Thread: Snakes????????

Jim Zborowski Guest

Default Snakes????????

OK, do any of you have any idea how to dicourage garden snakes from inhabiting your yard? It seems my daughter in law is getting freeked out by having several in the yard. In fact, so are the neighbors.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Snakes????????

Keeping the grass cut low is one of the best things.

Dont' leave debris against the walls of the home as this makes a nice area for the snakes to harbor.

Buy her a .44 magnum

The .44 will take care of the snakes, and her being seen with it should chase and keep the neighbors out of her yard. Pesky Neighbors.

rick

Get a mongoose for a pet. They eat snakes.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Get a dog. no more Snakes.

Best

Ron

Not a big fan of cats, but a good outdoor cat (mouser) is good at catching snakes. I had one years ago out in the country that had a copperhead stopped out in front of the house just waiting on me to come home. I killed it and the cat just walked off since the fun was over. She was just interested in catching and playing with them. That was the only cat I have ever really liked, she earned her keep.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Zborowski View Post
    OK, do any of you have any idea how to dicourage garden snakes from inhabiting your yard? It seems my daughter in law is getting freeked out by having several in the yard. In fact, so are the neighbors.
    Yep, I know something that will work.

An old time cure for snakes in the yard is common moth ball. No, not the ones that are flying around, you have to use the ones that come in a box and are used to repel moths in closet.

They will last for a week or so but that will be long enough to chase the snakes and other pest away. Cats and dogs won't eat them but you need to tell and instruct your children not to play with them.

Sprinkle the little balls around the edge of the yard or whenever you have a snake problem. Place them about 3 feet apart. I have been told that the moth crystals will work, but they don't last very long.

When I had a large Koi pond I had a major problem with snakes trying to eat free Koi Sushi! The moth balls placed around the edge of the pond stopped the free Koi buffet.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Ya I think moth balls are under rated. One can multi task with just a hand full. There great at keeping kids out of the cookie jar .

My wife will not go near my garage and all my stuff as long as the moth balls are fresh.

If your cat like to spray around your house just put some moth balls down that will fix the little sucker.

If your a good looking guy and can't keep the young girls away! ! !
    Good old moth balls will. just keep a few in your pocket.

Best

Ron

Buy her a .44 magnum

Actually a 410 shotgun is probably a better weapon of choice. You have a better chance of actually hitting the snake, it's not nearly as loud, and you don't have much of a chance of getting hit with blowback for the rocks and crap you will hit.

I used to have a little 410 pistol grip shotgun called the snake charmer that was perfect for walking in the desert rock collecting. MY Dad used to collect rocks (glad I didn't inherit that hobby), and I would tag along and carry the gun.

Jim Zborowski Guest

Thanks for te ideas guys.

Michael Greenwalt Guest

If you want to get rid of snakes, get rid of the reason for them being there....food. Find the source and get rid of that. I live in a rural area and we have snakes here often. Keeping them away from the house is fairly easy though by getting rid of our most common issue, frogs. But smaller snakes make great meals out of bugs, crickets, etc..Usually you can spray for these.

Hint, want to cut down on spiders? Get rid of the ants. Ants are a favorite food choice of many spiders.

Jeff Spencer Guest

Or, you could just concentrate the amphibians so you always know where the snakes will be...............

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

In obtaining moth balls how does one identify a male moth from a female moth? Also, doesn't that hurt those little guys?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Richard Moore Guest

Someone had to go there, didn't they? Might as well complete it...

Q: If I have a moth ball in my left hand and another in my right hand, what do I have?

A: A very large moth!

Sorry!

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    Someone had to go there, didn't they? Might as well complete it...

Q: If I have a moth ball in my left hand and another in my right hand, what do I have?

A: A very large moth!

Sorry!
    Richard thats BAD....BAD....BAD.... L.O.L.

Best

Ron

from my pond

Ron Bibler Guest

Have you ever had frog legs ? Tast like chicken.
    Made a frog leg pizza one time very good.
    Takes about 30 frogs to make anything.

Best

Ron

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-03-2008 at 09:53 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Frank Mauck Guest

Tell her to get a Pot-Belly Pig for a pet. Pigs will eat snakes they will also eat the grubs that are destorying their lawn. They make good pets, they can be house broken, they are smarter than dogs, most localities do not have the $10.00 a year dog tax, there feed is cheaper than dog food, they do not bark and disturb your neighbors and family, and the best reason to have a Pot-Belly Pig is when you get tired of feeding it, it can feed you