Default Microwave oven clearance to range surface

The code I found says 24" unless the appliance is rated to be closer. I imagine most of the modern microwave/vent hoods are rated but how close can they be?

The one in the picture is about 14" - way too close.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Microwave oven clearance to range surface

You have to read the installation instructions for that particular unit, it varies. Code limit unless specifically listed for less.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

The cabinets above the microwave have, in the past, basically all been installed to 66" to the bottom of those cabinets.

Let's start at 66" and see what clearance was left.

start with ___________ 66"
    less for bottom cabinets 36"
    which leaves _________ 30"
    less height of micro oven 16-1/4"
    which leaves _________ 13-3/4"

The installation instructions on most over-the-range micro wave ovens used to specify 16" minimum clearance above the cooktop of the range. Many times the cooktop of the range is 1/2"-1" above the countertop, making the clearance only 12"-13".

Years ago I called Kitchenaid and Thermador and talked with their engineers. I went through the math with them - seems as though they had never done the math. They then faxed a revised set of installation instructions to be showing the new installation instructions was going to allow 14" clearance below the microwave oven, measured to the countertop instead of the cooktop of the range (allowing for their measurements to be consistent without regard to height variations in the cooktop surface).

Later, while reading some of the new microwave installation instructions, I noticed that they went back to 16", but stated that the upper cabinets the microwave needed to be 'at least at 72" above the floor', meaning they raised the top 6", taking back 2" more for clearance, giving a leeway of 4".

I've also seen some newer ones where the clearance was simply reduced to 14".

As Jim said, "You have to read the installation instructions for that particular unit, it varies."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wow, thanks... So, what is the general consensus about when to call it on an inspection? I'm guessing we don't all check the specs on each hood.... at least I know I don't

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    So, what is the general consensus about when to call it on an inspection?

Matt,

When you look at it and say to yourself, and your client, "Dang, you will never get a large pot in there, not enough height clearance, sure hope you never cook pasta."

That's a sign.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If it looks questionable on new construction, I try to check it out on line. If in doubt, I tell my customer what I know, "the clearance looks wrong and needs to be verified with the manufacturers' instructions, blah, blah, blah."
    Of course we know this will never be a problem because as we all know the installation instructions are required to be with the appliances.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Question Re: Microwave oven clearance to range surface

As usual I agree with EC Jerry in that mfg installation instructions rule, but there are times when they are nonsensical or just plain wrong.
    Example: note clearance on photo, then see GE Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven Mfg. instruction sheet. The basic problem is the 66 inch height to the bottom of the upper cabinet from floor level. This kitchen is 2 inches short of that so all that follows is wrong. No where within the Mfgs instruction do they clearly call for a clearance measurement from the bottom of their microwave to the counter or stove top.

What to do.... ??? hmmmm...... I retired.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Looks like 13 1/2 inches to me. with a minimum of 2 inches clearance to the top of the back splash.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Looks like 13 1/2 inches to me. with a minimum of 2 inches clearance to the top of the back splash.
    I look at this this way, if you have to bend over to see the stove knobs and display, then the microwave is installed too low. I generally write it up is the base of the MW is below the base of the adjacent cabinets. Just simple common sense.

Smile Re: Microwave oven clearance to range surface

24 inches is an acceptable standard,but of course there are always exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Janssen View Post
    There are minimum codes, recommended manufacturers installation instructions and the 24 inch common sense rule. Take pictures and give it your best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Babcock View Post
    I look at this this way, if you have to bend over to see the stove knobs and display, then the microwave is installed too low. I generally write it up is the base of the MW is below the base of the adjacent cabinets. Just simple common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Janssen View Post
    Thanks Guys,
    * thought this thread was dead in 08.

The above diagram was taken from a Manufactures Installation Instruction. So for at least that Model if you take the 30 inches shown to the underside of the top cabinet, subtract the 16 1/2 inch depth of the Micro Wave the clearance ( for that Model ) is 13 1/2 inches.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Billy, Threads never seem to die, once started they will live forever. Long after you are dead.

