karen putnam Guest

Question Heard of Cocamar, Inc?

We received a phone call from company in Arizona- COCAMAR, INC. Wanted to know if we would be interested in taking "construction progress" pictures for their company. Have never heard of these people-is anyonen familiar with them or is it some kind of scam? Thanks so much!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Heard of Cocamar, Inc?

Quote Originally Posted by karen putnam View Post
    We received a phone call from company in Arizona- COCAMAR, INC. Wanted to know if we would be interested in taking "construction progress" pictures for their company. Have never heard of these people-is anyonen familiar with them or is it some kind of scam? Thanks so much!
    I got the same call today and it was from ISD or ISDN inspection services (in Arizona). They were asking the same thing. I do not know them but they are suppose to send info in an email to the company.

It would be they got a contract for a lending institute for nation wide draw inspections and are trying to obviously profit from other inspectors work. It is one of those, lets bid on it and if we get it I am sure we can find subs.

David Banks Guest

karen putnam Guest

We got the email link to sign up...just hate to give out SS# etc to a company we are not sure of. The gentleman who called was East India sounding and I had a very hard time understanding EXACTLY what he was saying. Thought maybe someone on these boards has had a GOOD or BAD experience they might want to share before we leap! thanks

Giving out your social security number to someone you can't understand.

Now thats a smart move. Are you that desperate for work that your willing to be possibly financially ruined or have youR identity stolen?

rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 07-23-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Interesting, I got one from them about a week ago. Couldn't understand the guy either. Sounded East Indian as well. Hung up.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.
    Have to agree with Gunnar on this. There is absolutly NO reason they need my personal information in order to hire me to do a job. Any professional information needed is available without that.

Scam alert, Scam alert!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Bud Butczynski Guest

I became one of their "vendors" in April of this year. No one asked for an SS number, though. The pitch I fell for was $40. an inspection, but there would be several homes in a development justifying the trip. If I remember correctly, you fill out a report on their website and upload progress photos. Sounded easy enough, but I'm yet to receive a call for inspections.

karen putnam Guest

Talking Re: Heard of Cocamar, Inc?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Giving out your social security number to someone you can't understand.

Now thats a smart move. Are you that desperate for work that your willing to be possibly financially ruined or have youR identity stolen?

rick
    That is EXACTLY why we are not going to! No tax ID no SS--nothing on any application. This is why I am asking-before we take the time to fill out any application to see what they are about! No-not desperate-in fact too busy but always interested in new HONEST opportunities.

karen putnam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Butczynski View Post
    I became one of their "vendors" in April of this year. No one asked for an SS number, though. The pitch I fell for was $40. an inspection, but there would be several homes in a development justifying the trip. If I remember correctly, you fill out a report on their website and upload progress photos. Sounded easy enough, but I'm yet to receive a call for inspections.

Yes that is what you do--16 pictures I believe and upload progress photos. We do alot of these types for banks on loans so I do not know if they are a contractor with banks or what??? I will be interested to know how it goes if you get a job from them. THANKS!

Bud Butczynski Guest

Checked my files and I'm wrong, and I did give them my tax ID. How can that hurt you?

(Cocamar)

POLICIES & PROCEDURES
    SECTION A: INSPECTORS

All questions, comments or concerns regarding inspections should be directed to the Dispatch Department (877-275-9691). Recruiting Department (877-273-9933)

Fees:Payment is contingent on MortgageHub receiving report, photos,and acceptance of our Policies and Procedures. Payment will not be released unless all these items are uploaded. In addition we must have your SSN or Tax ID on file for payments. To accept our Policies and Procedures, please sign, date and return these instructions.

If you do not take the minimum number of photos (16 photos), MortgageHub will not pay you to go back for the required photos. (Photo requirement does not apply to Appraisal products.) Regardless of access, photos are required for payment. (i.e.: gate locked - take a picture of lock and chain, if access cannot be gained, then please take photos as best you can, for instance, from a distance and at different angles.)

Our established fees are as follows:
    $20.00 per inspection of a stand alone property.
    $10.00 per property in subdivisions with 3 or more properties being inspected at same time (one bonus, if applicable, per subdivision) (We reserve the right to change the subdivision fee if there is an excessive number of houses to be inspected in one subdivision)
    $10.00 bonus for a 24 hour turnaround defined as from the time you receive a request to inspect to the time we receive the report and photos - unless MortgageHub requests a specific date to inspect, at which time 24 hours starts on requested date.
    $5.00 electronic bonus if we receive your report and the minimum color photos of the job posted to our website. There are no deviations from this policy!
    MortgageHub reserves the right to issue or not issue bonuses according to the guidelines.

If there is any variance from the established fee, you must obtain a purchase order number (PO#) from your dispatcher. This PO # must first be authorized by a MortgageHub manager. PO's are only good once, and cannot be used again. If you are required to travel an extra distance to perform the inspection, please confirm inspection fee with your dispatcher by getting PO # prior to doing inspection. Without this PO #, regular payment will be sent out. Getting a purchase order number overrides both the 24 hour bonus and the electronic bonus; however we still expect that the inspection will be turned into us immediately. Your purchase order can be rescinded if your report or photos are late.

