Kendall Goad Guest

Default Yard Sprinkler System Checklist

Just curious if anyone knows which inspection softwares have yard sprinkler/irrigation systems included?

The one I own and the few I've checked do not include it.

Thanks ahead for any feedback.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Yard Sprinkler System Checklist

InspectIt program has a section on Lawn Sprinklers

Kendall,

By the way, how long have you lived in Hobbs. I used to have family that lived there but they all moved away due to the smell (oil fields). We used to go and visit there every year. Going to Carlsbad Caverns was always great.

rick

Kendall Goad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    InspectIt program has a section on Lawn Sprinklers

Kendall,

By the way, how long have you lived in Hobbs. I used to have family that lived there but they all moved away due to the smell (oil fields). We used to go and visit there every year. Going to Carlsbad Caverns was always great.

rick
    Born and raised. How long ago has that been since you were last here?
    And yes the oil and gas does smell around here.
    Its pretty bad when you go on vacations to cities like LA and you can breathe alot better.
    By the way thanks for the info.

Last time I was there in Hobbs was several years ago. I had a uncle who had retired from the oil well work and decided to put his retirement into a gravel truck to start a business of his own.

He was hauling gravel back from Texas into New Mexico and was hit by a train.

So I attended his funeral there and that was the last time I was there.

It was a beautiful cemetary if cemetaries can be thought as such.

Never understood the hauling gravel from Texas back to New Mexico though. You'd think NM would have plenty of rock.

rick

Kendall Goad Guest

Sorry about your loss.

Not sure why they haul from out of state because you don't have to dig very far down before you are hitting solid caliche.

Which ones of the software systems are customizable? With one of those you can build whatever lists you want. I type up a custom report for every inspection.

I don't do lawn sprinkler systems. There are to many more important things for me to spend time on. I suppose if I found a bad leak or something like that, I would report it.

Most HI's inspect sprinkler systems here in our area. Most do upcharge for the service.

Sprinkler systems are very important here in our area. Some will not buy a home without one.

If you don't do them here, you'd probably get passed over.

rick

Pretty much nobody does sprinklers here in Oregon and I'm curious how/what you guys test on them.

Since it rains 11 months a year here it's not surprising we don't inspect them, but I'm still curious.

In return, I'd be more than happy to teach you everthing you ever wanted to know about moss and mildew

You need to call them lawn irrigation systems. As for inspecting them, you need to know how they operate and know about the different parts in the system, this would include the backflow preventer. They can be a pain to test, especially if you do not have a zone map and if you are by yourself. Testing them adds a significant amount of time to an inspection. Be sure that you charge for that additional time.

I tell my clients to contact a local lawn irrigation company for the inspection. Most will do it for free as they want the repair work.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    You need to call them lawn irrigation systems. As for inspecting them, you need to know how they operate and know about the different parts in the system, this would include the backflow preventer. They can be a pain to test, especially if you do not have a zone map and if you are by yourself.
    Also make sure you specify that you only test them for operation of the pump or valve, you do not want to get into 'but does it provide full coverage', or even underground water leaks, much less 'missing, loose, clogged, or mis-directed sprinkler heads'.

I.e., you do not want to make people think you are doing anything other than 'operating the system by the controller' and 'water sprayed out in at least some areas'.

As Scott was indicating, if the sprinkler is supplied by potable water, either city or the same well as supplies the house, you need a backflow preventer of some type.

I called them lawn sprinkler systems, I did not want anyone to think I was checking 'irrigation' of the lawn. An irrigation system could well include underground soakers and other things, I wanted my clients to know that 'hey, I saw water being sprayed out of one or more sprinkler heads, but I did not check them all, nor did I check for coverage either'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

If you are going to check the sprinklers Mr Jerry one would think that you checked them all and coverage. Certainly not adequate amounts of water to each area but at least it is getting sprayed on. I go to manual stations. Set each zone for a couple of minutes. check that all heads pop up, check that the whole lawn get wet, check for no Geysers and no areas that water is just saturating the soil from possible broken lines, and a back flow preventer and rain sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    If you are going to check the sprinklers Mr Jerry one would think that you checked them all and coverage.
    Ted,

That last part is what will get you into trouble. "and coverage".

