Default Re: Gas

Thats for sure. We are all taking it up the ***

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Thats for sure. We are all taking it up the ***
    Not The Speculators.

Mortgages.
    Gold.

Now Oil " White Collar Oil Workers in Nigeria Strike " oil rises $$$ per barrel.
    Hope they don't Start Air Futures.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

The world needs a much slower growth but steady growth. With the rocket ship mentality it is going to be the ruin of nations. It always has and always will.

Hit a recession or slow spot and then slowly come out of it and then take off like a rocket. I think we all have a good future ahead of us but before I drop dead I am sure I will see a few more slow downs and then rocket ship growth. Unless some brainchilds come up with a formula for even growth I pity our grand children's children. I do not think I would want to be around in that time.

Gees, that sounds pretty gloomy. Hmmm Just think of China's growth in industry trying to pump out more goods than the world could ever use. What if India takes off like that. 2 countries with a billion plus people each pumping out goods for the world. Talk about world economics destroyed.

David Banks Guest

The world needs a much slower growth but steady growth. With the rocket ship mentality it is going to be the ruin of nations. It always has and always will.

Hit a recession or slow spot and then slowly come out of it and then take off like a rocket. I think we all have a good future ahead of us but before I drop dead I am sure I will see a few more slow downs and then rocket ship growth. Unless some brainchilds come up with a formula for even growth I pity our grand children's children. I do not think I would want to be around in that time.

Gees, that sounds pretty gloomy. Hmmm Just think of China's growth in industry trying to pump out more goods than the world could ever use. What if India takes off like that. 2 countries with a billion plus people each pumping out goods for the world. Talk about world economics destroyed.
    Yea but we encouraged them to become capitalist and now they are using so much material the laws of supply and demand are requiring us to pay more for everything. Oil, cement,lumber etc. I think we will be dieing about the right time. The future is so dull I need a streamlight!

I think the law of supply and demand will eventually work things out, but it is never a smooth ride. Just hang on. Remember when made in Japan was an insult on a products quality and they always carried a cheap price?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

I don't want to get into the whole economics and religious thing, BUT. Human beings are pretty much greedy destructive animals (I guess I am one also).

Higher demand and you can sell more products, make more money.

Screw that, higher demand, sell more products make a bucket load of money, and hey, lets charge quadrupole and we will make an absolute **** load of money really fast. While we are at it, lets destroy the world economy so we will be the only ones with the money.

Pretty sad look for all those aliens looking at us pitiful humans.

Watch this
    PickensPlan: Media

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Wondering if I could strap a ladder and my tool bag to one of these that I passed on the road today.

Pretty cool looking I thought. It is called a "Spyder" and is made by the Bombadier company.

About 15K for one I hear.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

I can see a small trailer behind that. Just big enough for a 15 foot telescoping ladder and my gorilla ladder. Would have to be much of a trailer at all. Probably 40 to 50 miles per gallon. That's 2 to 2 1/2 times more than what I am getting now.

You seem to have that camera on the ready all the time Rick

The bike most likely gets high thirty to low forty's. Hard to believe the bike would only be 15K. My road king is 19K and the japs bikes are similar in price.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

No, I checked out the website and they sell for around 15K. Only problem is the waiting list for one.

rick

Any body using the Chevy HHR panel truck for inspections?
    I have been eying them, the panel configuration is pretty neat and is a little larger inside than my Scion Xb and gets better mileage than the new Xb.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim,

As Ted says, I always have my camera on hand. While driving up 75 today towards McKinney I passed a truck towing what appeared to be some type of Ford truck I have never seen. Maybe it was some concept type vehicle they have. It had on the license plate " Michigan Manufacturer"

Nice looking vehicle.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Rick,

I've seen those just very recently in TV advertisements, don't remember the model name though, other than I recall it as being weird (but aren't many of today's model names 'weird'?).

I think they need to make one called Flatulence, and advertise it as 'Goes a long way on just a little gas.'

