All American Guest

Default Home staging for Real Estate Sale

Do you ever inspect a home that seems to be in need of a little extra TLC to get buyers interested? I am not referring to those issues that require a carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc. But rather those areas involving "clutter", "cleaning", "organizing" and removal of excess personal decorative items. My business offers this type of service and I am interested in perhaps networking with inspectors and the like to assist homeowners to get their property sold. Any pearls of wisdom or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Home staging for Real Estate Sale

Wellcome to the board. you may want to check with the sellers and there agents to see if there are any interior areas of a home that may have damage or in need to correction that staging may cover up.

I have had owners put furnishing over holes in the flooring. covering over windows that hid damage. place Vanilla in every room to cover the cat odor. Get the owner to correct things first then make it look nice paint and so on.

Hope this helps Not to be so neg.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 07-27-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Wellcome to the board. you may want to check with the sellers and there agents to see if there are any interior areas of a home that may have damage or in need to correction that staging may cover up.

I have had owners put furnishing over holes in the flooring. covering over windows that had damage. place Vanilla in every room to cover the cat odor. Get the owner to correct things first then make it look nice paint and so on.

Hope this helps Not to be so neg.

Best

Ron

I agree with Ron

To hide, cover up, sugar coat with out actually fixing anything tells folks that the sellers must think they are stupid or something and kills the affect you are trying to create and puts a negative picture in the buyers mind they won't over come and walk. Especially when we come out with the report with half the report highlighted in red.

"Gees, I guess they thought they could pull one over on us"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

"Gees, I guess they thought they could pull one over on us"
    Like the wash cloth over the Rust spot on the bathtub.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

All American, sorry for the negative slant the responses have taken. We home inspectors tend to be a little suspicious .
    From you post, you set the limits that are well within the bounds of ethical behavior and most definitely could be of use to sellers and realtor.
    That being said, inspectors by definition don't have a "dog in the hunt" in seeing that houses sell or realtors make money. The vast majority of our service is provided for buyers and uncovering defects. So we would not be your best source of referrals.
    I have seen many times when furnishings were intentionally placed to hide defects and the preferred method would be to fix the problem not just cover it up.
    If you could work on the de-cluttering, that would be great! Just don't hide the stuff in the basement, garage or attic, since that just makes life harder for everyone. Buyers and home inspectors need access to every corner of the house.
    Good luck!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I have been in many homes that were staged by professionals. I didn't view it as someone coming in to cover stuff up, but someone trying to make the property more attractive for sale.

WE are always at the mercy of the homeowner trying to cover up a defect, it's just part of the job.

While I do think that staging is a valuable service for sellers, we generally don't travel in the same circles as the sellers, so we don't usually have an chance to promote your services. I would think the gatekeeper is the Realtor.

William Brady Guest

Hello All American,

I think your point was about stagging (furniture, paintings, flowers) and the like to make the home look great for those who walk in. Lots of that going on in my area and I suspect in most markets. As others have said I don't think we are a good source for your business however we would all be greatful if someone would tell sellers to clean up so an inspection can be done. I get tired to saying to my clients I can't inspect that because so much stuff in piled up in front of it. Look under the sink in the kitchen you will be supprise as to what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by William Brady View Post

Look under the sink in the kitchen you will be surprise as to what you find.
    Ah Bill,

We can't sweat the Lady like that. You Know Nobody Important Looks Under the Sink.

BTW Grandson (almost 3 months ) dropping by for a visit tomorrow, great about giving me Surprises, Yeah I still remember how to change them.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.