Post Pool company president charged in boy's drowning - The Associated Press

InspectionNews has found this information related to pools and spas that might be of interest to you.

Pool company president charged in boy's drowning
    The Associated Press - 2 hours ago
    Prosecutor David Cohen said he believed there have been other criminal prosecutions involving pool safety issues but agreed the prosecution was unusual. ...

More...

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Pool company president charged in boy's drowning - The Associated Press

Holy crap!

About 4-5 years ago I inspected his brother's house in Palm Beach Gardens. He was an excellent referral source, did almost the entire subdivision of $1-3 million plus homes from his referrals.

They called about 6 months ago (tracked me down) wanting to make some more referrals, I told him I had retired, then handed him off to another inspector down there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Default Re: Pool company president charged in boy's drowning - The Associated Press

My In-Laws Pool in Florida (Hawk's Landing) is constructed in a similar manner.

Single floor drain in the Pool and Spa.

"They're going to have to show actual knowledge on his part of the failure to take measures..."

This would seen to be the key...

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Without all the facts who can conjure up an informed opinion? However, if that pool was installed without meeting the code requirements at the time of installation which resulted in a P.I. or even a fatality, checks will be written and they won't be small.

I would also worry about the potential for a negligent referral claim as there are suits out there that look for anybody with deep pockets. Again, a sad reminder that there’s a very good reason to include a pool inspection (charge for them) when there is one on the property your inspecting as part of your service and in particular code complying safety enclosures, diving boards (pool builders won’t install them anymore) including deck boxes and GFCI protection, etc, etc..

It is also quite common for the concrete guys to slope the decking towards the house and chlorine saturated water plays hell with metal stucco screeds if there is any? I’ve always thought of pools as being similar to boats; i.e., the 2nd happiest day in my life was the day I bought a boat and the 1st happiest day was the day I sold it.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant