Default Water heater question

Came across a gas water heater this afternoon that is puzzling me.

First it had a device in the drain pan that was for shutting off the water heater I suppose if the pan filled with water. There was some type of a electrical circuit board (in a plastic bag) laying inside the drain pan. A white alarm type box also layed in the pan but was not connected to any of the wiring. The drain line on the pan was capped off.

There was a device connected onto the cold water side of the plumbing lines with wiring to the circuit board in the pan.

The shut off valve was located on the hot water side of the tank on the return lines. Strange thing is though is that both copper flex lines were extremely hot to touch.

Any ideas? As Brett Michaels says, "Whatsa going on?"

Rick

I got the reduced copper line on the T&P by the way.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Richard Moore Guest

Default Re: Water heater question

Flood Stop Water Heater Auto Shut Off Valve 3/4 NPT - FloodStop Systems

It supposed to turn off the water supply, not the heater, in case of a leak.

With this device though is it common that it would make both supply lines on the top of the water heater hot to touch.

What about the shut-off valve being on the hot side and not the cold side?

rick

"There was some type of a electrical circuit board (in a plastic bag)"

I like how they put the sensor in a plastic bag to keep it from getting wet.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 07-26-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Richard Moore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    With this device though is it common that it would make both supply lines on the top of the water heater hot to touch.
    I don't see it doing that. I'd suspect that's a separate issue with the dip tube or heat trap.

What about the shut-off valve being on the hot side and not the cold side?
    rick
    Ummm...in your second photo, I can see a shut-off on the cold line. It's near the wall behind the solenoid and the tee.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images