Inspections:As an inspector, you are expected to walk through the project assigned taking note of progress and noting percentages on the report form provided. While on the site, please do not discuss percentages of job completion with the borrower, builder, lender or any other person who may be on site. Any questions from these people should be directed to our office. The inspection report must be posted to the website 24 hours from being dispatched in order to receive the $10 bonus.

We have business cards for all of our independent contractors. You can let the administration staff know and we would be happy to get some out to you. These cards are great to give to any borrower or builder that you may meet with on the site, or even to leave behind to let someone know that you have been there. Please call 888-993-2110 to request business cards.

Inspection report: We rely on the information that you have given us to complete our process. It is necessary that you select the correct job on your Outstanding Jobs list on your home page on our website and post the results accurately as soon as possible after completing your inspection. Add any comments about the project in the appropriate section.

Photos: In order to meet our clients' requirements:

We must have a minimum of 16 photos per inspection - interior and exterior combined. The photos should be relative to the progress of the project. The photos need to help tell the story of what is going on at the site. Take photos of anything you give progress to or any materials on site. Although 16 photos are required per inspection, feel free to send more photos if necessary.

Note: We must have the report and the minimum number of photos for each inspection in order to release payment. An invoice for your fee will be automatically generated once this is done. Payments are issued on the 15th and the 30th of each month IF the report and photos are received as required by the 5th and 20thof each month, respectively. An invoice for your fee must be submitted.

Uploading your report and photos online: For assistance with this process, please click on the HELP button on your homepage at www.cocamarcentral.com. If you need additional technical assistance, please contact our Help Desk at 888-993-2110 and press option 4 at the main greeting, then option 2.

If you have any questions regarding anything explained here, please don't hesitate to ask your dispatch manager. We look forward to working with you!

Last edited by Bud Butczynski; 07-23-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Tidying Things Up.

karen putnam Guest

Don't think that will hurt. However as Sole Proprietor we use SS number so don't really want to release that! Again- let us know what you think if you get a job. ( I just want to be able to understand who I am talking to!)

I did work for them several years ago. They seemed to pay quickly (boy, that can change). I got them to raise the fee several times because the house was too far away, but then I just quit doing them because they WERE getting too far away, and it wasn't for much money.

If I remember right, they gave me a pretty good lead time so I could try to fit it in when I was close to the house. That was OK, but not when they wanted it right away. It wasn't worth the drive. I can't imagine doing it now with the cost of gas.

I've done of bunch for them in years past. Made well over the amount needed to require a W-9.

They paid quick, work was easy percentage completion type stuff and photos.

NOT A SCAM. BUT, make sure you get a phone number off their website or look em up on yellow book before you send info.

Scammers can call pretending to be them (or other draw inspection companies) and get your info. Guard it carefully.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

karen putnam Guest

Thanks guys for the information. Appreciate it! Looked under consumer reports, BBB etc and found nothing on them. I knew I could find a wealth of info here! Thanks!

Bob Spermo Guest

They are legit (for new constrcution bank draws) but cheap! They wanted me to drive 45 miles (one way), look at the completion stage of a residential compound with 5 separate buildings, take 16-20 pictures, fill out a 3 page report and e-mail it all back to them within a day! And all for the grand sum of $35! I politely told them NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    They are legit (for new constrcution bank draws) but cheap! They wanted me to drive 45 miles (one way), look at the completion stage of a residential compound with 5 separate buildings, take 16-20 pictures, fill out a 3 page report and e-mail it all back to them within a day! And all for the grand sum of $35! I politely told them NO!
    $35?! You have to be kidding. You win some kind of award for being polite!

karen putnam Guest

Yes I believe it was $35 but only 2 miles for us. Told them with the price of gas unless it was in our normal "range" of inspections it would not be feasable with gas prices the way they are. We shall see what we hear from them. Thought it might be an interesting side track if things get slow! Good to know they are legit. Thanks!

I dealt with Cocamar on a few draw inspections about a year ago. They were a pain in the butt to deal with and did not seem to have a standardized report system. They were very unprofessional and would want a different type of report based on the lender. After two or three inspections I said no thanks. I do a few draw inspections each month for DDN they are great to deal with and have a very simple online report system.

Perhaps instead of saying "NO", you shoul have told them what your price was.

I've done so with several that want it cheap.

I just tell em what it'll cost em to get me to do it.

Some go for my price. Some don't.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Wilson Hash Guest

I have done several construction draw inspections for them, but not at their price. I told them $50.00 and they gave them to me to do. Then the former owner sold out to an Indian Company, and had a hard time collecting my money. I told them I was fixing to lien the projects. They paid pretty quick.
    I do not not work for them any more because of slow pay and the language
    barrier. Just watch them