing. Well if it has to be replaced the warranty company will replace it. Most of the time the clients listen to what I have to say (you think that's what their paying me for?) and at least get an allowance or have the seller replace the unit. Warranty companies are starting to wake up with the replacement of these old units. If you do not state strongly enough in your report about the very near future cost for replacement and then they get left paying out 2000 for a partial system to 6000 or more for an entire system, you might get left holding some of or all of that bag.

That is a bag I do not want to fill.
    Most of my work has been foreclosures. Apparently, some of the loan holders are offering warranties. When the realtor starts talking about how the "warranty" will cover everything I tell my client to make sure to read the fine print. Will it cover pre-existing conditions? Will it cover damage from leaking PB pipes (as applicable). Could consider having HVAC contractor that provides warranty service on furnace, AC, heat pump, etc., make a service check on the unit(s) in question.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA