Ron Bibler Guest

Default Time for a new truck.

Its been a good turck my 1999 Ford ranger. got 174K out of it with no problems. just last sunday went out to start the truck and the motor had a bad knok. Looks like its time for a new truck. Been out looking.
    My CPA says uncle sam will give me a 50% right off the first year on any new truck. They want prople to buy new things.

This is my short list.

New Ford ranger $ 19K Nice truck. ***
    New Dodge tundra $ 21K Nice truck. **
    New Toyta tacoma $ 25K Very nice truck. *****

I think that the Toyta Has the best truck after test drives.
    5 speed auto trans. v6 extend cab with rear doors, all power. One cool part about the Toyota was they have a 120v out let in the bed. you can plug in a drill or saw or what ever.

Any info will help.

Best

Ron

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Time for a new truck.

I have a six cylinder 3 litre xlt ranger 6 1/2 years old 99,000 miles heavy foot, 20 miles to the gallon. Last truck was a ranger as well, 186,000 miles. Can't beat em

Almost bought a Tacoma last time. It sounded hollow when driving and seamed a little wimpy body wise and did not have the same ride as the ranger. I put Kelly helper springs on the back for a firmer ride and 150.00 shocks all around. Handles fantastic.

Just my opinion. Own almost all fords. Turn the key and go, forever.

Toyata should be (by reutation) a fairly long lasting vehicle as well.

David Banks Guest

I had 3 Rangers all new, all went 180,000. Last couple though started to give me lots of repair cost. Bought new 2006 Toyota Tacoma. So far so good. It is my favorite truck so far. Very solid. I believe starting in 2006 Bed is wider than most small trucks. A special rack is required to fit in rails of bed liner.

Have you seen the 2009 Studebaker?

What happened to them?

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Have you seen the 2009 Studebaker?

What happened to them?

rick
    DeSoto ate their lunch!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I will have to be giving up my F-150 soon as well. Still runs great with 176,000 but I know it is not going to last forever. At 16/22 mpg, I'm also ready for that to change!

I really don't need a big truck anymore, but it will be hard to give up the comfort factor and move to a smaller vehicle.

I have been looking at the Ford Escape, and similar sized vehicles from Hyundai and KIA. All I need is something that will fit my LG17. I have not needed my extension ladders in a few years! A home inspector friend of mine in Denver is about ready to buy a Smart Car. His LG 17 fits on the passenger side. With the seat folded down it forms a deck like surface. For around $12,000 he can get one that is loaded! In other words it has a radio and A/C. Top speed is around 70mph with a tailwind!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

James Duffin Guest

I have a Nissan Frontier that does very well. Gets about 25 MPG. Paid about $15,500 in 05.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    ---similar sized vehicles from Hyundai and KIA. Smart Car.
    Saw one up close the other day ( first thought ) That would Smart getting smacked by a Suburban.

Looked about 1/2 the size of my little Kia Shortage.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ron Bibler Guest

Thumbs up Re: Time for a new truck.

Got the new Toyota tacoma truck... last week.

Very nice... what a work truck... just bit of a hard ride. had to put 4-80 lbs bags of concrete in the bed and drop the tires to 28lbs to smooth out the ride...

Other then that the truck is getting around 22-25 MPG. Has a locking rear end. It comes stock with a 110 out let in the bed of the truck so you can run a saw off the back of the truck.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Got the new Toyota tacoma truck... last week.
    Good on you, as they say in the South. Now try to get some sleep!

Richard Moore Guest

had to put 4-80 lbs bags of concrete in the bed and drop the tires to 28lbs to smooth out the ride...
    320 extra pounds and under-inflated tires! I don't want to get political here, but after someone took the other guy's suggestion to properly inflate tires completely out of context, just to create yet another stupid negative commercial, I have to ask if that would be his replacement energy plan?