How about a kitchen designed for Little People ? Did one years ago that the counter was 24" off floor. Everything was scaled down..

[QUOTE=Billy Stephens;223905]Thanks Guys,

The above diagram was taken from a Manufactures Installation Instruction. So for at least that Model if you take the 30 inches shown to the underside of the top cabinet, subtract the 16 1/2 inch depth of the Micro Wave the clearance ( for that Model ) is 13 1/2 inches.[/QUOTE

. The question was probably dead and buried a long time ago for someone but maybe not for the newer folks north of the boarder. Otherwise there just may be someone who is newer to the business that may have questions that all of us old farts just take for granted. There are no stupid questions when someone wants to learn. There is no time limitations when it comes to the desire to learn.

Live by the minimum code, die by the minimum code.

Last edited by Ray Babcock; 04-04-2013 at 07:02 PM.

I look at this this way, if you have to bend over to see the stove knobs and display, then the microwave is installed too low.
    That is rather subjective ... a tall inspector may say it is too low, while the next inspector in as short and says that the microwave oven is at the right height because he can reach it.

The installation instructions determine whether it is too low or not. It is an entirely different issue as to whether or not it is "too low", is or is it not at a height suitable for the person using it - but that has nothing to do with whether or not it is "too low", that is the installation instructions.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Thanks Guys,

Well heck, I saw this topic on Brians FB post today, I shared it, guess it got a chance for a new life

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Well heck, I saw this topic on Brians FB post today, I shared it, guess it got a chance for a new life
    The distance between the stove top and the base of the microwave may vary between manufacturers but the main idea is if the MW is fire/heat resistant. It doesn't matter if you are in a wheel chair or are a pro basketball player. This may be an old thead to some but is still an active condition that some people still have questions about and still have spirited conversations with builders. There is no way to put this issue to rest until you consult the manufacturers installation instructions. The 30 inch rule for stove to flammable materials is the general rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Billy, Threads never seem to die, once started they will live forever. Long after you are dead.
    Maybe,

But I'm in no hurry.

The distance between the stove top and the base of the microwave may vary between manufacturers but the main idea is if the MW is fire/heat resistant.
    The units that are designed with a built-in range hood are usually pretty heat resistant. But the rubber door gasket is flammable, or at least meltable. I have a pic somewhere.

Found the pic, but have to turn it sideways. Brian!

16" of clearance, but the door gasket is melted. Maybe they had a flame show going in the fry pan, or a tall clam pot?

Last edited by John Kogel; 04-05-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Facilities Guest

The code I found says 24" unless the appliance is rated to be closer. I imagine most of the modern microwave/vent hoods are rated but how close can they be?

Hi all,
    I just got done installing a Whirlpool microwave over a gas stove. My insulation instructions stated that the microwave should be no less than 18.75" from the stove top. I was lucky that my cabinets were higher, my unit is 20.75" above the stove top.

The typical code distance is 16 to 18 inches from the bottom of the microwave to the top of the cooking surface. Some manufacturers state a preference to be as high as 24 inches, but this is often a manufacturers suggested height and not typically a code issue. Be sure and check with local codes prior to selecting and installing your own unit. Anything less than 16 inches needs to be corrected to comply with code, but more importantly, to maintain the safety of the homeowners.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Food for thought..

The individual and particular manufacturer/model/dated Listed instructions and Standards for Safety for the Range and/or cooktop must be additionally abided by and can be and often are further restrictive than that of a micro-hood or range hood! Furthermore a generic "microwave oven" which may or may not be affixed or built-in installation such as in-cabinetry or over-the-counter installation, is not necessarily a micro-hood (dually listed, properly shielded, etc. and designed & listed to be installed over a cook-top, range, cooking surface such as fryers, etc.). Another consideration is competing drafting and the configuration of type of ventilltion/ducting (to outdoors or not, and vertical, horizontal, etc.) for a range hood or micro-hood.

