Default Cement board panels with plastic drainage plane spacer

New to me, cement board panel system with plastic drainage-plane spacer material.

These panels are about 2x4', each attached to the underlying plywood sheeting with six screws, house wrap above the plywood with a Brillo-pad like material creating a drainage plane.

Can anyone identify the system, so I can run down the manufacturer's installation instructions?

Also, it seems to me like these openings are an invitation to insect nesting. Is anyone aware of such a problem?

Any other comments on this system, or inspecting it?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 07-27-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Inspection Referral
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Curt Downham Guest

Default Re: Cement board panels with plastic drainage plane spacer

Hi Michael,

It looks alot like Cedar Breather Material by Benjamin Obdyke. I have attached the website I hope this helps you out.

Benjamin Obdyke: Residential Roof Materials, Wall System Products

I am not all that familiar with the Installation and uses for this product either but I will be looking into it along with you as I am just getting into the home inspection business after 20 yrs as a Carpenter and Contractor.

Michael,

May also be one of these products, but yellow mat appears to be from BO as Curt posted

Being touted around as the fix-all to moisture problems with all types of siding materials. Properly installing the flashing products would resolve many of these. jmo

I can hear them now, put this mat on and forget all those pesky flashing details all will be well

WaterWay Rainscreen Drainage Mats

Last edited by BARRY ADAIR; 07-30-2008 at 03:53 AM.
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Mike Anderson Guest

It looks like that home (or house) slicker product I have used a couple times in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. It works ok and I have not heard of any problems with it as far as bugs etc. When the siding is nailed on it sucks the nailed areas down much tighter than the rest of the siding and makes the walls look really wavy.

The architect that used to spec it all the time apprears to have stopped. I think it was due to the appearance of the finished product.

Geoff Ehrman Guest

The product is "Home Slicker" and comes in 6mm and 10mm thickness. The company sells a "starter screen" that is installed at the bottom. Product is also sold with a non woven attached for stucco/stone applications and also one w Typar housewrap attached. The combination products have superior compression resistance.

Residential Roof Materials and Ventilation, Wall System Products

Jim Schwarz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Downham View Post
    Hi Michael,

It looks alot like Cedar Breather Material by Benjamin Obdyke. I have attached the website I hope this helps you out.

Benjamin Obdyke: Residential Roof Materials, Wall System Products

I am not all that familiar with the Installation and uses for this product either but I will be looking into it along with you as I am just getting into the home inspection business after 20 yrs as a Carpenter and Contractor.
    Good catch, I was wondering where I recognized the yellow meshing from.

Attractive looking building, but like you mentioned it seems like an ideal nesting ground for insects.