Default I had the granite counter top call today!

Yep, just like clockwork! Right after the article in the ever trustworthy New York Times came out talking about granite counter tops being radioactive , the calls have started.

The caller was checking to see if I could test the granite counter tops to see if they had any radiation. I had to stop and think, and then I told him Nope. I don't even know of any protocols for doing such a test, not to mention not having the proper equipment.

So now that this scare is circulating has anyone given any thought as to what we as a profession might want to do to about this, if anything?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: I had the granite counter top call today!

Refer your clients to all the varying articles and let them make the call.

I am sure that it will turn out to be, yep, I like my granite and at this time there is nothing definitive.

Or just ask them if they glow when the lights are out.

I know, what a smart arse.

This will be the new one that lawyers will jump on the bandwagon about.

They have backed off the mold is gold plan.

I'm telling you now is the time to invest in Formica.

rick

Hey, if the realtors say its OK, thats good enough for me.

rick

Google Image Result for http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/4/8/0/7/0/ar121082323307084.jpg

It won't be long before there is a fancy logo, on-line quiz, a new certification, and SOP for testing granite counters for radon.

Ted Menelly Guest

Yeah, soon they will want every home inspector licensed in turd recognition so we can tell our clients what kind of rats they have in their home.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 07-25-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    It won't be long before there is a fancy logo, on-line quiz, a new certification, and SOP for testing granite counters for radon.

I'm betting that Nicky the certification king is on it already. How much you want to bet that he already has TM papers filed with the USPTO.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hate to tell you Rick, but Formica has asbestos in it.
    Basically, we are all doomed!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Hate to tell you Rick, but Formica has asbestos in it.
    Basically, we are all doomed!
    Jerry Mc,

Really? I didn't know that. I figured it had formaldehyde, but would not have thought asbestos.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

What is the circumference of a moose?
    7-1/3 Meese?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Well sir,
    You need to go out a buy a few rolls of 35mm film, yes the same stuff the used to take pictures with, You will also need 2 pcs. of duct tape about an inch long and a good thick black garbage bag, and a stop watch.

Some time at night before you go to bed you want to tape the end of the film to the counter top and then when all of the lights are out place the garbage bag over the film canister and pull out about 2 feet of film and tape that down.

After 37.6 min. you need to wind the film back into the canister. you need to do this in 5 or 6 places in order to get a repesentitve sampling of the entire top. Then go have the film developed.

Call me later and I can interpert your results. Now will that cash, credit card, or paypal

Bruce,

Back away from the bong dude.

Just trying to be helpful to those that may have be exposed to the granite top radiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I'm telling you now is the time to invest in Formica.
    Corian.

People who buy granite would not go with Formica.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Rick,
    Man, Daves not home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Hey, if the realtors say its OK, thats good enough for me.

rick

Google Image Result for http://activerain.com/image_store/up...2323307084.jpg
    Someone should have proof read that article - speelin' problems.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

New SoP for testing granite countertops for radon:

Materials required: 2 pieces 6 mil plastic, one large enough to enclose the countertops from the rest of the kitchen and one large enough to enclose an similar floor area adjacent to the first enclosed area.

2 radon monitors.

Step One: Measure granite countertop area as floor area.

Step Two: Enclose the granite countertop area within one plastic sheeting, lapping joints 6" and seal with duck tape inside and out if multiple pieces are required.

Step Three: Enclose a similar floor area adjacent to the countertops with plastic sheeting, lapping and sealing as above.

Step Four: Place a radon monitoring device in each plastic sheeting wrapped area, seal all edges of the plastic sheeting.

Step Five: After 72 hours remove both plastic sheeting enclosures and both radon monitoring devices. If the results are displayed on the radon monitoring device, determine the difference between the granite countertop radon monitoring device and the 'control' radon monitoring device. The difference is how much radon the granite is contributing to the background level of radon.

Use 'the difference' to scare the heck out of your clients and suggest remediation by encapsulation, and you can do that for only 100 per square foot of granite.

I will begin issuing Certified Granite Radon Measurement Technician (CGRMT) certifications on Monday for the measly sum of $500, and, for the very reasonable sum of $2,500, I will issue Certified Granite Radon Mitigation Contractor certifications (CGRMC). Your cost can be recovered in just one job! HURRY - LOW CERTIFICATION NUMBERS - 00001 to 00050 will go first for only $500 extra. Beat the rush! Sent CASH or CHECK now!

