Default In-filling skip sheathing

I've never seen this before and I'm a bit skeptical. Have you guys ever seen this? In particular I don't really like the gaps left behind. Strangely enough, I looked really hard and couldn't find and fasteners in the gaps.

I realize while looking through my pictures that I didn't snap one of this exact problem. The ones below are of a broken rafter and a piece or romex tacked tightly across the attic access hatch.... hopefully, you'll see what I'm talking about.

fyi... the current roof is a single layer comp.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: In-filling skip sheathing

I wonder if my buyer's walked. Just Kidding. I did one like that 2 weeks ago, but there were up to half inch gaps between the boards. It would have been so much better/ easier to just skin over the skip sheathing with a panel sheathing. I just told my buyer's that it was wrong, because some of the nails were hitting in the joints (not hitting sheathing). In your case, I would say that it is unconventional, and that you can not predict how well this system will function in the future. You could always fall back on the manufacturers sheathing requirements as well.

Matt,

I have only seen that a couple of times. Probably because it takes too long and plywood or waferboard is quicker. I don't have a real problem with that except that it does not provide the shear value that plywood or OSB does.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Steve Lowery Guest

I did a job like that several years ago. It was pretty simple. The house was a '60's custom w/ shakes. The contractor had put 1x6's & used a 1x4 for spacing them. With shrinkage over the years, new 1x4's fit nicely with only an occaisonal rip needed. Renailed & replaced (where needed) existing. It was way cheaper & less time as well. Unconsequential gaps.Than God for nail guns.

Thanks guys.... I had about the same feeling. It was odd but seemed to be working okay. I basically said it appears to be doing what it's suppose to be at this time. A roofer or shingle manufactuer might be able to tell you more if you're interested.