Ted Menelly Guest

Default Sony Cybershot DSC-T300

My 4 plus year old Sony cybershot was dying a slow death. I bought the camera listed above.

Does anyone own one and how do you like it.

Yeah, yeah, I just want to feel good for the expense. Camera, case, 2 year breakage replacement, tax, over 400 plus.

Camera alone for 359.00

Someone tell me they have good luck with theirs.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Sony Cybershot DSC-T300

Ted,

Dude, your supposed to do the actual research before you make the purchase.

Whatsa it matter now, you've already bought it.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Thanks Mr Rick

I did do the research. Just wondering if other folks have bought and used and what their opinion was.

I don't think my last Sony had a good chance of working tomorrow so I could not hold off. I like to squeeze every purchase to the end.

Currently using a Sony DSC-T10 & love it.

That said the DSC-300 is on the Wish List.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I've never owned a Sony. Hear they are great.

Always been an Olympus owner myself.

Had 3 in the last 2 years. They don't like the sliding off the roof thing.

rick

I'm a Nikon guy for whatever that's worth? Nevermind

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I've never owned a Sony. Hear they are great.

Always been an Olympus owner myself.

Had 3 in the last 2 years. They don't like the sliding off the roof thing.

rick

Rick

That is my worst fear. My last Sony was (is not quite dead yet) indestructible. I have dropped it so many times since I had it and it keeps on ticking. On concrete, second story roof, did I say on concrete (too many times to count). This one looks a little on the wimpy, don't drop me side but all the new ones do.

I like it because right on the screen after taking the picture I can add arrows on it with out any other software or just write on the picture to add what I want, hit save, done. I was going to buy the next step down but for the sixty bucks extra I had to do it. I made the girl check online pricing and went down from 399 to 359

I've had a couple of Sonys and like them.
    What's wrong with your old one?
    I thought my old one was dying because the lens would come out, hesitate, start to go back in, do all kinds of weird things.
    I did a google search on it and it turned out to be a common problem that people were solving by whacking the camera on a table or something. I tried it, and it worked!

Ted Menelly Guest

Horrible in cold whether (eats batteries and shutter/lens hang up) and the weather down hear is not bad. Shutter hanging up all the time and have to use my finger (or tap it)to open it and the lens going in and out as well as starting to eat batteries all the time and the picture viewer all scratch up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I thought my old one was dying because the lens would come out, hesitate, start to go back in,
    John,

No external Zoom (5X built in Carl Zeiss lens ) push down front cover, about the size of a pack of smokes only thinner. With a 3 1/2 in. screen.

Same setup on my DSC-T10 (smaller screen) but with 16mb. built in memory & much more.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Horrible in cold whether (eats batteries and shutter/lens hang up) and the weather down hear is not bad. Shutter hanging up all the time and have to use my finger (or tap it)to open it and the lens going in and out as well as starting to eat batteries all the time and the picture viewer all scratch up.
    You need a new camera! I keep my old one around as a back-up and use the new one with the lithium battery that lasts almost forever. I used to be a stickler for cameras that used regular batteries, so you could always grab a couple AAs from a convenience store if you need to, but now I'm sold on the the lithiums.
    I have a power screwdriver with a rechargeable lithium and it is so much better than my old nickel-cadmium, or whatever it was, it's not funny. The lithium one is much more powerful, and the charge just won't quit. It cost more, but has been worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    John,

No external Zoom (5X built in Carl Zeiss lens ) push down front cover, about the size of a pack of smokes only thinner. With a 3 1/2 in. screen.

Same setup on my DSC-T10 (smaller screen) but with 16mb. built in memory & much more.
    I like the 5X zoom, etc., but, as a life-long amateur photographer, I'm not happy about all the cameras with no conventional viewfinder. More and more of them only have the screen. Call me old fashioned, but that just ain't right.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    My 4 plus year old Sony cybershot was dying a slow death. I bought the camera listed above.

Does anyone own one and how do you like it.

Yeah, yeah, I just want to feel good for the expense. Camera, case, 2 year breakage replacement, tax, over 400 plus.

Camera alone for 359.00

Someone tell me they have good luck with theirs.

I had the T1 and now the T200 for about a year I guess. Great camera hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I'm not happy about all the cameras with no conventional viewfinder. More and more of them only have the screen. Call me old fashioned, but that just ain't right.
    That's a key issue with me too.

The sun and reflections easily wash out the screen, then you are standing there guessing and hoping what you are taking a photo of.

The view finder on my current Olympus is digital, I can select Quick View (the screen) or the view finder. The other advantage of the digital view finder is that when you review a photo on the screen in bright sun and the screen is partially or mostly washed out, click the Quick View and the image goes to the digital view finder.

I used an Olympus (newer camera) without a view finder for about 2-1/2 years, I hated not having the view finder as I have on my camera. Sure, it was 'less bulky', but 10X optical zoom and the digital view finder offsets it.

Yeah, yeah, the new ones are 10 mega pixel and my older one is only about 2 mega pixel, but unless you need that resolution for studio quality photos, its a waste (in my opinion). Kinda like having a 100 gazillion zillion byte hard drive, who needs it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com