Default GFCI requirement

Is an outlet required to be GFCI protected on a wall behind a kitchen sink below an opening/pass thur with shelf, from kitchen to dining area , outlet is in the dining area, less than 6' from sink?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

David Banks Guest

Default Re: GFCI requirement

This was discussed in recent past and I believe the outcome was it is not a requirement. Only counter space in the kitchen. You could always recommend one for safety after you explain to your client the reasoning.

Thanks David.
    BTW.. Good luck on your new job.
    Looking forward to any info that you can pass along on your new energy related job that may help others expand their services in the private sector.

Richard Moore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    ... You could always recommend one for safety after you explain to your client the reasoning.
    I agree with that. We have no way of knowing how a future homeowner is going to use that receptacle.

Scenario(s): Homeowner decides the shelf is a great place for his lava lamp collection, plugged into that wall receptacle. While doing dishes at the sink, a guest in the dining area asks him to turn them on. He does so with one wet hand on the switch and another on the faucet. OR, maybe worse...guest, while passing dirty dishes through to person doing dishes, knocks lava lamp off shelf and into sink.

Whether a "technical" requirement or not (frankly, not sure on that), this is one of those situations where common sense would dictate a strong recommendation for a GFCI.

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Thanks David.
    BTW.. Good luck on your new job.
    Looking forward to any info that you can pass along on your new energy related job that may help others expand their services in the private sector.
    Dan. I use to live in Scottsdale in my 20's many moons ago. Worked on a concrete crew for local builder in Mesa/ Chandler way. We would start at 3:30 in the morning to beat the heat. They would bring in big mobile lights. By 9am it was 90 degrees.I think we quit by 11-12am.
    I use to go up to Tortilla Flat and the Superstition Mountains on weekends. Nice area.

Brian Thomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    I agree with that. We have no way of knowing how a future homeowner is going to use that receptacle.

Scenario(s): Homeowner decides the shelf is a great place for his lava lamp collection, plugged into that wall receptacle. While doing dishes at the sink, a guest in the dining area asks him to turn them on. He does so with one wet hand on the switch and another on the faucet. OR, maybe worse...guest, while passing dirty dishes through to person doing dishes, knocks lava lamp off shelf and into sink.

Whether a "technical" requirement or not (frankly, not sure on that), this is one of those situations where common sense would dictate a strong recommendation for a GFCI.
    I agree 100%. It may not be a requirement because its on the other side but if its still w/i 6' of water then I would at least recommend it to the client as a safety upgrade. Cant hurt to recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    less than 6' from sink?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    if its still w/i 6' of water
    I keep telling everyone *Forget the 6' rule.*, that only applied from 1987 until 1996 (if I remember correctly without referring to my GFCI page).

Now (from 1996 on) it is all receptacle outlets which serve the countertop.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com