james.parera Guest

Default Drainage systems

Hi All
    one of my cline has recently changed his double drain sink with a single drain sink.
    I now need to redo all the plumbing to allow for single drain usage.
    I am having a hard time trying to find what is the proper way to install the disposal and dishwasher to a single drain,
    and at the same time what is the proper layout of the PVC piping.

we will highly appreciate your feed back.
    Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Patrick Martinez Guest

Default Re: Drainage systems

James can you send a pic of the sink area you are working in?

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by james.parera View Post
    Hi All
    one of my cline has recently changed his double drain sink with a single drain sink.
    I now need to redo all the plumbing to allow for single drain usage.
    I am having a hard time trying to find what is the proper way to install the disposal and dishwasher to a single drain,
    and at the same time what is the proper layout of the PVC piping.

we will highly appreciate your feed back.
    Thanks in advance

The disposal should have an access port on the side that the dishwasher discharge line would connect on to. Note: Make sure that you punch-out the port so that the water can flow into the disposal. A qualified and licensed plumber should be able to do this in short order.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

In Illinois the dishwasher is not to be connected to the garbage disposal unit.

Section 890.770 Dishwashing Machines

a) Domestic Dishwasher (Private Residence). When a domestic dishwashing machine drain line is connected to the house side of a trap from a sink, the drain from the dishwasher shall be carried up to the underside of the spill rim of the sink. Dishwashing machines shall discharge separately into a trap or tail piece of the kitchen sink and shall not connect to the food waste disposal unit.
    The way I plumbed in a single basin sink with a dishwasher and garbage disposal. Is two p-traps. The trap off the disposal is the easy one. The dishwasher one you need to make a fitting out or copper that increases from the discharge hose size to the size of the trap. I wish I took pictures to share with you.

Best thing to do is call your local plumbing inspector and ask him his preferred way of doing it. Every township I have done work in the different plumbing inspectors wanted it done their way, which still met the Illinois code.

Last edited by Ron Hasil; 07-14-2008 at 07:15 AM. Reason: fix BB coding