Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default GFI Outlet Controlling Multiple Locations

I looked at a 20 year old house yesterday where a single powder room GFI outlet was the master reset for the following locations: two exterior outlets, the radon mitigation system fan, approximately 4 basement level outlets, 2nd floor hall bathroom outlet, 2nd floor master bathroom outlet.

All outlets controlled by this GFI were functioning properly with no visible issues or defects otherwise. Are there any issues here I may be missing? I couldn't see any of the wiring for these locations so there is nothing else to go on.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: GFI Outlet Controlling Multiple Locations

Nick - I think unless that particular GFCI device has a limit per the manufacturer then you are ok. Code doesn't limit the number of downstream receptacles protected by a GFCI.

Jim Zborowski Guest

Outside of what sounds like too many outlets / locations on one GFCI, the NRC requires radon mitigation systems to be on their own dedicated circuit.

Default Re: GFCI Outlet Controlling Multiple Locations

Nick,

I always recommended to my clients that the GFCI protected receptacle outlets should be replaced with GFCI receptacle outlet devices so each protected receptacle outlet has its own reset button right there, and that none are wired feed-through.

The cost is not much, and the convenience is well worth it. I had it done to the house we bought here before moving up here.

No code, other than what Jim Z. pointed out (and I was not aware of either).

Besides, at 20 years old, replace the receptacles is also always a recommendation I made. This past weekend I finally got to replacing the receptacles in our living room / family room, our house up here is 30 years old - guess what ... the receptacles were the back-stab-only type ... NO SCREW TERMINALS ... and probably 75% of the conductors *SLIPPED* right out when I pulled the receptacles from the boxes. There was *NO* contact pressure on those contacts.

Now I know why I have dimming lights when my printer goes on and other things go on, all the other receptacles in the house are likely the same type, with the same problem. Looks like I need to push up my 'replace receptacles' to higher on my list of things to do.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 07-08-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I looked at a 20 year old house yesterday where a single powder room GFI outlet was the master reset for the following locations: two exterior outlets, the radon mitigation system fan, approximately 4 basement level outlets, 2nd floor hall bathroom outlet, 2nd floor master bathroom outlet.

All outlets controlled by this GFI were functioning properly with no visible issues or defects otherwise. Are there any issues here I may be missing? I couldn't see any of the wiring for these locations so there is nothing else to go on.
    I don't know when the requirement for bathroom circuits not to serve any other rooms, but that has been discussed here at length in the past. I am sure someone has the NEC verbiage on that, but I don't think it would apply to a 20 year old house. No real safety concerns that I am aware of, just the lack of convenience factor.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Nick,

This past weekend I finally got to replacing the receptacles in our living room / family room, our house up here is 30 years old - guess what ... the receptacles were the back-stab-only type ... NO SCREW TERMINALS ... and probably 75% of the conductors *SLIPPED* right out when I pulled the receptacles from the boxes. There was *NO* contact pressure on those contacts.

Now I know why I have dimming lights when my printer goes on and other things go on, all the other receptacles in the house are likely the same type, with the same problem. Looks like I need to push up my 'replace receptacles' to higher on my list of things to do.
    Jerry, is that part of the "cobbler's children have no shoes" and "the painter's house never gets painted" story?
    I have several of those type issues around my house, gutters leaking, no GFCI in the kitchen, etc. etc....

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Jerry, is that part of the "cobbler's children have no shoes" and "the painter's house never gets painted" story?
    Yes Sir, that's the one.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

But Jerry, if the bathroom outlets are on the same circuit, what happens when #3 of 5 trips? It's also going to trip #1. So you will have #3 and #1 tripped, but if you only reset #3 (in the bathroom you dropped the radio in the tub), the one in #1 will still need to be reset.

Jim Zborowski Guest

I think what Jerry was saying is that if the GFCI outlets are not wired to feed thru each to the next.
    If you tie the hot to hot, wht to wht, and grounds together with a pigtail off each to feed ONLY the GFCI in that box, they are all separated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    and that none are wired feed-through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Zborowski View Post
    I think what Jerry was saying is that if the GFCI outlets are not wired to feed thru each to the next.
    If you tie the hot to hot, wht to wht, and grounds together with a pigtail off each to feed ONLY the GFCI in that box, they are all separated.
    Jim is correct.

Connect the line side terminals, leave the load side terminals taped over (not connected) like they come from the factory.

No GFCI receptacle device protects anything other than its own receptacle.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com