Failure to consult the listing standards of the vintage of the manufactured range, cooktop BELOW the hood, mircrohood, etc. is an all-to-common oversight. Rating, fuel source, etc. More than one model code may apply (such as in gas-fired or dual-fuel appliances - and the NFGC which is envoked in the listing requirements and mfg's listed instructions for same - oftentimes more restrictive than the IFGC and/or the IRC), regarding clearances - above and side.

The general rule(s) (Standards for Safety - ANSI & UL) are 30" clearance above the surface (grate support, coil, etc. not "burner" for residential (household) listed appliances and for the full width of the cooktop or range UNLESS otherwise excepted by conditions outlined within instructions, and/or the referenced standards (such as NFCG, NEC, etc. which may or may not be so designated, or identified by another reference such as its NFPA number or ANSI number & date corresponding reference or date of the underlying appliance's manufacture date) and/or additional clearances are indicated for the circumstances of installation.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    The units that are designed with a built-in range hood are usually pretty heat resistant. But the rubber door gasket is flammable, or at least meltable. I have a pic somewhere.Found the pic, but have to turn it sideways. Brian!16" of clearance, but the door gasket is melted. Maybe they had a flame show going in the fry pan, or a tall clam pot?
    JK, note the adjacent (and combustible - substrate of your pictured countertop) elevation is higher than that of your pictured range - and therefore the range is not installed/placed within the requirements of the mfg instructions nor the Standards for Safety for same. Adjacent air space for heat dissipation amognst requirements for listing and the tests for same. That range's cooktop 'spill guard bump' is also designed as a heat shield to adjacent combustibles from the heat at the cooktop/range surface so the properly placed/installed/set appliance can meet the Standards for Safety and testing for same.WAG someone used a WOK pan or griddle pan below, and let it over-pre-heat before cooking; or a moderately tall stock pot on the front higher btu, or turned on the wrong element. I recall having come across user instruction manuals cautioning against opening a microhood's doors anytime an underlying appliance top surface is or has been in use! and notations as to clearances not only to the underying appliance's cook surfaces but the clearance for cooking pots used below. Also restrictions regarding co-comittant use of the microwave compartment with open flame grill features of some gas-fuel cooktops/ranges (or dual-fuel).

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 04-24-2013 at 06:35 AM.

All good thoughts and considerations. The 30 inches of clearance refered to (as ANSI) is for the minimum distance to a combustible surface, such as a cabinet or similar. If the 30 inch clearance is used, the bottom of the microwave would be located at a minimum of 5'-6" above the floor. Adding a typical 3 inches to the interior cooking surface of the microwave gets you to 5'-9" to be able to view (at eye level only) the interior surface to place food. This would mean that the average height of the user would need to be approximately 6'-2" tall just to be able to be eye level with the interior cooking surface. If the minumum clearance distance would be lowered to 24 inches, the average user height be need to be 5'-8" just to be at eye level with the same interior cooking surface.

Kitchen designers use a 24 inch clearance as a guideline, if achieveable, but the fallacy in using this 24 inch dimension is that most microwave users are not at least 5'-8" tall and most users would prefer to be able to at least see where they are placing items for heating - not just be at eye level with the cooking surface plane. The other fallacy is that there is a greater safety risk of placing items in an over-the-range microwave due to the increased extended reach involved using a higher clearance dimension.

The actual clearance is usually dependent on the type of microwave and features being installed over the range and the rating of the unit. An 18 inch clearance is fairly low, but acceptable. It is important to refer to the manufacturers clearance requirements to start with. It is equally important to factor in the considerations of reach, height of users, and type of range being used in order to provide safe and functional operation.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Food for thought..

The individual and particular manufacturer/model/dated Listed instructions and Standards for Safety for the Range and/or cooktop must be additionally abided by and can be and often are further restrictive than that of a micro-hood or range hood! Furthermore a generic "microwave oven" which may or may not be affixed or built-in installation such as in-cabinetry or over-the-counter installation, is not necessarily a micro-hood (dually listed, properly shielded, etc. and designed & listed to be installed over a cook-top, range, cooking surface such as fryers, etc.). Another consideration is competing drafting and the configuration of type of ventilltion/ducting (to outdoors or not, and vertical, horizontal, etc.) for a range hood or micro-hood.

