Thread: Sag in roof

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Sag in roof

This house was built in 1960. Very noticeable sag was visible across the roof, although when I got in the attic framing looked pretty good. Any thoughts. Also, I tycically don't see metal shingle roof, are they 50 year life expectancy?

Mat

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Sag in roof

It's odd thatyou saw no sagging on the roof rafters inside the attic. Visible deflection and sagging on the exterior generally means a similar interior condition on the rafters. The pitch of that roof is rather low and long. Do you have any interior pics of the attic?

Those exterior door steps look bogus in your photos Mathew, did you measure the top risers?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry,
    Exterior concrete needs to replaced. The house was moved and the ground was not preped correctly so the patios and decks basically sunk, in addition to the garage. Here are some more pics.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

mathew stouffer Guest

This is what is left of the garage slab.

Jim Zborowski Guest

Looks like a contractors dream.........................just open your checkbook and keep writing. garage wall looks lower than the rest of the hose, pooor flatwork,siding in poor condition, etc.

What part of the country is this house in?
    I suspect that house is a "scrape?"

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry,
    Peoa Utah, which is outside Park City about ten miles. Basically the North central part of the state. What is a scrape?

Matthew,

A "scrape", as in the front blade of a bulldozer. Read "Scraaaape!"

Metal shingle life expectancy depends on the manufacturer. If Decra and if not damaged by walking or other mechanical means; yes, I believe they are supposed to be a 50 year roof. However, I have never liked their roof/wall flashings which will almost certainly will not last 50 years.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

The attic framing doesn't look too bad. I think that I'd be more concerned about everything that's UNDER the roof though - yikes! I assume they use levels out there(?).

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Brian Thomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Matthew,

A "scrape", as in the front blade of a bulldozer. Read "Scraaaape!"

Metal shingle life expectancy depends on the manufacturer. If Decra and if not damaged by walking or other mechanical means; yes, I believe they are supposed to be a 50 year roof. However, I have never liked their roof/wall flashings which will almost certainly will not last 50 years.
    I had never heard the term scrape before so I wasnt sure what it meant. However, when I first saw the pics of this house I immediately thought this house was better served torn down and deposited at the transfer station.

christopher bittner Guest

The basic problem with the roof frame (independent of foundation/slab considerations are 1) The posts under the ridge should be removed as they are supporting limited area's and they are transfering the load to the floor below which roofs are not designed to do. 2) The collar ties are not cut correctly (square cut). They should be cut at the angle which is parallel to the pitch of the roof. I would also run strapping across the underside of the collar ties as one does on the underside of a deck. I don't see this as over-reporting if I stick to the dificiencies. Chris Bittner