Thread: Plumbing Code

Talking Plumbing Code

Who has a code reference on this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Default Re: Plumbing Code

Mmmm... cozy.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Hey, that looks like a good idea. When I get up in the middle of the night, I'm bound to hit one.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Who has a code reference on this?
    WC Jerry,

These for starters.

From the IPC.

- 310.5 Urinal partitions. Each urinal utilized by the public or employees shall occupy a separate area with walls or partitions to provide privacy. The construction of such walls or partitions shall incorporate waterproof, smooth, readily cleanable and nonabsorbent finish surfaces. The walls or partitions shall begin at a height not more than 12 inches (305 mm) from and extend not less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the finished floor surface. The walls or partitions shall extend from the wall surface at each side of the urinal a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) or to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) beyond the outermost front lip of the urinal measured from the finished back wall surface, whichever is greater.
    - - Exceptions:
    - - - 1. Urinal partitions shall not be required in a single occupant or unisex toilet room with a lockable door.
    - - - 2. Toilet rooms located in day care and child care facilities and containing two or more urinals shall be permitted to have one urinal without partitions.

- 405.2 Access for cleaning. Plumbing fixtures shall be installed so as to afford easy access for cleaning both the fixture and the area around the fixture.
    - 405.3 Setting. Fixtures shall be set level and in proper alignment with reference to adjacent walls.
    - - 405.3.1 Water closets, urinals, lavatories and bidets. A water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall, partition, vanity or other obstruction, or closer than 30 inches (762 mm) center-to-center between adjacent fixtures. There shall be at least a 21-inch (533 mm)clearance in front of the water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet to any wall, fixture or door.Water closet compartments shall not be less than 30 inches (762 mm) wide and 60 inches (1524 mm) deep (see Figure 405.3.1).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Not that I would no in the slightest but it seems like it would be just fine for a local gay bar. I don't think a code would apply there (maybe legal vice code)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I don't think a code would apply there (maybe legal vice code)
    Ted,

Did you read the code sections I posted? Both code sections apply, and that does not conform to either code section.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I was just being a bit of a smart arse.

Yes I read the codes and they do apply.

I just thought the two urinals in the corner of a mens room were quite hilarious and was just thinking where code might not matter to some folks

Maybe that place of business has some Siamese twins who work there.

Hey, its possible.

rick

Ted,

My bad. Whoooosh ... right over my head.

I've seen a photo where there were two toilets facing each other in the same stall - here in the states too.

Another ... Oops!

I guess that may have been intended to allow to workers to discuss the project at the same time they were 'taking care of business'?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Apparently you guys have never heard of Bing & Ying, the famous Siamese twins? This set up was custom made especially for them.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant