Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Foundation comment on HI report

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-20-2007 at 09:34 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Foundation comment on HI report

IMO, in many circumstances "a qualified contractor utilizing the services of an engineer to design and supervise repairs as required" is (more) appropriate. (Is it true that "only a qualified structural engineer can determine the extent and causes of noted movement symptoms"?).

I would change "movement symptoms" to "movement evidence" or something like that. A symptom is a subjective feeling, as in "my head hurts". A sign (in medicine, anyway) is objective evidence, as in "the patient has a hatchet buried in his skull". So, the foundation, not being alive, conscious, etc., cannot have any symptoms.
    My mother was an English teacher and my father was a professor of American literature, so I can't help it.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

CYA with words:

======
    I recommend that a qualified foundation contractor, who utilizes the services of a licensed engineer to design repairs, be consulted to determine needed repairs & best repair methods, estimate costs, and to perform any repairs deemed necessary.
    =========

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Mike Huppi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    CYA with words:

======
    I recommend that a qualified foundation contractor, who utilizes the services of a licensed engineer to design repairs, be consulted to determine needed repairs & best repair methods, estimate costs, and to perform any repairs deemed necessary.
    =========
    I like that one. Do you mind if I use it?

Richard Stanley Guest

The foundation has indications of failure ie; blah, blah, etc. Appropriate reparations should be prescribed by a structural engineer.

K Robertson Guest

John,

I like you am sometimes "concerned" with terminology. I just put what I see. If it's in the beginning stages of failure, my "opinion" would read something like, "foundation appears to be in beginning stages of failure and future repairs are imminent based on observations of..." I don't know if it's the best wording or not, but so far it seems to have worked. Would be open to other suggestions as well.

Richard Stanley Guest

What is " the beginning stages of failure"? It either has or it has not. If you can cee cracks (PT slab), It has failed. (Rebar - not neccessarily a big deal). If it feels out of level when you are walking thru - it probably is outside the allowable or acceptable tolerances - 1" - 15'. Most, probably all, residential buildings on/in clay soil will move. Masonry, moldings, gypsum may/will have stress cracks from the movement - That is not neccessarily a foundation failure. If you suspect excessive movement, get the elevations, or defer.
    Do not automatically accept that a "new" foundation is ok.

K Robertson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    What is " the beginning stages of failure"?
    An old SE once told me, "sometimes a crack is just a crack, sometimes it signs of failure, sometimes its signs of failure to come." Personally, I disagree with the comments that it's either failed or not and there is absolutely nothing in between. There is always something in between, it's just a matter of seeing it. It's like saying 1+1=2 and there is no such thing as 1.5. Sure there is and there is a 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.31,1.32, etc. There is always something in between. Just because it is difficult to detect, does not mean it doesn't exist.... but that's just my humble opinion.