Jim Zborowski Guest

Good point Rich, the problem with adding weight and under inflating the tires is ( are ):
    reduced contact patch on pavement = reduced control, Under inflation causes tires to wear more rapidly on outer edges, under inflation causes increased stress on sidewalls reducing tire life and safety, reduced pressure reduces load capacity.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Zborowski View Post
    Good point Rich, the problem with adding weight and under inflating the tires is ( are ):
    reduced contact patch on pavement = reduced control, Under inflation causes tires to wear more rapidly on outer edges, under inflation causes increased stress on sidewalls reducing tire life and safety, reduced pressure reduces load capacity.

Q At what point are tires underinflated ? If you look at the tires load rating. MAX tires P at 45 LBS. THESE TIRES ON THIS TRUCK ARE 31INCH.
    That a big ass tire. for a little truck. then take in the what the truck GW is you will find that you can let air out of the tires and still not be underinflated.

So the contact patch not reduced. The control of the truck is not reduced. and the only other load is my big fat Be-hind.

As for gas 22-25 MPG. I could let more air out.

Best

Ron

Good choice Ron as I think anything made by Toyota is superior. However, the question that begs asking is how many cup holders?

Jerry McCarthy

The proper tire inflation will be listed on the data plate on the door of the truck. Go with that and not with what it listed on the tire.

Also, for a smoother ride try changing out the tires. I use to keep 6 ply tires on my truck, and it rode like a TRUCK! Now I use 4 ply for a smoother ride. Yes, I have had a few more nail holes that needed patching but I won't go back to the 6 ply.

Just curious, have you priced those 31" critters!

That is a good choice for a truck.. If you can get that type of MPG, you are doing better than most. My neighbor has the same 2008 truck and he is getting right at 20 mpg on the highway. City it is down around 15 mpg.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Everyone probably knows this, but just in case... The tire pressure should not be set at what is printed on the tire, use the pressure listed on the tire information label in the glove box or the door post. The pressure on the tire is the maximum in order to get the weight rating capacity for the tire.
    The truck maker takes into account the weight of the truck, etc. and specifies a recommended pressure for a fully loaded truck.
    Also, the lower the pressure, the larger the tire contact patch (in general terms) but the greater the risk of over heating. Don't you guys watch Nascar??

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 08-16-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Scott beat me to it!
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    The pressure on the tire is the maximum in order to get the weight rating capacity for the tire.
    The truck maker takes into account the weight of the truck, etc. and specifies a recommended pressure for a fully loaded truck.
    Proper tire inflation is more than just that.

The truck manufacturer posts the recommended tire inflation pressure, many times that recommend tire inflation pressure is based on *ride quality*, not a fully loaded truck.

To really know what to inflate tires to, weigh your truck at all four corners, take the highest weight at the front and the highest weight at the rear, look up the tire inflation pressure in the guide (typically available in the internet for the brand tire and the load rating of the tire), using the highest of the two front weights, inflate the tires to that weight, repeat for the rear.

As stated by others above, the tire inflation pressure on the tire is the maximum pressure recommended for that tire, and at that maximum inflation pressure is where that tire will read maximum load capacity, which is also stated on the tire.

Or just use the truck manufacturer's recommended tire inflation pressure - if you have the original size/type tire on the truck.

A example is our motor home has H rated tires, with a minimum (yes, minimum) tire pressure of 85 psi, the weight rating of the tires at 85 psi exceeds the weight of the motor home, meaning that I can inflate the tires to 85 psi and not worry about being overloaded. The tires go to 120 psi maximum pressure, but I'll never need to go there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jack Ahern Guest

My chevy van is wheezing! 180k---born in 1995 - treated me well. Am not hanging ceilings any more so a 12' bed is not required. Looking at Pilots and Highlanders. Moving in three weeks, so I need to decide. My vehicles last 12/15 years. May be my last vehicle. 66+15= 81 My kid may pull my keys?? then.
    Business is still slow in the Boston area.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ahern View Post
    My chevy van is wheezing! 180k---born in 1995 - treated me well. Am not hanging ceilings any more so a 12' bed is not required. Looking at Pilots and Highlanders. Moving in three weeks, so I need to decide. My vehicles last 12/15 years. May be my last vehicle. 66+15= 81 My kid may pull my keys?? then.
    Business is still slow in the Boston area.

