Bob Lynett Guest

Default Flue pipe/Draft hood installation

Has anyone ever seen this type of installation, I inspected a Wick manufactured home where the WH and furnace are installed in a laundry room area on the main floor. I have never seen the draft hood area installed so high above the WH. Everthing was drafting ok with a smoke test but I just didn't feel comfortable with this type of installation.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Flue pipe/Draft hood installation

That looks completely wrong, and I don't even see a draft hood in your photos.
    Is it a forced vent? How did the vent connect to the top of the water heater?

Bob Lynett Guest

John,

The connection at the WH was connected flush to the unit, no venting there. I thought the hood or make shift hood looked funky so I recommend a plumber evaluate.

David Banks Guest

Never seen one of those but according to this PDF it acts similar to draft hood. See vent packages page 3.
    http://www.lawsonmobilehomesupply.co...wtrheaters.pdf

Bob Lynett Guest

Thanks for the information. Page 3 states for propane gas and this heater used natural gas. I guess I am not sure if that matters. The description pretty muchs looks like what was installed in this manufactured home.

Be careful with the smoke test, it in no way indicates an appliance is venting properly.
    The only thing it shows is that room air is going out the draft hood at that point in time.

That still functions the same as a standard bell type draft hood the only problem is both designs are useless and a potential timebomb waiting to go off.

Especially in a laundry room with a dryer capable of exhausting up to 100 CFM to the outdoors.
    The draft hood and flue then becomes a nice make up air system.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

Cool Re: Flue pipe/Draft hood installation

As always, check the listed instructions from the appliance and venting. They must be listed together. Even so, Davidr's points should not be taken lightly. Also, cross check against these units: American Water Heater Co. Recall

I just love mfrs. who include a claims form on their Products section of the website but no install manuals!

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

This is a very delayed response, so may not be helpful.
    Have not seen any Wick Mobile Homes, all that I see are manufactured in Idaho or Washington (i.e. Fleetwood). Every one that I have inspected has the water heater installed in some sort of confined space (exterior closet, behind a wall panel in laundry room or bedroom closet), and therefore requires a water heater made specifically for mobile/manufactured home. These are essentially a direct vent design. No draft hood. Exhaust vent will run directly through roof. Also, it will have a direct vent on the underside of the WH that pulls combustion air from under the home. Label on WH must state it was manufactured for mobile homes. Otherwise, I write it up as an improper replacment and recommend a qualified plumber.

Also, the MH's that I see also have a HUD requried spec sheet somewhere in the home (inside the cupboard door of the kitchen sink counter, inside the master bedroom closet, on or near the main electrical panel (Unless its been painted over). The spec sheet will detail the serial nunber, manufacturer of the MH, type of consrtuction for wind zone, insulation, etc. And, most will list all factory installed appliances including the furnace and water heater, including serial numbers.