Default Ack-O-Matic Boiler Age

Ok, don't know a lot about boilers, we don't have many of them around anymore. Anyone got a clue on the age of this one? Where can I access an age chart or is there even one available?

Alton Darty
    ATN Services
    Osceola, AR

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Ack-O-Matic Boiler Age

Ack-O-Matic?! What a great name!
    It sounds like something from Bloom County.
    Any photos of the whole thing?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

For what it's worth, take a look at this:
    Any idea on how old............ - Heating and Air - BBS - BobVila.com

And in case you didn't click on "pretty old", this is the text that goes along with it:
    "Most ack-o-matic boilers were installed and made in the early 60's. They are no longer produced, and if they are in need of work. I suggest you call around, if they have never heard of the brand, then they shouldn't be allowed to touch it. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at nikki@blueskyplumbing.com "

Sorry no pics of the entire unit, very cramped space, and I didn't have my wide angle lens with me. I think that I may have access to another unit that should be about the same age. I may even have a chance to look at this one more closely. I asked my client if he would give me a call when he started some of the projects on the house. From what I gathered the heating system is priority #1. If I get to examine this beast outside it's normal habitat I will get some pics to share. In the meantime i may try to post some of the other pics from this property.
    Alton Darty
    ATN Services
    Osceola, AR

How old was the house? Early '60s by any chance?

Hard to say, maybe '60 at the latest, I would lean more toward something earlier. The area this one is in was built up in the '30s to early '50s. Can't get much info on it to be sure. From the records that the buyer has access to also lean toward something a little earlier, tax assesment from the early '40's shows the property as a residence, but the names don't agree with the available info, but then there could have been a fire or something along that line. The configuration of the small area that the boiler and water heater are in lead me to think that there was possibly a coal fired unit here earlier. It's my understanding that coal fired boilers were the norm here until about the late 50's early 60's. I do remember one being in use at my school when I was but a wee lad.
    Alton Darty
    ATN Services
    Osceola, AR

I would just report the boiler is at least 40 years old, etc. I don't see the need to report on an exact date of older equipment. There could be dates on the expansion tank, relief valve, gas valve, owner's manual, etc.

Regarding the plumber's assessment that if you've never heard of the brand, you shouldn't touch it. It looks like a common cast iron boiler. The parts should be compatible with what's available today and I doubt there's anything complicated about it.

FWIW, the age of the house should be obvious to within ten years or so, just by type of building materials, fixtures, styles of windows, doors, casing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    I would just report the boiler is at least 40 years old, etc. I don't see the need to report on an exact date of older equipment. There could be dates on the expansion tank, relief valve, gas valve, owner's manual, etc.

Regarding the plumber's assessment that if you've never heard of the brand, you shouldn't touch it. It looks like a common cast iron boiler. The parts should be compatible with what's available today and I doubt there's anything complicated about it.

FWIW, the age of the house should be obvious to within ten years or so, just by type of building materials, fixtures, styles of windows, doors, casing, etc.
    Report is done and e-mailed. Unit was reported as being 40+ years old and having exceeded its useful lifespan (that decision was after a call to a local heating contractor who informed me that the unit was at least 40 years old and that he would not attempt anything but a replacement if there were any issues with the unit).
    I am asking for my own benefit, when I run across something out of the ordinary I try to become informed just in case I see the same again.
    As far as dates on gas valves, expansion tanks, etc. the range was from 1953 to 1982, but the gas valve with the 1953 date did not appear original to the unit.
    As far as materials, fixtures, and styles I am still going with early to mid '50s as my best guess on age range. Although the glass in many of the windows is the older "wavy" glass. There are a lot of discrepancies that I see in materials and construction techniques as far as age is concerned. I originally thought that the home may have had several additions since it's original construction, however the attic and the crawl don't support that either.
    Alton Darty

This is an old thread, but just to complete the record, I'm uploading a couple of photos I took of an old Ack-O-Matic boiler that was in a 49 year old house I inspected earlier this week. I wonder how they came up with that name. This one had some issues, but was still keeping the house comfortable. I just reported it as at or beyond its expected life, and besides calling for the needed maintenance, recommended budgeting for a replacement.