Jack Go test drive a Toyota. I did the test drive thing. and the TOY Wat the best hands down.

Best

Ron

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Jack Go test drive a Toyota. I did the test drive thing. and the TOY Wat the best hands down.

Best

Ron
    Good choice Ron. I have almost the exact truck. Very happy. Do you have the no slip bed liner? One of those little things I have enjoyed.

I had a Turdyota once. Loved the gas mileage, but always having a replace someting on it.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    Good choice Ron. I have almost the exact truck. Very happy. Do you have the no slip bed liner? One of those little things I have enjoyed.
    That is a nice little thing they did with bed liner.

I got the sport pack that has the hood scoop. from inside the truck it add a nice look to the hood. Im very happy with the truck in every way. The full cab truck is nice for the little extra things just bit more room. i did not think that i would use the extra back seet and side doors but i so glad that i got the full cab truck.

The truck came with BF GOODRICH Tires. I have never ran them before. I have always ran Michelin tires.

As these are new and came with the truck i will run them and think about going back to Michelin tires in about 2 year or so. i hope they last that long. I can cover about 20K mil. A year inspecting.

Best

Ron

imported_John Smith Guest

All I have ever owned was Japanese vehicles. Unfortunately they are Japanese in nameplate only these days. As far as Toyotas, the ones I owned were bullet proof. I had exceptional luck with Mazdas too (pre anything to do with Ford).

Im waiting for the Toyota Abat. It should arrive about the time I am ready to replace my current ride.

Patrick McCaffery Guest

It so nice hearing about all the foreign trucks, you ever wonder why the economy is the way it is?

From an ex American Factory worker

Brian Thomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCaffery View Post
    It so nice hearing about all the foreign trucks, you ever wonder why the economy is the way it is?

From an ex American Factory worker
    Alot of these so called "foreign" cars and trucks are made right here in the good ol usa. honda and toyota have plants all over the midwest.

The economy is the way it is because so many large companies are taking their MFG processes outside the united states to asia to save on costs. How many products are in your house right now that say "made in china" on them? Im guessing alot.

And dont even get me started on calling customer service and having a guy with an indian accent help me with my computer yet is name is "bob smith"

Ron Bibler Guest

NOW WE STEPS IN IT!

Brian is on the money with that. Think of HARLEY DAVIDSON. When i get parts for my HD Stamped on the back maid in china. Even my wife is from CANADA.

Just about everything is from some please else. If you want to get down to it look in your GAS TANK. Where did you get that stuff?

What is it we are sending or to IRAN AND THE USSR. $ 700 BILLION US.

DRILL HEAR DRILL EVERY WHERE AND NOW!!!

So if you Vote for the one guy. you want to keep sending that $ to IRAN AND THE USSR.

If you Vote for other guy you want to keep that $ Hear in the USA. and put our people to work.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 08-18-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Patrick McCaffery Guest

I knew I should never have started this. Its all well and good that the Toyotas and Hondas are produced in the US, however the 8,000 or so that they employee does not come near to the hundreds of thousands that were formally employed in the Ford, GM and Chrysler plants. In addition, the vehicles are just assembled here, which means that the parts are produced over seas. If you lived in the rust belt, you might understand that the lack of factories paying taxes, providing high paying jobs and benifits is resulting in the State, Citys and Towns going broke. Now these Goverments are going to start laying off more people, less tax base. Maybe that's part of the reason the housing industry is in decline.
    I do agree that the Unions drove the jobs away by the estravegant salaries and benifits.
    You have to have lived through it to understand it and it is a free country and everybody has an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCaffery View Post
    I do agree that the Unions drove the jobs away by the extravagant salaries and benefits.
    I have this seen first hand in Memphis.

International Harvester foundry for Farm equipment.
    Strike for 6 months & Win then refuse to go back to work because it was their regular 3 month Shut Summer Shutdown ( with pay ) then wonder why the company can not afford to keep the plant open.