And then its Lil' Bro' called Stinky Poo.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

When gas hits a 1.85 again, I'm going to consider one of these.

Jerry,

I think it was something named "Flex" or something like that.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Jerry,

I think it was something named "Flex" or something like that.

rick
    Yeah, I think you are right.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fords, You gotta love them.

rick

2009 Ford Flex list 36.8 to 42 k plus.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    When gas hits a 1.85 again, I'm going to consider one of these.

Now thats a mans truck. I think I would like in red or maroon, deep, deep gloss.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    I saw that at the car show 2 summers ago at the state fair in Dallas.

I truly think you are going to finally see the full size truck go buy the way side for anyone but construction types that need them.

I believe you are finally going to see the more mid-size, decent power 30 mile a gallon truck appear. They have been holding off on the high mileage vehicles for to long. They have the technology to do so. I have seen some pretty serious high power, high mileage vehicles out there.

What was that commercial some , many, years ago.

There coming. Wasn't that Infinity or Lexus. I forget

Michael Larson Guest

I believe you are finally going to see the more mid-size, decent power 30 mile a gallon truck appear. They have been holding off on the high mileage vehicles for to long. They have the technology to do so. I have seen some pretty serious high power, high mileage vehicles out there.
    Those wiley automakers.
    There so smart they decided it was better to lose money by withholding technology than make a mint for their shareholders by introducing trucks people would love to buy. Ya. sure.

P.S. I have some fuel magnets I'll' sell you cheap.

I have a HHR fully loaded. It's not the panel truck though. Best milage I can get is 28. I have a 16' fold up ladder and a 12' telestep. in the back.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Mike which engine and trans. do you have?

How long have you had it?

Not that I would actually spring for it, but it would be tempting if they had the SS with the turbo in the panel configuration.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

2.4 & automatic. Preety peppy.........

Had it for 1 year this July.
    Would love to have the SS..........but the gas would be a problem again which is why I bought this in the first place.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

I see the ss is offered in the panel for '09, tempting, very tempting.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    Those wiley automakers.
    There so smart they decided it was better to lose money by withholding technology than make a mint for their shareholders by introducing trucks people would love to buy. Ya. sure.

P.S. I have some fuel magnets I'll' sell you cheap.
    Example. No, its not a big manly truck but just an example. I watched a show some time back about a man that built/rebuilt an Opel. Yeah, yeah, not a big manly truck, just an example. This car had a lot of horse power, can't remember how much. It was a diesel 6 cylinder. 125 miles per gallon and I think 175 miles per hour.

If some individual (made of money) can do that to a six cylinder Opel I surely think the big car makers could double their mileage or at least increase it by 50% in a truck or full size car.

There is also a sports car out there Ferrari, Lamborghini, something, that has hundreds of horse power and more like 200 miles an hour with 40 to 50 miles per gallon. There is an electric car out there with a 100 horse electric motor on each of the 6 drive wheels that a Japanese man built. 600 horse power, six drive wheels. Cut that way back and you still have a serious vehicle.

Build it, mass produce it, bring the cost down to vehicle costs nowadays. I surely think it can be done.

Just examples

Welcome to the real world of high gas prices. Europeans were paying 6.00 a gallon when we were still under 2.00 per gallon.

David Banks Guest

Steve Lowery Guest

Billy they ARE selling air futures. That's what the carbon credit BS is.

Michael Larson Guest

Build it, mass produce it, bring the cost down to vehicle costs nowadays. I surely think it can be done.

Just examples

Welcome to the real world of high gas prices. Europeans were paying 6.00 a gallon when we were still under 2.00 per gallon.
    Many auto manufacture's exist in the world. If it was economically possible to produce the vehicle you imagine it would already be available.

But as with all things technology, there are limits based on current technology, economics and last but not least physics.

As to Europe's $6.00 gas that is chiefly because they tax it at unbelievable levels.
    60% of the price of fuel in Europe is taxes. We are around 13-16% at current prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lowery View Post
    Billy they ARE selling air futures. That's what the carbon credit BS is.
    Send Me 12 Bucks worth, ( I'm Good For It. )

Can't Hurt to have an Emergency Supply in case I 'm breathing to heavy for the regular cost.

I once changed my own Oil in the 70's an Didn't Recycle It.

Is there an Amnesty Program available ?

Ted Menelly Guest

Many auto manufacturer's exist in the world. If it was economically possible to produce the vehicle you imagine it would already be available.

But as with all things technology, there are limits based on current technology, economics and last but not least physics.

As to Europe's $6.00 gas that is chiefly because they tax it at unbelievable levels.
    60% of the price of fuel in Europe is taxes. We are around 13-16% at current prices.

Does it matter why the cost. It was still three to one.

Oh yeah, physics. It seems someone already figured it out. If one man or company can do it, please, don't tell me another cannot. As far as cost. It will cost a lot for their first motor but once the get it right the mass production will over ride any cost. If I had 50,000,000 and produced a motor that doubled all mileage I would throw that fifty or 100 or 500 million away and stand to make billions over the long run. That much going out on one item is a risk that they do not want to take when they can pump out 13 mile per gallon dodge pic ups all day long. Well my friend, that day is over. It has been for a long time. I do not know one working (driving) person that is not looking for an alternative better mileage vehicle right now. Not one. It has never been that way.

Michael Larson Guest

Ted, if you or anyone else builds it there will be buyers standing in line to get one.

If the guy with the Opel modified something why doesn't he produce a kit so someone else can get in on it?

Over the years I have seem many so called wonder car claims from cars that run on water to 100 mile per gallon carburetors. None of which ever panned out.

If all the automakers had to do was buy this guys "invention" and produce it for the mass market they would be competing with one another for the licensing rights to this wonder technology.

If I ever trade up from my Forester, it's going to be to a UniMog. Either that, or just do downtown condos, on a Segway.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Many auto manufacture's exist in the world. If it was economically possible to produce the vehicle you imagine it would already be available.

Don't know what to tell you Mr pesimist. I am not accustomed to someone politely calling me a fool . But with that said, I will tell you, I did see all three vehicles each on a separate show. All were tested. All had rediculous power. The electric car was 600 horse and had a serious range for miles. He admittedly said that there is no way at this time for an average consumer to pay for something like this. It cost him a fortune and would be a few years for revisions and modifactions to bring it down to real world pricing.

Now, that being said. Actual testing and time devoted from each of these vehicles. I will state to you again. I do not know where these vehicles are going. They are all real. I do not know if they will ever come to the public for mass production but I am relatively sure the the ideas and conceps behind them will bring something to the general public in some way. Even if anyone of them is cut down significanly it will still be a great contribution.

Oh yeah. Did I say I did not just find these wonder vehicles online and fall for a bunch of crap. Hmm, no I don't think I did. I did see them on the tele and a serious amount of time devoted to each on the shows.

One more thing. The gas prices are here to stay. They will certainly drop some. But then in the near future rise again. As far as the europeans. I do not give a crap why their prices are high. Fact is they are and that was the point. Fact is, I do not know anyone in a large vehicle that uses it for work that is not looking for an alternative. Let me see. 30 gallon tank times 4.00 per gallon, wonder what that might be. Yep 20 bucks to the store and then a friends and home again. I don't think that is going to fly to far.

Oh yeah, do I know for a fact that any info I heard tell for any of these vehicles is absolutely true, s**t no. But it is a reality that you will see very big changes in the near future. It *will* be one of those things where people say "why didn't they do that a long time ago

Oh well, off to work again, must make some more money to pay for that gas and finish these reports and get to the next inspection to pay for the rest of the gas.

Have a wonderful day.