Failure to consult the listing standards of the vintage of the manufactured range, cooktop BELOW the hood, mircrohood, etc. is an all-to-common oversight. Rating, fuel source, etc. More than one model code may apply (such as in gas-fired or dual-fuel appliances - and the NFGC which is envoked in the listing requirements and mfg's listed instructions for same - oftentimes more restrictive than the IFGC and/or the IRC), regarding clearances - above and side.

The general rule(s) (Standards for Safety - ANSI & UL) are 30" clearance above the surface (grate support, coil, etc. not "burner" for residential (household) listed appliances and for the full width of the cooktop or range UNLESS otherwise excepted by conditions outlined within instructions, and/or the referenced standards (such as NFCG, NEC, etc. which may or may not be so designated, or identified by another reference such as its NFPA number or ANSI number & date corresponding reference or date of the underlying appliance's manufacture date) and/or additional clearances are indicated for the circumstances of installation.

Quote Originally Posted by james hambright View Post
    The typical code distance is 16 to 18 inches from the bottom of the microwave to the top of the cooking surface.
    James,

Do you have a "typical" code section in mind which states that 16" to 18" clearance?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kathy Duffy Guest

This is a gas range. I have looked at the install instruction and it doesn't give inches for a gas range. I have been blessed to have had 3 brand new homes. Each one has had an electric stove. The clearance looks like I had more inches than this one. I have to speak to the project manager and I would need something that says for gas stoves. Gas and Electric is really different as you know.

Kathy

Kathy Duffy Guest

This is a gas range. I have looked at the install instruction and it doesn't give inches for a gas range. I have been blessed to have had 3 brand new homes and each one has had an electric stove. The clearance looks like I had more inches than this one. I have to speak to the project manager and I would need something that says something specifically for gas stoves. Gas and Electric is really different as you know. I just finding out.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Duffy View Post
    This is a gas range. I have looked at the install instruction and it doesn't give inches for a gas range.
    Kathy,

It gives the clearance in an indirect way: the installation instructions will state how high the top of the microwave is to be mounted, the microwave is designed to provide clearance from its bottom down.

There may be a specific mention for gas, or maybe not.

What does the gas range state for its clearances to combustible material?

That will likely be more restrictive.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kathy Duffy Guest

Thank you all for you the information. But at the end of the day I still can't use my stove because the handle and bottom of the microwave oven gets so hot you have to use a pot holder to open the microwave door or your hand can get burnt. I would never let my granddaughter help me because of how hot it gets. I'm going out to buy a fire extinguisher.

Who would I call to have come look at my problem outside of the project manager?

Thank you again.

Kathy Duffy

Who would I call to have come look at my problem outside of the project manager?
    What brand and model number is the microwave, and same for the stove?

That will get us to the manufacturer's installation instructions, which is the only way we can offer help. With those two, we can direct you to what you need to look at, measure, and contact.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kathy Duffy Guest

Thank you all for you the information. But at the end of the day I still can't use my stove because the handle and bottom of the microwave oven gets so hot you have to use a pot holder to open the microwave door or your hand can get burnt. I would never let my granddaughter help me because of how hot it gets. I'm going out to buy a fire extinguisher.

Thank you again.

Kathy Duffy

Jerry Peck, I'm sorry if I came across rude. I never want to do that. You guys are so kind to listen to me and try to help. Sorry again.

The Micrwave Model # FGMV175QFA Frigidaire Gallery

Gas Stove Model # DGGF3045RFA Frigidaire Gallery

Kathy

For the microwave, go here: https://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...e-parts-manual , click on the "Download Manual" link if you don't have the manual, then scroll down to page 5, does it meet those clearances and heights?

For the gas range, presuming the model number starts with a "b" instead of a "d", go here: http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodin...16259336en.pdf , scroll down to page 1, does it meet those clearances?

(Added with edit: Note that the 30" arrow is pointing to the level at the top of the burners, not the top of the range itself - see the dots representing the burner, which are more visible on the side elevation drawing.)

Note that both specify a minimum of 30" above the top of the range to the lowest trim on the underside of the upper cabinet.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 04-21-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kathy Duffy Guest

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the installation Instructions.

For the gas range it seems to be installed pretty much correctly.

Maximum Depth for Cabinets Above Range Top is 13" mine is 12 1/2".

The width of the bottom Cabinets should be 25" with 1 3/8" counter top hang over and mine is 24".

I didn't understand the *Minimum to Side Wall on Either Side of Range 5". It looks like to me it should be 5" from the top of the Gas stove to the counter. Mine is 10 1/2"

The Microwave has a few differences -

Mine is 54" from the floor to the top of the Microwave. It should be 66" or more.

Mine is 12 1/2" where the Maximum should be 13" from the wall to the bottom edge of the over the Microwave cabinet.

Mine is 15 5/8 where it should be 16 1/2" the top of the Microwave to the bottom of the Microwave.

I didn't understand what the 2" were for. The space between my Microwave bottom and the top of the backsplash is 7".

I hope this helps.

Thank you again.

Kathy

Wink Re: Microwave oven clearance to range surface

Old thread, just like to add that the door gasket on that microwave is damaged and should be replaced
    ( or should have been called out along with being too low when this thread was new).

Clearance or no clearance I would not enjoy cooking with a huge microwave hanging out above the stove.
    Personal taste opinion, it also looks awful

Last edited by Elizabeth Chambers; 04-22-2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Punctuation

The Microwave has a few differences -

Mine is 54" from the floor to the top of the Microwave. It should be 66" or more.
    Kathy,

That 12" would be the extra space you don't have below the microwave to the range.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Kathy,

That 12" would be the extra space you don't have below the microwave to the range.
    I should have added: That means it is not installed in accordance with its listing and labeling, which includes the manufacturer's installation instructions ... which means that installation doesn't meet code.

Code requires things to be installed in accordance with their listing and labeling, and in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

The builder needs to correct that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kathy Duffy Guest

Dear Jerry,

Thank you so much for the help. I have been working on getting this taken care of for 19 months. I now have something to take to them and see if the Town inspector will come out and check it for code. I had gone into the Town office myself and was given a regular guy and knew nothing about code, not even an inspector. You have been great, I wish I could repay you some how.

I will keep you informed about my progress. Thank you again.

Kathy

Updates on the progress? Seems like the client doesn't like to cook with pots with that clearance.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lewis View Post
    The same 66" minimum to the top of the microwave as stated below - that seems to be the constant measurement.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I am going to buy and install Over the Range Microvawe. I think about GE JNM7196SFSS OTR. I have read some recommendationsabout it at https://themybuy.com/5-best-over-the-range-microwaves/. It has a powerful exhaust fan but it will be good to know if it is a good idea to install it at a height of 50 centimeters above the stove so that it fits into the overall design of the kitchen or it is better to raise it higher in spite of the powerful exhaust fan? I have not read the instructions yet but I think that there is a general rule for such needs.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcparkers View Post
    Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I am going to buy and install Over the Range Microvawe. I think about GE JNM7196SFSS OTR. I have read some recommendationsabout it at https://themybuy.com/5-best-over-the-range-microwaves/. It has a powerful exhaust fan but it will be good to know if it is a good idea to install it at a height of 50 centimeters above the stove so that it fits into the overall design of the kitchen or it is better to raise it higher in spite of the powerful exhaust fan? I have not read the instructions yet but I think that there is a general rule for such needs.
    michaelcparkers,

The reality is the best bet is to review and follow the installation instructions for both the range and the microwave (apparently microvawe in Florida). The manufacturers will have the most accurate information and the instructions should be followed to maintain the listing of both appliances.

You should be able to download the microwave's instructions from the GE website. Depending on how old your range is, you might or might not be able to find that documentation.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

If space is an issue, get one of the those Whirlpool "low profile" OTR models. clever design.

https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/co...l75011hz.html?