Firestone another manufacturing facility unable to keep the doors open.

If you pay the janitor 60k plus benefits please don't wonder why the guys making 12 to 14 bucks an hour can't afford the products.

GE appliances, Steel mills another example of Unions killing the Golden Goose.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ron Bibler Guest

I think we need to start an inspectors UNION.

That will fix this issue. put it on a stick and put some fire to it!!!

Ron

Jim Zborowski Guest

Had a nissan truck once, dam good truck. it was made in Smyrna, Tn, the steel for it came from Hennepin, Illinois. not defending the jap trucks in any way though, I would still rather have my dodge ram. I will admit it gets abused, but it has 134000 on it and still no major problems. The only thing I would do different is get a hemi. Mine has a 360 and sucks gas at about 14 mpg.
    We have a Dodge ram Daytona with a hemi, and it does much better on gas ( under a cruise / low load condition, it shuts down 4 cylinders ). I would get another hemi.

Ken Larson Guest

I've "retired" my GMC pickup. Too expensive on gas with only about 17 mpg.

I've started using my little SMART fortwo. The 3 cylinder Mercedes diesel engine gets up to a whopping 70mpg. And my tools all fit!

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...1&d=1219274354
    inspection

vehichttp://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachment.php?attachmentid=7986&stc=1&d=121927435 4
    IMG_4974.JPGle.jpg

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ken,

Dang, you don't need a sewer camera with that little thing, just find a clean out and drive that sucker right on in.

Is that 70 mpg with your tools, or just the advertised mpg?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

and I thought I had a smallish truck?

Jerry McCarthy

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ken,

Dang, you don't need a sewer camera with that little thing, just find a clean out and drive that sucker right on in.

Is that 70 mpg with your tools, or just the advertised mpg?
    What is the price tag on that vehicle and can it fit 6 foot, 190 pounds and do you feel safe in that thing.

I get 20 mpg. Yours is 3 1/2 times more than that. I am figuring about maybe 30 a week for work.

Ron Bibler Guest

Parking that should not be a problem.

Ron

Ken Larson Guest

If I baby it on the freeway the best mileage so far has been 72.5mpg. If I race it around town like a little sports car I have to suffer with mileage in the low 60's.

The 2008 Mercedes Smarts start at just under $13,000 with the fully loaded convertibles like mine going for about $18,000. I've heard the waiting list runs almost a year now. Mine is actually a 2005 model that was brought over from Germany and runs a 3 cylinder Mercedes diesel engine. The 08 US model Smarts have a revamped 3 cylinder Mitsubishi engine that tops out at about 45 mpg.

European models get significantly more mpg that the US models. They get "dumbed" down here with a bunch of emission crap for us lucky Americans. I had my Euro model emission tested and it has less emissions than my wifes Toyota hybrid when I'm running on bio-diesel. (converted used vegetable oil). So, my thoughts are that our politicians and big oil doesn't want Americans to get use to vehicles with high mpg. Over 70% of the vehicles in Germany get over 50mpg.

Anyway, I'm 6' and about 215 pounds with plenty of room to spare. Here's a link to Shaq in his new Smart..... Smart Car of America - The Shaq-Daddy...Gets Smart!

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Wow.. and I though I was seriously downsizing with my 32' ladder overhanging the Forester by 4' ... my ladders would probably tip that car up on end!

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Michael,

The HOA I live in has a rule about certain vehicles in driveways. You cannot park any vehicle including trucks that are of commercial use and have any lettering or magnetic signs present after 8PM with the exception of weekends till Midnight.

Heck, we can't even park on the street in front of our home after 8pm.

It is in the by-laws when everyone bought their home, and it has been fought against a few times with no luck.

We have all learned to keep a clean garage thats for sure.

HOA's are tough, but I wouldn't live anywhere that doesn't have one. Thats just me.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Michael. That ladder must have a lot of wind drag?

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 08-22-2008 at 12:10 AM.