imported_John Smith Guest

Default Length of inspection - Gotta love it

2700 square foot house. Im about 2/3 of the way through the inspection when the homeowners and kids come back home. I introduce myself and tell them what I have left to do. The homeowner says "my realtor told me the inspection would only take two hours". They were good people and asked if they needed to leave, but I countered with I would do whatever I needed to do to try and work around them. It all turned out okay in the end, but I have to wonder what inspector their agent usually dealt with that take 2 hours to inspect a 2700 square foot house.

I finished in 4, which seems to be about my usual time (between 3 and 4, but usually around 4). Not to drag up an old thread, but 2 hours seemed comical.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Length of inspection - Gotta love it

Been there. Done that.

Like you, an average inspection for me is around 4 hours. If the agent tells the homeowner the inspection will take 2 hours it is not my fault but I have to deal with the situation. Most people are OK with the inspection taking longer than they were told but it does cause a problem for some. I wish agents would quit speaking for me. (I know. People in Hell want ice water.)

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Be glad you were 2/3 of the way done before they got home.

I had the pleasure this morning of having the homeowner there for the whole time. She followed me around shutting off light switches and turning off the water at everything I was looking at. Utilities are expensive I heard at least a hundred times from her.

How she got the day off from being the crypt keeper was beyond me.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

I had the pleasure this morning of having the homeowner there for the whole time. She followed me around shutting off light switches and turning off the water at everything I was looking at. Utilities are expensive I heard at least a hundred times from her.

rick
    You gotta hate that Rick. You turn the air on and wait a few before checking vents. They turn it off behind you. You let the water run and as soon as you leave the bath they shut it off behind you.

I always turn the disposal on and let it run a little while with the water running. The home owner will chase me down and ask why I am doing it and shut it off before they look for me.

Or, why do you have the oven on. "well, to get it up to temperature to see if it works properly" Oh, I already shut it off.

imported_John Smith Guest

I have had homeowners get real excited when I tell them I need to check the heating system in the summer. Im already sweating like a ____ in chuch from being in the attic, so it really doesnt bother me. Its only like 10 minutes of heater operation anyway.

I had an old time realtor who gave me all his inspections. I was away on a week’s vacation and when I came back he called me with the following story. He knew I was away and arranged for a home inspector recommended by another agent in his office as being very thorough. He met the guy who apparently had an assistant and left them at the vacant property while he went to Starbucks. Came back about an hour later and they where still inspecting. Left again and went to his office, made some phone calls and then returned to make sure the property was locked up and found the inspectors where still inspecting. 4 hours later they completed the inspection. The property was a vacant one bedroom condo.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

rick

I always love the seller/thermostat nazi.... Why do you have the heat on 80? As if the squirrels in the furance are running faster when the thermostat is on 80 than if it were on 75. Or, you start the dishwasher and come by and somebody has turned it off... only to have the agent say "for some reason the dishwasher was on????"

I'm tempted to show them my new way of testing the GFIs in the kitchen. It involves a coat hanger and a bucket of water

Cool Re: Length of inspection - Gotta love it

Yep Matt, your right! Once I was testing kitchen counter top receptacles for GFCI protection and the lovely agent walked in and demanded to know why I was doing that. "I happen to know all those plugs work and all you picky inspectors do is look for problems to justify your outrageous fees!" she said. I just smiled at her and kept checking.

Jerry McCarthy

I'm still trying to figure out how realtors justify their outrageous fees. Ask one and they'll tell you because they spend a lot of time and gas on the client showing them homes. Then they'll figure in the people they work with that fall out due to financing or else.

3-6% on a 200K home comes out to the low end of 6K to the high of 12K. Then you have to figure out the commission to the actual office broker of maybe 1% of their commission.

Good Lord, where are they buying that gas at? Neiman Marcus

rick

Rick
    Obviously you're overlooking these folks are highly trained professionals highly motivated to serve humanity and bring joy and fine living quarters to the masses. Remember, they are second only in honesty and devotion to their vic…. ahem… clients then the people who have "esquire" after their name.

Dam, can't find my meds this morning

Jerry McCarthy

Jerry,

How forgetful of me.

I quess I also didn't figure in the cost of the trendy clothing they always have on also.

Also those Glamour Shots pictures to place on their business cards are probably costly. Have you ever seen a realtors card and think to yourself, Hey she's not a bad looking lady.

Then when she shows up at the end of the inspection you realize that picture on her card must have been made 30yrs. earlier. Now she scares small children and wears a big hat.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Michael Larson Guest

Rick,

Is that your new business card pic?

I'm not that sharp of a dresser Michael, but some day I'll acheive those dreams.

rick