Default We Don't Need No Stinkin' Wye

The vent for the gas-fired water heater (located in a closet on the main level) connects to the B-Vent for the furnace (located in the crawlspace). Instead of installing a Wye the installer simply cut a hole into the B-Vent for the vent connector. (He did a reasonably good job of it too.) Obviously, the B-Vent has been compromised by cutting it. And the connection is subject to leakage.

The owner (my client) did not know when or why this was done. (The water heater was installed before she moved in.) I can only guess that maybe the original water heater was electric and did not need a vent. When a gas-fired water heater was eventually installed (and needed to be vented) the installer took the easiest - and most direct route - by cutting into the existing B-Vent.

No, the water heater was not installed with a permit.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Default Re: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Wye

Now she has two holes in the venting system.

One seems to be acceptable though?????

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

Talking Hacks 'R' Us

Bruce, I hope your comment about cutting the hole being a "reasonably good job" was sarcastic.

In addition to being too close to the ceiling, not being secured to the vent, hacking a hole into listing venting thereby voiding the listing of the venting and probably both appliances, inspect the rest of the venting,.........well, you get the idea.

FYI, it would be a "siamese" technically since two merge into one whereas a "wye" splits, but you have the right idea and yes, that is what most people refer to them as.

This just makes it more convenient for the flue gases to spill out higher up so they don't have to spill all the way down at the draft hood. Makes for a more efficient CO distribution system. I trust the furnace has plenty of return leaks to gobble up any flue gas spillage and distribute it throughout the home in the most efficient manner possible? You said "closet" so can we assume they didn't ruin this CO distribution system with a balanced, properly sized powered makeup air system did they? Rotten buggers....

-I hope you all catch my sarcasm in this post.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: Hacks 'R' Us

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Bruce, I hope your comment about cutting the hole being a "reasonably good job" was sarcastic.
    Yes, that was sarcasm. I was simply noting that the connection was a reasonably tight fit - much better than other hack jobs that I have seen where you can stick a finger in the gap.

Rest assured that I wrote this up appropriately.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Default Re: Hacks 'R' Us

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    -I hope you all catch my sarcasm in this post.
    Bob
    There was so much sarcasm in that post Bob it dripped off my screen.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword