Default Owens Corning Presidential Shingles

Any comments on these pictures?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Owens Corning Presidential Shingles

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Any comments on these pictures?

Meaning ... what?

Focus was decent.

A wider angle might show more.

A close up of a particular problem might show it more.

??????????

Tell us what you see, think you see, and what you suspect.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I predict they will not be installed on the White House.

I didn't want to alter your first impression by mentioning the alleged problem...

This roof was installed about 4 years ago and my company inspected it about 2 years ago. There was a leak and the roofer says it was put on all wrong and needs to be replaced ASAP.

He claims the general layout and pattern is all wrong and it is doomed to leak. My partner and I went out and looked at it today and we don't see the problem.

A second roofer looked at it and said basically the same thing, although he conceded he doesn't install these roofs. So, he's likely not the best resource.

Matt,
    Could not find Owens Corning Presidential Series @ installation instruction download page.

See attached.

If it was not leaking 2 years ago ask them to call the original installer.

Let him explain if, why & where.

Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Certainteed makes the Presidential (c) series shingles. Is it Certainteed or Owens Corning ?(if Owens Corning, Billy has it nailed most likely). If it is Certainteed-- their installation instructions are on- line, or you can borrow my book they send out if you would like (in case you want the installation instructions with you if you go back out there).

Matt,

You say it has been 2 years-- you should be off the hook no matter what, since we are supposed to be liable for only a year. If it was installed 4 years ago, and installed improperly then the original installer will not be off the hook (unless it was the homeowner that installed the roof which is not likely, or it would be 3 tab )

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    Matt,

You say it has been 2 years-- you should be off the hook no matter what, since we are supposed to be liable for only a year. If it was installed 4 years ago, and installed improperly then the original installer will not be off the hook (unless it was the homeowner that installed the roof which is not likely, or it would be 3 tab )

Too funny.... your train of thought was exactly like mine... but it was the homeowner/contractor/flipper who installed it.

I'm a bit relieved to not have all you guys say it's totally wrong and it's obvious. Even the leakage is a bit odd. There's a stain in the bathroom but no signs in the attic or elsewhere. The owner was away from about 4 months and when she got home (May) there was wet sheetrock. I'm not clear on why I'm just now being called about it.

There's really nothing I can see that my guy missed while he was out there. These roofs are fairly rare and I don't think we can be held responsible for knowing every manufacturer's spec on every type of roof in the world.

I'm really just trying to help the lady from getting bad advice from a hungry contractor.

I'm really just trying to help the lady from getting bad advice from a hungry contractor.
    I figured as much, but figured I would throw it out there anyway's.....

Too funny.... your train of thought was exactly like mine... but it was the homeowner/contractor/flipper who installed it.
    Question: When the house is a flip, and the seller is a licensed contractor who performed the work, would that contractor be liable for an improper installation? (seems like he should).

Presidential installation instructions: http://www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonly...anual8Ch16.pdf

Looks pretty much like those shown in this brochure: http://www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonly...tialTLEast.pdf

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for the info JP...

Brandon - yep, he's the seller and contractor. And, yes, I think he should still be on the hook. I think there was even one more buyer/seller between the contractor in question an my/our buyer so it gets a bit confusing.

And, I'm not even convinced there's a problem with the roof. My pictures look pretty much the same as the pictures in JP's brouchure.

I'm going to get my roofer out there to look at it in the next couple days.

I'm going to get my roofer out there to look at it in the next couple days.
    ???????

You Inspected my House 2 years ago and NOW The Roof Leaks.

You have much more Patience than me.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Ted Menelly Guest

"You inspected my electric panel a year ago.. Now My electrician says my electric panel is not big enough to add the addition I want to. You owe me 1200 dollars for a new panel because you did not tell me I could not add on with out a new panel."

Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!! That actually took place

"You inspected my home six months ago and now I have to rplace some waste lines in my front yard. Roots have grown thru it. My plumber said it would not have happend that fast. You should have noticed everything was draining slow. You owe me" My answer. It wasn't draining slow at the time. Its called home upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    ???????

You Inspected my House 2 years ago and NOW The Roof Leaks.

You have much more Patience than me.
    It's mostly for my own knowledge and so all our guys can learn something, if there is something to be learned.

Also, right or wrong, someone can really make your life miserable if they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    ---Its called home upkeep.
    I call it ( A Snapshot in Time ) a Visual Inspection of the condition of the Property the Day of the Inspection.

Ted Menelly Guest

Now that is the exact quote I tell all my customers. Some are just those types that try to get anything they can for nothing from anyone they can.

My inspection is just "A snap shot in time"

It's mostly for my own knowledge and so all our guys can learn something, if there is something to be learned.

Also, right or wrong, someone can really make your life miserable if they like.
    Matt,

Thanks for the Post.

I hope everything works out for you.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Matt,

Thanks for the Post.

I hope everything works out for you.

Billy,

I'm not really sure I understand your point.... please explain

Matt

Billy,

I'm not really sure I understand your point.... please explain

Matt
    She's being difficult about an issue beyond your control.

As you are trying to Help her I hope She realizes this was beyond your control.

She is pointing a finger at the wrong guy.

If the area was moistened ( by condensation ) above 18% mold would grow and as the moisture fell below that point it died.

House fill of people, one after the other in the shower with trapped moisture in the bathroom. Then the home is vacated for a period of time with little or no air movement could promote growth.

Perhaps it's not the roof that caused the stain in the bathroom.

If the roof did leak there is no way for any of us to have predicted it.

I am trying to learn ( one day might be in the same situation ) please keep us posted as to the finial outcome.

Thanks.... luckily, she's really not pointing any fingers now. It's more in the gathering information phase. I've found it's better to get out there quick with my own and eyes and people than to be force fed what they said/did when the roof in question in sitting in a landfill and a crooked contractor is on vacation with my money.

I'll keep you posted...