Default dryer vents into utility room

Hey, the heat from the 2 water heaters and 2 boilers dry out the damp lint, right? Quit complaining!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: dryer vents into utility room

John,

You also wrote up that foil connector as not being allowed, correct?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    John,

You also wrote up that foil connector as not being allowed, correct?
    Every time.

Mr. Dryer Vent Guest

Improper installation.

You can direct your client to our website for further assistance in your area.

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Hey, the heat from the 2 water heaters and 2 boilers dry out the damp lint, right? Quit complaining!

From pic 2 it use to vent to utility room.

MrDryerVent,

Contact Brian by clicking on the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom and sponsor a link.

Brian makes this site available for free for us through advertising on the site.

Also, while contacting Brian, ask Brian to change your name to your real name, we use real names here.

Thank you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

We have real names???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Ok, "Ted", 'fess up.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Mr. Dryer Vent????? I didn't know these household parts and components had genders.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Ok, "Ted", 'fess up.
    Ted Menelly ... hmmmmm ... TM .... hmmmm ... we used to have a TM post here, of course, though, *this* 'TM' and the other 'TM' do not post anything alike ... hmmmmm ... maybe this 'TM' is not the other 'TM' ... hmmmmm ... no, can't be the same.

(Thank god!)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Mr. Dryer Vent????? I didn't know these household parts and components had genders.
    Nick,

I dunno, 'he' certainly must have 'big ones' to expect to be able to post advertising here without expecting to pay for that advertising.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Can't resist showing my find last Friday...

See if you can find a problem with the dryer vent.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

By the way...the rigid vertical piece is a gutter downspout (or would it be an up-spout?)

Ted Menelly Guest

I don't like the foil dryer vent

I like the lint catcher but it seems it would allow all the humid air into the attic.

I don't like that flex gas line that looks like it is being pulled tight to the left

I see a pan under the HVAC unit with a drain line that does not go any whaere

I only see one drain line from the condenser coil box

Just looked again at the lint catcher. It vents to the attic space and should be to the exterior. I was looking wrong at first and thought it was incorporated into the line somehow

The pvc drain line looks pushed up tight against the flue pipe. can't tell what kind of flue pipe it is.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 07-16-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added wording, changed wording, tired, bored

Mr. Dryer Vent Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Can't resist showing my find last Friday...

While Home Depot and Lowe's sell those bucket contraptions, it is still an improper installation and termination of the dryer exhaust.

Ted Menelly Guest

Well. My real name is Geaorge Bush but since the Iraq war I had to hide out under Ted Menelly.

Oh yeah Jerry. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, No, never posted under TM

May the real Theodore Dennis Menelly please stand up. Shoot, I can't right now my back hurts

I don't like the foil dryer vent
    me neither

I like the lint catcher but it seems it would allow all the humid air into the attic.
    yep, but it's a no-no

I don't like that flex gas line that looks like it is being pulled tight to the left
    Not tight. It comes back in at the top of the pic

I see a pan under the HVAC unit with a drain line that does not go any whaere
    No problem, there is a float switch in the pan.

I only see one drain line from the condenser coil box
    Is that a problem?

Just looked again at the lint catcher. It vents to the attic space and should be to the exterior. I was looking wrong at first and thought it was incorporated into the line somehow
    yep, exterior

The pvc drain line looks pushed up tight against the flue pipe. can't tell what kind of flue pipe it is.
    it's the flue for the furnace. the pvc is not close--it's an illusion
    Here is the statement that is in my report. I got a thang for dryer vents
    • Dryer exhaust ducts should be independent of all other systems.
    • They shall convey the moisture to the outdoors and shall terminate on the outside of the home in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions and
    • They shall be equipped with a back-draft damper.
    • Screens shall not be installed at the termination of the duct because screens and screws can trap lint.
    • Exhaust ducts shall be constructed rigid metal ducts having smooth interior surfaces with joints running in the direction of the air flow and not be connected with sheet-metal screws or any means which extend into the duct.
    • The maximum length of an exhaust duct is 25 ft. minus 2.5 ft per each 45° bend.
    • Flexible connectors from dryer to ductwork must be metal and <8 ft.

Ted Menelly Guest

The condenser coil box only has one drain line. What if that line clogs. You have one place for the water to go and that is down thru the unit and into the drain pan.

As far as the cut off switch in the pan. SO, what if it does decide that I am not working today. Where does the water go. Oh yeah. All over the drywall ceiling down below.

There is a lot of talk about switches. I might like them but I don't trust them. If you do not write up that the pan should also have a drain line in it then when it does leak all over the ceiling whom do you think they will call.

The condenser coil box only has one drain line. What if that line clogs. You have one place for the water to go and that is down thru the unit and into the drain pan.