It is not the home inspectors job to check for "coverage", do you know what plants take more, or less water, than others? Do you know that each sprinkler zone provides "full coverage"? Do you know that the system in total provided "full coverage"?

Certainly not adequate amounts of water to each area
    Wait a minute now ... either you check for "coverage" or you don't. Which is it?

"Adequate amounts of water" = "coverage"

but at least it is getting sprayed on. I go to manual stations. Set each zone for a couple of minutes. check that all heads pop up, check that the whole lawn get wet, check for no Geysers and no areas that water is just saturating the soil from possible broken lines, and a back flow preventer and rain sensor.
    Yes, *check* all those things - I did too, but, by all means, do not state it that way, you could very well end up installing a "full coverage" "lawn irrigation" system for someone.

I know an inspector in South Florida who ended up paying for major sprinkler system upgrades because he did not manage expectations well enough.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here is my standard boilerplate for
    "Lawn sprinkler system" (required name on our state mandated form.)

The inspection of the sprinkler system will cover operating all zones or stations on the system manually and observe water flow or pressure at the circuit heads. The inspector will not inspect the automatic function of the timer or control box, the rain sensor, or the effectiveness of anti-siphon valves or backflow devices.
    All sprinkler systems require periodic adjustment for coverage. This inspection specifically EXCLUDES coverage adequacy. The inspection is only for function of installed components, no pressure or leakage testing is performed.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Well now Mr Jerry. You are guilty again. I do believe I said

"Certainly not adequate amounts of water to each area but at least it is getting sprayed on."

I think that was the key sentence

I am sorry I did not go into greater meaning of that sentence. Just doing a hit and run while I am rounding up work.

Quite simply only to the point that each zone ran two minutes and everything got wet. Not and I repeat not, checking for adequate coverage and I write it as so.

Gees, I just saw Jims post. Yeah what he said to a T. And I must say I only check and state that there is or is not a back-flow devise and state that as such (not that it works) or effectiveness of the rain sensor. As I said. What Jim said

This is the problem with only touching on a subject on this sight and not writing a novel. But hey. What Jim said is about word for word.

Thanks Mr Jim

and coverage.
    Well now Mr Jerry. You are guilty again. I do believe I said

"Certainly not adequate amounts of water to each area but at least it is getting sprayed on."

I think that was the key sentence
    Ted,

What is key is what your client hears, and that would be "and coverage".

Don't say it, they won't hear it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I owe you an apology Mr Jerry. I did not think or see that I said coverage. OOOps

Anyways I thank Mr Jim again because I did phrase my little drop down list just very slightly different.

That's what I am talking about. Like I keep saying. That is why I am on here. Sometimes you see things for so long you don't pay attention to them, just drop and click.

From my report:
    Note: Sprinkler systems are operated only in the manual mode only with the controller. The inspector does not inspect the automatic function of the timer or control box, the rain sensor or the effectiveness and sizing of anti-siphon valves or back flow preventors. Spray coverage for the sprinkler system was not verified as part of this inspection. Coverage should be monitored for the system and adjusted accordingly to ensure even watering of the landscaping.
    Underground pipes cannot be judged for breaks or possible root intrusions.

Len Couey Guest

I know this is old posts but am in leg hikeing contest with a plumber about the bac flo preventor all of my classes on these it is required to be 12 inches above the highest outlet. If any one can let me know for sure what its supposed to be pls respond. I used to be in the valve business for refineries and they were required to install them 12 inches above the higest outlet.

Len Couey

Depends on the back-flow preventor installed and your area. Around here the valve is commonly referred to as a double check valve and is buried in a valve box near the underground meter.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Len Couey Guest

JIm thanks for the reply, I am very familiar with bac flo and all I have been taught that the unit has to be 12 inches above the highest sprinkler or other outlet not buried below ground.

Thaks
    Len Couey