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 07-26-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Once again makes me glad I am abbynormal. Richlite and Icestone countertops at home. I've never liked granite tops. Cold, hard, porous, just not appealing to me.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Curtis Marburger Guest

Hello I am a Stone Counter top fabricator looking for some answers according to a website were i found this picture this is how you test a granite counter top.
    Can someone tell me what they are doing here ? this looks like a lot of hype to me
    Thank you

Ted Menelly Guest

The mad scientist at work

The better the show. The better the profit.

Not picking on you Radon guys.

Have any snake oil???

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Marburger View Post
    Hello I am a Stone Counter top fabricator looking for some answers according to a website were i found this picture this is how you test a granite counter top.
    Can someone tell me what they are doing here ? this looks like a lot of hype to me
    Thank you

I would say that they are either related to Rube Goldberg or they are scamming folks with a little show and tell!

Maybe this postion statement from AARST will help.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scott Patterson; 08-08-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I'll take a stab at this.

1 - Blank. An unexposed E-PERM SST. SST = S Chamber w/ Short-Term Electret. (I cannot see the electrets so I am assuming they are ST electrets.)
    2 - E-PERM SST measuring the radon concentration of the room air at the granite.

3 - E-PERM SST measuring the radon concentraion of the air inside the glass jar open at one end and sealed to the granite.

4 - E-PERM H Chamber measuring the radon flux from the granite.

5 - Looks like a gamma detector measuring gamma radiation emanating from the granite.

6 - Looks like a gamma detector measuring gamma radiation inside the cylinder that may be open at one end and sealed to the granite.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Once again makes me glad I am abbynormal. Richlite and Icestone countertops at home. I've never liked granite tops. Cold, hard, porous, just not appealing to me.
    Personally I love granite. I am one of those older dog, in construction all my life, gotta see and feel the heft and weight kind of guys.

I inspected a home the other day with a gorgeous granite. I have not seen one quite like it. Greens and browns and tans and grays, a slight bit of black. Absolutely gorgeous.

I am one of those folks that when I see a beautiful old antique (not the broken down crappy things you see nowadays that the designers and weirdos rave about) I walk by it and have to feel it and study it.

All this make believe crap you see today makes me sick. It might even look nice but most likely compressed fiber crap with a nice finish on it. The finish on it instantly tells you that you are looking at a make believe piece of crap because you would not do a finish on beautiful piece of wood like that.

Anyway, I love granite counter tops and I for one could not be talked into removing it from my home. Like I said in another post. Guys, step outside. That radiation will eventually kill you. It gives you life and kills you at the same time. I for one would not spend my life inside even if it were to give me another several years of living. I love the sun and outdoors. Yummy, all that *pollution* (thats what you should be concerning yourself with, not your granite).

I think the granite counter thing is absurd about the radon/radiation/gonna kill you thing. There is nothing I read anywhere that says it is going to do anything to me that regular normal living won't or does not all ready do.

Matter a fact I am going right now to scrape some teflon off an old pan and eat it

Just my opinion folks. Do as you may. Don't put the granite guy out of work for nothing.

Wesley Holley Guest

Fun Toys! and cheap as well.
    Now, how could excessive radiation affect a wood floor.......

eBay – Geiger Counter, Geiger and Radiation Detection items on eBay.com. Find IT on eBay.

Last edited by Wesley Holley; 08-09-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: link

Patrick McCaffery Guest

The following is from Radalink, the maker of the Radalink telemonitor. "Radalink has received numerous calls from citizens looking for a tester who can tell them if their granite countertops are eminating dangerous radon. We refer them to our affiliate list at www.radalink.com. Consequently we have received calls from affiliates looking for a countertop testing protocol. There isn't one. However, here is what we recommend:

Perform a typical test in the lowest level of the home suitable for occupancy.* In addition, deploy another monitor at least 20 inches above the granite countertop in the breathing zone. (Never place a test device directly on the countertop because if it is emanating radon, you'll be measuring it before it has been dilutted by the room air.)

If the house is a slab-on-grade or crawlspace foundation, place one monitor in a bedroom away from the kitchen and the other at least 20 inches above the kitchen countertop.

If the Rn concentrations in the room air above the countertop are not elevated, it is reasonable to conclude the countertop is not a significant contributor to the Rn levels in the home. in the breathing zone."

Personally, I think there is a lot of hype about granite countertops and not enough scientific study.

Paul LeRoy Guest

Is ya all fur reall?! How is sum one go na git smurt if ya ceep playin?!?! Im nue hear and triing tu lern.

But very funny, just the same.

Paul

This is all a plot by Corian.