Michael Larson Guest

Don't know what to tell you Mr pesimist. I am not accustomed to someone politely calling me a fool .
    No intent to call you a fool polite or otherwise. We simply disagree.

Think about this:

Pessimist's are seldom disappointed and optimists often go unfulfilled.

Just a different way of looking at things.

If an economical wonder car shows up I'll buy one and be pleasantly surprised.

Have a great day.

that Ford Flex looks like Mini's big brother.

Have you guys heard of the Air Car that runs on a rotary engine powered by compressed air ? They're testing them as taxi's in India right now.

Search YouTube for a look.

Steve Lowery Guest

Joe, were you standing behind it when that picture was taken?

Prices are dropping! I did my tri-weekly fill up yesterday for $3.79 and just last week I paid $4.04 a gallon at the same station. That is about $6 per fill up less for me, or $18 a week in savings over the highest price I have been paying!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Prices are dropping! I did my tri-weekly fill up yesterday for $3.79 and just last week I paid $4.04 a gallon at the same station. That is about $6 per fill up less for me, or $18 a week in savings over the highest price I have been paying!
    How quickly we all get use to the high price then think we are getting a deal at $3 something.

It needs to be in the 2 dollar range for me to be happy.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Less.( $1.75 )

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    How quickly we all get use to the high price then think we are getting a deal at $3 something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    .Less.( $1.75 )
    I want the everyday price of 23.9 back, with gas wars dropping the price down to 16.9. Like when I was in high school.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I want the everyday price of 23.9 back, with gas wars dropping the price down to 16.9. Like when I was in high school.
    When a Good Job paid a $160.00 a week & a coke with peanuts was 15 cents.

Yep, and Baskin Robbins was .25 a scoop!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I remember being outraged when gas went over 30 cents a gallon. I feel so old.

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I remember being outraged when gas went over 30 cents a gallon. I feel so old.
    You do not feel so old, you are

Your so old you have Roman numerals on your birth certificate. ;D

Hey Jim L.

Here's one of those panel trucks you mentioned. Pretty sharp looking.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

.35 for smokes, .35 for gas. I was not old enough to drive

Ted you must have been raised up north "cause I know you are older than me and I remember gas at 21.9 cents.
    Of course that was back when Texas was still an oil exporter.
    I remember getting in trouble for stopping at my girl friend's house on the way to fill up dad's pickup and the gas went up before I got there from 21.9 to 23.9 (back when there were gas pricing wars.)
    He had saddle tanks that he would transfer to each new pickup that held about 20+ gallons each so it took close to 60 gallons to fill up or about $13 or about $240 by todays prices.
    But a GOOD job was $12,000 a year and a house was under $20,000.
    It is all relative, I remember people back in those good ole' days remembering back in the "good ole' days" And that saying that back in the good old days, they weren't all that good.
    Personally, I look at the value for what I get, like postage stamps, a heck of a bargain if you asked me. Where else could you get someone to hand deliver your letter all the way across the country for less than a buck?

Rick, that's the one. I didn't realize the HHR panel actually does have rear doors until I looked at one up close. There is no exterior handle, just a button on the dash to pop them open. I am about out of warranty on my Xb and have been looking for an excuse to trade, (warranty is my latest excuse )

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Well I guess I was driving but I do think gas was a little higher in the north east.

I remember the cigarettes and gas at the same price. The more I think about it I believe it probably was in the upper .20's

Yep, and mom used to bring home a bag full of .08 maybe .10 cheeseburgers on Friday night

Maybe it's a Texas thing and I just started driving earlier. Had my motorcycle license at 15 and the car license the day I turned 16.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

In my teen days, I owned a 69 Chevelle that had a 454. It loved the gas but strangely I can't remember what the price of gas was.

Back in those days, I only got gas at one place. It was a MOBIL station near our house. The owner of the station there had a bad gambling problem and my dad always had me fill up there if you know what I mean.

Those were the days.

rick