JD Johnson Guest

Default Melted PVC Drain

I recently came across this condition, and was just wondering if anyone had an idea what may have caused this? This drain line if below a kitchen sink, Do you think this damage to the a chemical drain cleaner? Or some other type of chemical?

Thanks for your insight, and inspect well!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Melted PVC Drain

Pouring really hot water, such as from cooking spaghetti, can cause PVC to deform. Hot grease can burn through it. But the inside of the PVC looks clean. I suspect contact with flame. I don't think drain cleaner will do that.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Looks like a fire under the sink to me but what I would really like to know is What is that screw jack doing in there?

Richard Stanley Guest

Fire. Wiring is burned also. Cigarette in trash can stored under sink. PVC on right is replacement for drain pipe. Screw jack is to hold counter top up to near sink level. Those are my guesses. I wasn't there.

Talking Re: Melted PVC Drain

Hey Richard, You missed the Arboretum under there.HAHA

External flame source, not chemical.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

JD Johnson Guest

The photo was taken from the crawlspace, so this drain is BELOW the sub floor - I didn't see any indication of an external fire, but the outside of the elbow looked burned. I am guessing that hot grease was the most likely culpert...but it may have been a cigerette (or similar) tossed down the drain which caused ignition of some flamable substance that had been poured down there.

A couple of you commented on the jack and there was plenty wrong with the foundation, but I didn't show you this yet -this photo is an example of the professionally installed supply plumbing. This photo shows necked down CPVC supply to the kitchen sink (on the left side) connected to white PVC (in the center), connected to to gray electrical conduit (on the right side) of the photo. I wish the picture was clearer - but I was anxous to get out of that crawl space. There was also PCV used to and from the water heater - with no shut-off, of course.

Oh, and the Listing Agent told me that the Seller was a licensed contractor ;-) - honest!

Hope you don't find too many of these out there. Inspect safely - jd

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

That's Fire Damage.

Looks like ( AKA. appears ) to be manufactured housing with a temporary ( not allowed by HUD) skirt.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

JD Johnson Guest

This is a stick built "cabin", the skirting was added when the house was freshen up with a new layer of fiber cement siding .

Is this potential from hot mop roof , tar down vent pipe?? or is this from possible fire?

Could it be someone was sweating a copper pipe joint and burned the surrounding stuff?

JD Johnson Guest

There was no metal pipe in the whole house; and the vent terminated under the soffit. I appreciate the suggestions, but I guess we'll never know.

Inspect safely - jd

Any young males in the home? Ages from about 5-15? Juvenile fire-setting is a problem throughout the country and if you found no other source for this and no other flame damage I would suspect something along that line until I could rule it out. This damage is in all likelihood from direct flame contact and not from any chemical source. In 20+ years as a firefighter I have seen a number of these cases. However this is beyond what we as Home Inspectors do. If you found no other damage and you can not identify a likely source, just report the damage, do not speculate on the cause and move on.
    Alton Darty
    ATN Services
    ATN Services : Home

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Looks like my toilet did after the last chili night in our house.

Paul Johnston Guest

Possibly frozen and used a torch to heat the pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnston View Post
    Possibly frozen and used a torch to heat the pipe?
    A Very Large Crack Pipe ?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.