Thread: Which PDA?????

Anthony Alderman Guest

Question Which PDA?????

I need to bye a new PDA. My Ipaq 2200 just isn't doing the job. I use Home Gauge and the thing just dose not cooperate with me. It really is not because I like to spend money on toys!!!!! Anyway I'm looking for recommendations and hopefully a consensus for which ones are the best of the bunch. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tony

OREP Insurance

Dave Mortensen Guest

Default Re: Which PDA?????

I just bought the Ipaq 200 on advice from another inspector, and love it. I use 3D so it's a windows platform, but the best feature is the big screen (4") which makes it much easier on the eyes. Free shipping from HP, and they are at Ebay, but not much savings there I found. $449, so it's not cheap. It is fast, large screen, lots of memory, wifi, etc, so far so good. David

Anthony Alderman Guest

Looks good. Do you have any trouble with it closing down during an inspection and how is the battery life?

Dave Mortensen Guest

Since I haven't had it that long, I can't verify battery life yet. I did research the issue and I believe it's about 5-7 hours on battery, also don't leave the wifi on even when you shut down the unit, it'll continue to drain the battery. David

I've been using the Dell X51 for a while now, and have picked up several on E-Bay since Dell quit making them.

I don't use the wi-fi feature on mine at all, I just use it to do reports.

I think they are called PDA's because they are pretty damn aggravating to figure out how to use.

Have (2) like new laying in the office drawer taking up space.

rick

Anthony Alderman Guest

Come on Rick, take the plunge, use them and be aggravated. I hear it's good for your heart.

Tony

imported_John Smith Guest

Im packin an IPAQ 5500 series that I have had for ~5 years. It was ~$600 when I bought it, and I havent been sorry I paid that much. Even today, its not obsolete and continues to provide trouble free service. Im amazed PDAs seemed to have went out of favor. I use mine for everything, EXCEPT doing home inspections. I just cant seem to use it for that purpose. Im a paper and pencil kind of guy for on site.

Jeff Knight Guest

Anthony,
    Yes...the iPaq 210 would be the recommended PocketPC right now. You could also look at even a bigger PocketPC screen by HTC called the Advantage here (although a little pricey)... but an absolutely beautiful screen.

Dopod U1000: buy an Dopod U1000 unlocked phone, Dopod U1000 accessories - cases, stlyus, sync, cradles

HTC – Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products – HTC Advantage: Overview

You also could look at something that is REALLY new and innovative here with the RedFly.

REDFLY

Last edited by Jeff Knight; 07-11-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Anthony (or Jack)....

I've got an unused (still in the box) Dell X51 up for grabs.
    I bought the extended battery.

Being in Charlotte I could get it to you pretty easily.

Dave

Kevin Luce Guest

I am also looking at getting a PDA for collecting information. These are the two I'm looking at. I have to call to see if the home inspection software I use will work with windows mobile 6.0. I heard they had some problems.

At this time, I'm looking at the Pharos Traveler 535e PDA http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A1283608&cs=19&c=us&l=en&st =ena%20data%20feed&dgc=ST&cid=25689&lid=584388

or the Mogul GTS 6800 http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?filterString=PDA_Smartphone_Phone_Ch ar&id12=UHP_PhonesTab_Link_PDAandSmartphones. Located at the bottom of the website page.

Both have about 4 hours of battery life and come with a voice recorder which I still think is nice to have when doing home inspections.

I don't want to change the subject started here but for the home inspectors that use a PDA, I'm hoping to get some feed back on what you think of using a PDA on a different thread.

Kevin, my IPAQ runs the Pharos GPS software. I thought it was pretty good until I bought a new Garmin 760 stand alone GPS. Difference between night and day. Satellite aquisition with Garmin is about 10 second, with my Pharos software it was about 2 minutes. I was amazed at the difference in speed and efficiency. The voice recording feature on my IPAQ appears to have been designed for only short usage. Maybe theres a way to get it to lengthen, I just havent found it.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Satellite aquisition with Garmin is about 10 second, with my Pharos software it was about 2 minutes.

My Microsoft Streets and Trips (I hate saying anything good about Microsoft - but here it goes) acquires the satellites almost instantaneously.

I have had it on a surface and moved it about 3-4 feet with my hand, by the time I've moved the GPS receiver that 3-4 feet (probably less than a second), the movement arrow changes to show the direction of movement.

Of course, though, not having to take your notebook computer along with you for GPS guidance would be nice. I am still looking for a GPS, but my 'needs' for one are less now.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dell axim is working great for me. Lots of them on Ebay for 250 or less.
    Anyone have one that works with voice recognition software?

In the city, the GPS with traffic data is a big help. I think that they are important if you drive many miles, or only a little. The ability to provide exact location to anyone should you need to is priceless in my opinion. I know GM has their OnStar, but I dont buy GM, so it doesnt do anything for me.

Back to the PDAs, I still say buy the best you can afford. I remember I had a Palm in the 90s. It was obsolete in about a year. The way they are going with the new cell phones, before long, one of those might do everything you are looking for.