As far as the cut off switch in the pan. SO, what if it does decide that I am not working today. Where does the water go. Oh yeah. All over the drywall ceiling down below.

There is a lot of talk about switches. I might like them but I don't trust them. If you do not write up that the pan should also have a drain line in it then when it does leak all over the ceiling whom do you think they will call.
    I agree. But then again, how much are people willing to pay for redundancy?

Beside that, I don't think I can make the HVAC guy do more than codes allow (I can really make them do anything )

The IRC allows for a pan and switch.

What do you all think about using gutter downspouts for dryer vents? This particular builder (or his sub) does this all over town.

Ted Menelly Guest

Honestly

My commitment to my clients on telling them what is good for them may or may not have anything to do with codes

I tell every client that I have ever had that they should have gutters on a home as part of their grading and drainage system, period. Do I not write it up as in need of repair, I should, they need them. But I still tell them they need it.

If I see no drain line on a pan I could care less if it has to do with code or not. If the switch stops working, what is going to happen. I could care less if a building official or an HVAC man says it does not need one by code. I write it up as in need of repair for the sake of my client and explain why.

Are we or are we not there for the benefit of our clients. Quite frankly (I am sure you have seen other posts of mine) I hate rules (yes I have to live with them) There is no good reason, period, did I say period, why I won't write up no drain line on a pan as in need of repair.

As far as a gutter down spout (not sure what you mean by the pic) I see a rectangular drier vent that they run inside walls.

Oooops, just took another look. Can't say I recognise it as a gutter but I can't pull the picture close enough. Hey. If it is the right size and they seal it up and have no screws running into it. Why not. Again I can't judge the size that well or the looks.

You know. I write a lot of stuff in my report. And you know what, no one ever says anything about. Again, I am inspecting my clients future home. I call it my job to look out for their best interest. Am I always right. WELLLLLLLLLLL, maybe, maybe not. By I will die trying to do what people are paying me for. Aren't standards and codes minimum

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 07-16-2008 at 02:41 PM.

I don't disagree with you on the secondary line question; however, should we have a third, fourth and fifth back up line too? Yes, the switch can easily fail, but it is allowed.

Just last Saturday a past client called and said he had water dripping through his bathroom ceiling. His primary and secondary were clogged. Should he have had another drain? He might argue yes, but realistically the HVAC guys have to stop somewhere.

As far as codes being minimum...maybe they are, but several are written from a safety standpoint. The guttering is not smooth, but corrugated. Will probably never be a problem, probably...but it's not smooth. It's a downspout.

I personally hate vertically venting a dryer out through a roof. Is it allowed? Yes. But I mention it everytime and recommend clients monitor for lint build up at the point where it makes its up-turn and the termination. I've literally pulled chunks of lint out of a termination on a roof....(nasty when I'm sweaty)

Anyway, I think we're more alike than different in taking care of our client's needs/expectations. I just wanted to point out the funky dryer vent termination. Oh, by the way, one time...this same builder had the downspout, I mean, upspout going into the attic where it just stopped. Everything in the attic was covered in lint.

Improved the R-value of the attic insulation with all that dryer lint on it you might say.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

"Just last Saturday a past client called and said he had water dripping through his bathroom ceiling. His primary and secondary were clogged. Should he have had another drain? He might argue yes, but realistically the HVAC guys have to stop somewhere."

I am sure that you followed the thread "Who is responsible"

That was all about a home owner that was looking for someone to blame (home inspector) when he bought a home with a 15 year old HVAC system. He changed the filter once in 8 months and then his blower motor died. The HVAC man said the system could not get that dirty in 8 months.

I told him point blank that if he was looking for blame then it was his fault. He should have had the system serviced and a service contract on the system, especially when it was already fifteen years old. He did nothing to the system but make a one time filter change and never had maintenance. He waited until the fifteen year old unit died and then looked for someone to blame.

I think you get my point

I tell (and write) all my clients that they should obtained a service contract for their HVAC system if they want it to last and run at peak efficiency and that that service will generally ward off system failure for the most part and usually wind up costing them less.

As in water dripping thru their ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    I'm sure you meant to say 'See if you can find what is correct with the dryer vent.' - that would be much easier and take up much less space.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I don't like the foil dryer vent.

Way too many other things to beat that photo up on, however, regarding the "I don't like" part, not only should you not like it, but it is not allowed either.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

My dear friend Jerry

Exactly

That was my meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Improved the R-value of the attic insulation with all that dryer lint on it you might say.

rick
    Once again I'm caught not using my brain. Obviously you are thinking outside the box. I defer to your expertshipness.

I am sure that you followed the thread "Who is responsible"....
    Actually I didn't see that thread; however, the past client was not angry with me. I provide warranties with an inspection and he just needed some info on how to file a claim.

Peace out.